Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
salokcinnodrog

Otter Petition

It's a good job I can't swear...this has absolutely made my blood boil. It's absolutely frigging pathetic.

Less than 3000 signatures.

Fair play to most of the 'names' in our sport...they have all been tweeting and FB posting the link.

The result just proves what an apathetic, useless waste of space we are as a group.

:evil::evil::evil:

Sad but true.

It's a good job I can't swear...this has absolutely made my blood boil. It's absolutely frigging pathetic.

Fair play to most of the 'names' in our sport...they have all been tweeting and FB posting the link.

The result just proves what an apathetic, useless waste of space we are as a group.

Can I quote that on my FB?

Anglers and this nation as a whole are apathetic and think that someone else will do it.

I don't know how many posts I've made pushing this forward, various shares on FB, fresh posts, C&P's etc, yet the total signatures rises oh so slowly.

There is no way we are going to get anything like the 100,000 we need to get it noticed.

Then as anglers we will moan that fishery prices on day ticket and club lakes will go up to cater for the cost of fencing, restocking when if we had gotten onto http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/27441 and done our bit in the first place we may not have needed to.

I'm not moaning at the anglers on this forum, we have done our bit, getting noticed, pushing the petition and signing it ourselves, but we still need to do more, and that more may sadly not be enough.

@OtterPredation_: Wondering why so little few have signed the otter petition.Have people had enough and just accepted it? Lack of awareness? What's your view?

personally i think a lot of anglers are in the frame of mind that oh well someone else will sort it. the carping fraternity out of all the styles of fishing seem to be the most concerned about all things rural, fish welfare,animal welfare.

His reply

@OtterPredation_: @andyfishfan Could well be right with that. I'm sure there's a fair amount of laziness about it. Like not joining the @AnglingTrust for one

My reply

@andyfishfan: @OtterPredation_ also would help if fishery owners, tackle & bait manufacturers and big names pushed and publicised this more on f.b & twit

His reply

@OtterPredation_: @andyfishfan Agreed. There needs to be more awareness raised by these companies. Why are they holding back? What are they scared of?

Unfortunately we are a nation of moaners not do'ers

It’s nothing to do with our nation; it’s just the apathy of anglers and the angling industry that’s the problem. Look at the RSPB, they have over one million members, and they mobilise, protest and campaign every time there’s any bird related issue. Why do you think nothing has been done to control the Cormorant population.

The sad truth is that most anglers are prepared to sit by and watch their sport destroyed.

I'm not blaming the youth- as they have got problems of their own and its down to adults to sort this one. But the culture of fishing (and that of programming and fishing education) has changed.

John Wilson used to sit fishing for any species chuckling at Geese or pointing out unusual flowers in the meadow...whilst catching a few.

Now its all Munga, Bit's of plastic and rigs.

Anglers seem to have lost the connection to nature.

Please take 5 mins to do this guys ***IMPORTANT OTTER NEWS

All, please take a couple of minutes to complete this for Rob Hughes.

http://t.co/ECnoSx78

Done it, but I think that some of the questions may be fishery orientated over individual.

I don't know what the local club may have lost down to the otters that are in the area. Come to that the local club probably don't know what they have lost :roll:

And for local fisheries to be able to deal with the problem, and trap remove or destroy otters, then they should be licensed, which most fisheries in the country aren't.

I think it's just to test the water. Especially as its rob hales doing it

Who knows where it'll lead, but better than nothing. Another avenue ( no pun intended) into possible controls , who knows, can't hurt

I emphasise this is not me having a go, especially not at you cobleyn but I'm actually shocked at how much support this appallingly worded petition actually got.

Its opening line: "The illegal release of otters is posing a potentially disastrous threat to Britain’s wildlife."

It's an absolute joke starting off with such an unprovable statement! Does anyone have any evidence at all to support this claim, no matter how tenuous it might be?

Then there is this: "These hand-reared predators have no fear of man."

Again, is there evidence to support this claim, I think not?

Is it not plausible that otters have shed their fear as a result of them having no need to fear us?

The closing sentense: "We also urge the Environment Agency to tackle the existing population of otters in the best way possible."

Well sorry but the EA will simply state the best way possible is to see how things pan out.

Whereas had it asked for thorough investigation into the effects on fish stocks (both river and stillwater) where otters are a 'perceived' problem. I can't help but think it would've gained greater backing and actually have served a useful purpose if it was worded better.

On a positive note; once a few 'names' got involved, look at the momentum it gained.