Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
salokcinnodrog

Otter Petition

personally i think a lot of anglers are in the frame of mind that oh well someone else will sort it. the carping fraternity out of all the styles of fishing seem to be the most concerned about all things rural, fish welfare,animal welfare.

Your assumptions are based on what?

You make a good point...not,the best written piece.

But fair play to the lad that started it. At least he did something. It took a year and a BBC documentary to get a bit of momentum. I do stress the word 'bit'.

I wonder how fast the EA would start netting waters if anglers started stocking catfish into nature reserves where the twitchers reside (and the cute little birdies got nailed off the top).

Guys what's the rules with these E petitions...Can a better worded one be started ?

So far as I'm aware, any UK citizen can start a Government E petition and within reason it can be worded how you like.

I'm not knocking the petition's author but he has started numerous ones. Whereas if he sat back and nailed a 'good un' inciting real support/backing and with clear concise aims/goals, he'd achieve so much more.

How i understand it is, within reason you can start a petition about anything this one will fail in a few days so i see no reason to retitle and start a new one .

In my opinion it will be a waste of time .This one did not fail because of the wording it failed because not enough people care enough .

Guys what's the rules with these E petitions...Can a better worded one be started ?

So far as I'm aware, any UK citizen can start a Government E petition and within reason it can be worded how you like.

I'm not knocking the petition's author but he has started numerous ones. Whereas if he sat back and nailed a 'good un' inciting real support/backing and with clear concise aims/goals, he'd achieve so much more.

I'm certainly not knocking it...was just wondering

This a response that I got today from the BBC about my complaint.

It appears that Springwatch has a remit outside of the BBC's normal "in the interest of fairness/non biased" approach.

Dear Mr. Wilson

Thank you for contacting us about ‘Springwatch Guide to Otters’.

Whilst we appreciate some viewers would have preferred we went into more detail in discussing the negative impact otters can have on the environment, in keeping with the remit of Springwatch since it began in 2005, Guide to Otters was primarily about the animal’s range, morphology and behavioural ecology, with field craft hints for members of the audience who may wish to spot one for themselves.

This film was intended as a study of otters, their behaviour and the recent indication that they are making a steady comeback; including a look at some of the impact of this comeback. We covered some of the issues that arise from the interface between otters and humans. This included a range of statements and opinions from various viewpoints and those who don’t agree that the comeback is good news - for example pond owners and commercial fisheries. We appreciate you would have liked us to have gone into more detail on this aspect and the programme makers have been made aware of your views.

We'd also like to assure you that we've registered your complaint on our Audience Log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that’s made available to all BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive board, channel controllers and other senior managers.

The Audience Logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions on future BBC programmes and content.

Once again, thank you for contacting us.

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints :roll::roll:

But fair play to the lad that started it. At least he did something. It took a year and a BBC documentary to get a bit of momentum. I do stress the word 'bit'.

I wonder how fast the EA would start netting waters if anglers started stocking catfish into nature reserves where the twitchers reside (and the cute little birdies got nailed off the top).

I agree, that the wording could have been better. Yet who else had the guts to start to make a stand?

Now if you act immediately at your first thoughts, you will do something to present your case, with the pure emotion that you are feeling. However, if you have a few minutes, or time to marshall your thoughts, then you will usually act or present a better case than your original wordings.

Its a hard line, between that pure emotion, and the proper presentation.

Yes, we could do with facts and figures, yet we have pictures (albeit some may need verification), we have some video or camera footage, and unfortunately it is impossible to put them all in a petition.

BBC did their programme as nature, not as an angling perspective. We may feel aggrieved that they did so, but anglers aren't the mainstream. The house sitting apathetic, hobbyless, nature (when it is outside) loving person is the UK majority population.

As anglers we are sometimes apathetic, outdoor people, and see the real world. We see nature, we see things along the river bank, we see things by the lakes. Not every UK householder has seen the sparrows at any other location than their garden, many have never seen a moorhen, and most have never seen an otter and their behaviour.

I agree, that the wording could have been better. Yet who else had the guts to start to make a stand?

Now if you act immediately at your first thoughts, you will do something to present your case, with the pure emotion that you are feeling. However, if you have a few minutes, or time to marshall your thoughts, then you will usually act or present a better case than your original wordings.

Its a hard line, between that pure emotion, and the proper presentation.

Yes, we could do with facts and figures, yet we have pictures (albeit some may need verification), we have some video or camera footage, and unfortunately it is impossible to put them all in a petition.

BBC did their programme as nature, not as an angling perspective. We may feel aggrieved that they did so, but anglers aren't the mainstream. The house sitting apathetic, hobbyless, nature (when it is outside) loving person is the UK majority population.

As anglers we are sometimes apathetic, outdoor people, and see the real world. We see nature, we see things along the river bank, we see things by the lakes. Not every UK householder has seen the sparrows at any other location than their garden, many have never seen a moorhen, and most have never seen an otter and their behaviour.

Spot on post.

EVERY angler in the UK should (must) join the Angling Trust if we are to have a voice to be listened to... www.anglingtrust.co.uk

personally i think a lot of anglers are in the frame of mind that oh well someone else will sort it. the carping fraternity out of all the styles of fishing seem to be the most concerned about all things rural, fish welfare,animal welfare.

well just look at the amount of anglers that have signed it, if you offset that against the amount of anglers in the uk. its as clear as the nose on your face...... they cant be bothered, and assume the problem will go away . it gets left to the few dedicated anglers to make the right noises. its always been the same in this country you get the "doers" and the talkers who are full of bs and leave everything to everyone else and wont stand shoulder to shoulder with their peers....... so thats how i base my oppinion, and if you dont like it i make no appologies....

well just look at the amount of anglers that have signed it, if you offset that against the amount of anglers in the uk. its as clear as the nose on your face...... they cant be bothered, and assume the problem will go away . it gets left to the few dedicated anglers to make the right noises. its always been the same in this country you get the "doers" and the talkers who are full of bs and leave everything to everyone else and wont stand shoulder to shoulder with their peers....... so thats how i base my oppinion, and if you dont like it i make no appologies....

You missed out those who won't sign petitions because they feel they don't/won't do any good. I for one believe petitions are a waste of time, ok they may get looked at but I'm sure they just get filed away and forgotten. This petition about Otters will almost certainly be dismissed, Otters are here to stay so we'd better get used to it.

Malc

You missed out those who won't sign petitions because they feel they don't/won't do any good. I for one believe petitions are a waste of time, ok they may get looked at but I'm sure they just get filed away and forgotten. This petition about Otters will almost certainly be dismissed, Otters are here to stay so we'd better get used to it.

Malc

so let me get this right.. you wont sign a petition because you think no one will look at it, correct? but id like to bet you still moan about the problem, thats the trouble with britain too many people like yourself just roll over and give in and its left to others to get sorted. i say grow some and get it signed

Malc

so let me get this right.. you wont sign a petition because you think no one will look at it, correct? but id like to bet you still moan about the problem, thats the trouble with britain too many people like yourself just roll over and give in and its left to others to get sorted. i say grow some and get it signed

Pete dont see any need to be rude we are all entitled to our own opinions and he's right they are here to stay.

Malc

No mate, you got that wrong. I said I think petitions are a waste of time. As a matter of fact I signed this petition ages ago and yes I do moan. So rather than telling me to grow some and saying I roll over and leave it to others, may I suggest, politely, that you read my post again.

Malc

Malc

quite agree Malc....they are definitely here to stay...so lets get working on how they can be managed correctly....how the devil are you mate??....good christmas I trust??

Del

I'm good thanks Del, apart from having to go back to work in a mo. Christmas was good, just had the 2 days off. Hope you're on the road to recovery. Happy New Year to you as well.

i agree they are here to stay, and i agree that they dont need to be eradicated but managed as do cormorants, rats, rabbits, pigeons and lots more that are classed as pests. if i came across as being rude then i appologise as that was not my intention at all i do know my manors believe it or not. however i prefer to be more pro active when a problem arises and not passive as many anglers and of course non anglers tend to be. and as i said earlier i will not appologise for my beliefs just because someone else doesnt like it. if anyone cares to read through the previous posts on this thread there are plenty of forum members screaming for the eradication of otters.

I'm good thanks Del, apart from having to go back to work in a mo. Christmas was good, just had the 2 days off. Hope you're on the road to recovery. Happy New Year to you as well.
and to you mate too.....slowly getting there thanks mate :wink:

i agree they are here to stay, and i agree that they dont need to be eradicated but managed as do cormorants, rats, rabbits, pigeons and lots more that are classed as pests. if i came across as being rude then i appologise as that was not my intention at all i do know my manors believe it or not. however i prefer to be more pro active when a problem arises and not passive as many anglers and of course non anglers tend to be. and as i said earlier i will not appologise for my beliefs just because someone else doesnt like it. if anyone cares to read through the previous posts on this thread there are plenty of forum members screaming for the eradication of otters.

by the way i had a tear in my eye when i watched Tarka the otter :oops::oops::(

if the government bodies fail to manage it that article will be in the paper every week. this is why as a massive body of anglers we should stand together as a united front we need to be heard to save our fisheries and rivers. otherwise we will all be going fishin in great indoor arenas.

Fair play to him. If it starts to cost the EA some money it might go up on their agenda a bit.

As a side issue I wonder if Terry Nutkins ever got any compensation for his finger?

the damn things are in TWO waters i fish, about 500 yards from each other so i am hoping it is the same on and not different ones? any idea how far their range is (territory)