Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
salokcinnodrog

Otter Petition

the damn things are in TWO waters i fish, about 500 yards from each other so i am hoping it is the same on and not different ones? any idea how far their range is (territory)

They range a hell of a lot further than 500 yards.

It all depends on the food source in their area....a few hundred metres...upto 20/30 km believe it or not

I would say so mate.....fingers crossed its not a dog and bitch release and is just a dog ranging its ground
damn right mate. the person who spotted it on one of the lakes said its a dog, and he knows whats what. a member of the public spotted it on the other lake (one side is public access :evil: ) and he took a pic and sent it to the papers so i here, yet to see the pics though

I would say so mate.....fingers crossed its not a dog and bitch release and is just a dog ranging its ground
damn right mate. the person who spotted it on one of the lakes said its a dog, and he knows whats what. a member of the public spotted it on the other lake (one side is public access :evil: ) and he took a pic and sent it to the papers so i here, yet to see the pics though
fingers crossed for you mate...have they been common sightings around you aside from this one Gaz??

fingers crossed for you mate...have they been common sightings around you aside from this one Gaz??
not common but on and off tbh. there was one spotted ont eh same lake about 3 years ago but only seen the once which i thought was strange but maybe not? there has been one spotted on another lake a mile away and signs of one 3 miles away

could still be the same one mate so keep your fingers crossed.....damn shame that people didnt have the decency or foresight to approach anglers before releasing...very irresponsible...but its done and it needs a very in depth study now from both sides eh

personally i think a lot of anglers are in the frame of mind that oh well someone else will sort it. the carping fraternity out of all the styles of fishing seem to be the most concerned about all things rural, fish welfare,animal welfare.

Your assumptions are based on what?

well just look at the amount of anglers that have signed it, if you offset that against the amount of anglers in the uk. its as clear as the nose on your face...... they cant be bothered, and assume the problem will go away . it gets left to the few dedicated anglers to make the right noises. its always been the same in this country you get the "doers" and the talkers who are full of bs and leave everything to everyone else and wont stand shoulder to shoulder with their peers....... so thats how i base my oppinion, and if you dont like it i make no appologies....

So you're basing your assumptions on the fact that it's mainly carp anglers that have signed what is essentially a pointless petition. I use the word pointless loosely because in truth aimless would probably be a better term.

As when all said and done, IF the petition's author had even a shred of evidence to back up his claims, he'd be told the same thing regardless of the number signatures he gets.

Go to the relevant authorities!!

So if the main signatories being carp anglers shows you they care most, then so be it, I'm not going to try and change your mindset.

could still be the same one mate so keep your fingers crossed.....damn shame that people didnt have the decency or foresight to approach anglers before releasing...very irresponsible...but its done and it needs a very in depth study now from both sides eh

That's not quite true; the Anglers Conservation Association (now Fish Legal) were approached by the Nation Rivers Authority (now The Environment Agency) and the Nature Conservancy Council (now Natural England) in the early 80's and the ACA opted not to enter into discussions.

I am wholly in agreement with you that detailed studies need undertaking NOW.

Angling Trust acts to relocate seal to

protect Severn fish stocks

The Angling Trust is demanding urgent action to remove a seal which has taken up residence in Bewdley on the River Severn, some 75 miles from its natural home in the sea, and has been eating its way through large numbers of the local coarse fish population.

Bewdley is a very important stretch of river for fishing in the UK, and contains a number of large barbel, pike and chub, among other species. The seal has been observed eating large numbers of these fish every day for several months and it is now endangering the future of angling in the town, which is an important source of income for local shops and businesses. The mammal has also been spotted eating ducks and large pike, which are normally safe from any predators on the river.

Although the seal has been in the river since October 2012, Angling's representative body the Angling Trust was only notified of its presence shortly before Christmas. Most seals that come into rivers do not stay for long, and return to the sea in a few days. However this creature has taken a liking to the area, possibly because members of the public have apparently been feeding it.

The Angling Trust has written to the Environment Agency urging them to take action to remove the seal both to protect local fish stocks from unsustainable predation and to protect the seal itself. The creature can be lawfully shot on receipt of a licence from Natural England but anglers would rather it was returned safely to the sea where it belongs. Sadly, this request has been declined by the Environment Agency despite their statutory duty to 'maintain, develop and improve' fisheries in England and Wales and the fact that they have helped with the removal of seals in the past.

The Angling Trust has also contacted the Marine Divers Marine Live Rescue (MDMLR) organisation, who would have been willing to help, but from their experience of trying to capture seals in rivers said that it would be impossible to capture the animal safely in the fast flow of the River Severn.

On the recommendation of the MDMLR the Trust has now placed an order with Aquatec, a company in Scotland which provides seal scarers - known as scrammers - which emit a high-pitched noise that deters seals from fish farms. Although they only have a range of 50 metres, it is thought that they might be deployed on a boat and used to drive the seal downstream. Unfortunately the lead time for an order is as much as four weeks and there is no guarantee that this tactic will work.

As a last resort to protect fish stocks the Angling Trust has been forced, on behalf of its member clubs, to contact Natural England to secure a licence to shoot the seal using a qualified marksman if no other solution can be found. Although this option will clearly be highly unpopular with the crowds of people who have come down to watch the seal, it may be the only course of action available to save the fishery from being irreparably damaged by this predator which has got stuck above several locks and weirs.

Seal populations are extremely healthy around the UK coastline and numbers have grown rapidly in recent years. They are regularly killed in Scotland under licence to protect salmon and sea trout stocks in estuaries.

Angling Trust chief executive Mark Lloyd said:

"We think that the Environment Agency or Natural England should have taken action before now to protect vulnerable fish stocks in the River Severn, but as they have not, we have responded to anglers' concerns by investing our members' donations and subscriptions to find a number of potential solutions to this very difficult issue. This marine predator cannot be allowed to carry on eating its way through freshwater fish that have taken decades to grow to a size which can draw anglers from all over the country to fish for them."

He described the grim choice faced by the authorities:

"If no action is taken in the next month, long lasting damage will be done to one of the country's most treasured river fisheries which will be a major set-back to the local economy and the enjoyment of thousands of anglers. This animal belongs in the sea and its presence so far inland is not natural. Its path back to sea has been blocked by man-made weirs and it may have been tempted to stay by people feeding it titbits. We will try everything possible to remove it humanely, but more drastic action may be the only option if these methods do not work."

You know what, if i thought for one second we would all unite and not renew our licence's in March then i would do so, but considering how many could be bothered to sign the otter petition, i don't think ill bother. :roll:

I agree mate, I would happily not renew...but the apathy over the petition doesnt fill me with confidence at all....thats how the EA will always get away with doing less than minimum....because they know we cant organise ourselves...hell some cant be bothered to type from the comfort of their armchair...thats the real shame of it....and it is shame...at least those that didnt sign should be feeling completely ashamed.....cant see it myself....unreal.

Yup it's just rubbish.

People can be bothered to buy their licence and sign up to the angling trust ...but won't sign this.

Maybe we're alll wrong on this and the majority of anglers would rather see otters than have fish.

Can't wait till the otters move into the cities and sewers.

Yup it's just rubbish.

People can be bothered to buy their licence and sign up to the angling trust ...but won't sign this.

Maybe we're alll wrong on this and the majority of anglers would rather see otters than have fish.

Can't wait till the otters move into the cities and sewers.

You can rest assured anglers will be responsible for that aswell mate....the rise in otter populations will no doubt be down to us feeding them fish....stinks.

I agree mate, I would happily not renew...but the apathy over the petition doesnt fill me with confidence at all....thats how the EA will always get away with doing less than minimum....because they know we cant organise ourselves...hell some cant be bothered to type from the comfort of their armchair...thats the real shame of it....and it is shame...at least those that didnt sign should be feeling completely ashamed.....cant see it myself....unreal.

Yeah not much fun standing alone armed with a banner out side downing street, all alone, looking sad :lol:

Angling Trust acts to relocate seal to

protect Severn fish stocks

The Angling Trust is demanding urgent action to remove a seal which has taken up residence in Bewdley on the River Severn, some 75 miles from its natural home in the sea, and has been eating its way through large numbers of the local coarse fish population.

Bewdley is a very important stretch of river for fishing in the UK, and contains a number of large barbel, pike and chub, among other species. The seal has been observed eating large numbers of these fish every day for several months and it is now endangering the future of angling in the town, which is an important source of income for local shops and businesses. The mammal has also been spotted eating ducks and large pike, which are normally safe from any predators on the river.

Although the seal has been in the river since October 2012, Angling's representative body the Angling Trust was only notified of its presence shortly before Christmas. Most seals that come into rivers do not stay for long, and return to the sea in a few days. However this creature has taken a liking to the area, possibly because members of the public have apparently been feeding it.

The Angling Trust has written to the Environment Agency urging them to take action to remove the seal both to protect local fish stocks from unsustainable predation and to protect the seal itself. The creature can be lawfully shot on receipt of a licence from Natural England but anglers would rather it was returned safely to the sea where it belongs. Sadly, this request has been declined by the Environment Agency despite their statutory duty to 'maintain, develop and improve' fisheries in England and Wales and the fact that they have helped with the removal of seals in the past.

The Angling Trust has also contacted the Marine Divers Marine Live Rescue (MDMLR) organisation, who would have been willing to help, but from their experience of trying to capture seals in rivers said that it would be impossible to capture the animal safely in the fast flow of the River Severn.

On the recommendation of the MDMLR the Trust has now placed an order with Aquatec, a company in Scotland which provides seal scarers - known as scrammers - which emit a high-pitched noise that deters seals from fish farms. Although they only have a range of 50 metres, it is thought that they might be deployed on a boat and used to drive the seal downstream. Unfortunately the lead time for an order is as much as four weeks and there is no guarantee that this tactic will work.

As a last resort to protect fish stocks the Angling Trust has been forced, on behalf of its member clubs, to contact Natural England to secure a licence to shoot the seal using a qualified marksman if no other solution can be found. Although this option will clearly be highly unpopular with the crowds of people who have come down to watch the seal, it may be the only course of action available to save the fishery from being irreparably damaged by this predator which has got stuck above several locks and weirs.

Seal populations are extremely healthy around the UK coastline and numbers have grown rapidly in recent years. They are regularly killed in Scotland under licence to protect salmon and sea trout stocks in estuaries.

Angling Trust chief executive Mark Lloyd said:

"We think that the Environment Agency or Natural England should have taken action before now to protect vulnerable fish stocks in the River Severn, but as they have not, we have responded to anglers' concerns by investing our members' donations and subscriptions to find a number of potential solutions to this very difficult issue. This marine predator cannot be allowed to carry on eating its way through freshwater fish that have taken decades to grow to a size which can draw anglers from all over the country to fish for them."

He described the grim choice faced by the authorities:

"If no action is taken in the next month, long lasting damage will be done to one of the country's most treasured river fisheries which will be a major set-back to the local economy and the enjoyment of thousands of anglers. This animal belongs in the sea and its presence so far inland is not natural. Its path back to sea has been blocked by man-made weirs and it may have been tempted to stay by people feeding it titbits. We will try everything possible to remove it humanely, but more drastic action may be the only option if these methods do not work."

Dam good post mate... hadn't picked up on this news thread. will be keeping an eye out to see what happens.

When there was a seal in Tewkesbury when I lived there they only took action when the RSPCA thought the seal was looking malnourished... ie eaten all the fish :roll: they then caught it and transported it to a sanctuary .

You know what, if i thought for one second we would all unite and not renew our licence's in March then i would do so, but considering how many could be bothered to sign the otter petition, i don't think ill bother. :roll:

Totally agree. A licence boycott is the only thing that would really make the EA sit up and take notice. But it would just end up with about 30 of us in the dock with everyone else sat on the bank looking the other way.