Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
fantasticmrfox

Beginner Kits and Tackle Boxes.

After my session yesterday with a friend, who hasn't caught a carp before yesterday, and after some help and guidance from your's truly played and landed his first good size fish (around 6lb, was well chuffed for him!) He now has "the bug".

His tackle is very sparse to say the least, comprising of 1 float, a very under-filled reel, a combination avon and feeder rod and a pole, so I have been looking at tackle kits for him, so he can get everything he needs to get started and to learn the basics of carp fishing.

I've found a fair few well priced complete beginner kits, comprising of 2 rods, 2 reels, landing net, unhooking mat, scales and sling and rod pod, which for him would be ideal, yet there is VERY little with this kind of kit in the way of terminal tackle.

I've been looking around for a while, for myself as well as him, for a tackle box filled with the basic essentials for a sessions fishing. and refill kits for said boxes, so you can get everything you need in one go at a bundle price, because lets face it, no one is well off at the moment and by the time you have got an assortment of hooks, an assortment of leads, beads, swivels, hooklink materials, shot weights, disgourger's, forceps, bait needle, stops etc, you could easily have spent 60 - 70 quid!

which got me thinking does such a kit exist? if not then why hasn't any tackle companies come out with such a kit to help encourage anglers, old and new alike, to get out on the bank, I know that many people I know would love to try fishing and have come with me and borrowed my kit at times and had a fantastic time, yet are put off by the initial cost and running cost of this hobby, which is a fairly expensive hobby to pursue.

Personally I think more should be done to encourage new people into this sport, hobby, what ever you wish to call it, and for nearly everybody, money is very tight at the moment, yet a days fishing to get away from the stresses of paying the bills is exactly what most need, yet it it's self becomes a stress when you have to spend such a vast amount to get started.

So I put this to you all,

Do you know of anyone or anywhere a kit like this exists?

Do you think there is a market for such a kit, or variations of such a kit?

Would any of you more experienced anglers benefit from such a kit or do you think it's the sort of thing that would be aimed at newcomers alone?

Personally I think that most anglers would like to be able to walk into a tackle shop and get bundle packs of some description, whether it is just a selection of 5 different sizes of hook instead of individual packs, or a pack of 10 leads 5 different sizes and colours.

I know I would!

I'm sorry for such a long winded post, but I am very interested to hear what you all have to say on this and to see whether maybe it would be a good thing to set up on an Ebay shop or something.

I would love to come out of a tackle shop with only spending £60-£70, come to think of it the Mrs would love it too, im sure. :lol::oops::oops::lol:

As for kits mate, you'd be much better off saving your money and buying quality items (yes they are more expensive) little and often, rather than trying to get a complete kit at a lower price, i can assure you that th kit in these packs arnt worth the trouble..

Swivels, hooklinks, and hooks are all things that you really dont want to be getting wrong, think fish safety,

as for other things such as hair stops, if things are really tight there is a number of things that can be used that will cost next too or nothing.. eg: spaghetti, grass, small piece of match stick, abit of reed etc etc,

In my honest opinion, treat yourself to a decent tackle box, get your bear essentials and then when you have a couple of spare quid treat yourself, before long you'll have a full box (and then probably end up only useing a quarter of it anyway) :wink:

I would love to come out of a tackle shop with only spending £60-£70, come to think of it the Mrs would love it too, im sure. :lol::oops::oops::lol:

As for kits mate, you'd be much better off saving your money and buying quality items (yes they are more expensive) little and often, rather than trying to get a complete kit at a lower price, i can assure you that th kit in these packs arnt worth the trouble..

Swivels, hooklinks, and hooks are all things that you really dont want to be getting wrong, think fish safety,

as for other things such as hair stops, if things are really tight there is a number of things that can be used that will cost next too or nothing.. eg: spaghetti, grass, small piece of match stick, abit of reed etc etc,

In my honest opinion, treat yourself to a decent tackle box, get your bear essentials and then when you have a couple of spare quid treat yourself, before long you'll have a full box (and then probably end up only useing a quarter of it anyway) :wink:

You raise some valid points mate and I have to agree with a lot of what you say, I do buy little and often the things I need, because I already have enough for me to get by, I was coming from the point of my mate more than anything, granted bundle packs of things would be great, I'd love to be able to buy 200 hooks in 4 sizes for say £25.00 rather than spend £3-4 for 10 and to be able to get bunch buys on leads rather than paying £2 each etc. but when starting off things can be very expensive.

I worked it out that for my mate to get 5 wagglers, 10 leads of different sizes (5 running 5 inline), a few feeders, different hooks of varying sizes and barbed or not, enough beads and swivels to do him for a while, some mono hooklink material, forceps, bait needle & stops and a few other "essentials" from our local tackle shop would come to around £45 if not a bit more. sure in dribs and drabs that's not much, but for him to be able to fish successfully he needs to have those items, if a tackle company were to put those items together you could still get good quality at a lesser price than that and them still make a profit.

I see what you are saying about the fish safety mate, but I think it more safe for someone to have everything they need than to try and make do without something or use something else in its place. for example someone starting up may not have enough to buy some tulip beads along with other needed items, so they would probably use shot to make a bolt rig, making it a dangerous rig. if everything was in one place at an affordable price with the right guidance then that sort of thing may not happen. pretty poor example I know but its the first one that came to mind..

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought there may have been a bigger gap in the market for something like that, but then I guess if there were then Korda or someone would have jumped straight on it.

I guess my mate will have to learn the hard way that this is an expensive hobby :lol:

ang on ang on u saying he needs 10 leads this that and that and that well heres what i reckon

youve got enough end tackle to get by so he gets the rod reel etc package buddys up with you and you can lend him a couple of leads couple of rigs while he trys get few rig items together himself

be serious for a day session he needs 2 rigs 2 weights and 2 boilies he will lose when casting hes a beginner i hear you say THEN KEEP HIM AWAY FROM TREES AND ISLANDS TILL HE LEARNS TO CAST :lol:

sorry if it sounds wrong not meaning anoy anyone

It's not really a good idea to start by using inexpensive, poor quality kit.

May I offer an analogy?

When I was a much younger man I decided to learn to play guitar and bought a very cheap one. Many months later I could play some stuff but poorly. I then bought a much better guitar and was, almost overnight, a much better player.

Perfectly true. 40 years later I still have that better guitar because it was of good quality when bought.

Ian

ang on ang on u saying he needs 10 leads this that and that and that well heres what i reckon

youve got enough end tackle to get by so he gets the rod reel etc package buddys up with you and you can lend him a couple of leads couple of rigs while he trys get few rig items together himself

be serious for a day session he needs 2 rigs 2 weights and 2 boilies he will lose when casting hes a beginner i hear you say THEN KEEP HIM AWAY FROM TREES AND ISLANDS TILL HE LEARNS TO CAST :lol:

sorry if it sounds wrong not meaning anoy anyone

Not annoying anyone mate, You raise some valid points, the reason I started this thread was to get all your opinions because other will see things from a different perspective to me.

I never thought of it like that, true it would be good if he could go by himself, but then I can always use it as an excuse to go fishing "But love, I HAVE to go, he aint got all the gear he needs." That just might work :wink:

On a serious note though, lending aint such a bad idea, but money is tight for me as well, so if he is going to loose tackle (Crack off's happen to the best of us) It's going to cost me money, what I CAN do though is lend him gear he wont loose like a rod and reel, and get him to buy his end tackle, that'll save him a lot of money starting up, he can build up a tackle box as he learns the basic's and when he is ready to go by himself he can invest in a rod and reel, landing net etc.

Thank's for pointing out a different perspective over this subject :)

I still reckon beginner kits should contain more in the way of end tackle though.

Damn the enjoyment of fishing costing a fair bit of cash! :lol: :/

It's not really a good idea to start by using inexpensive, poor quality kit.

May I offer an analogy?

When I was a much younger man I decided to learn to play guitar and bought a very cheap one. Many months later I could play some stuff but poorly. I then bought a much better guitar and was, almost overnight, a much better player.

Perfectly true. 40 years later I still have that better guitar because it was of good quality when bought.

Ian

That's very true. something I have heard on here before is " Buy cheap, buy twice"

Nice analogy too, I have a cheap guitar, my next door neighbours is worth £1000 and is 30 years old, I struggle tuning mine, the switches are dying and its hard to play, his is beautiful and still all original parts and makes my scratching at the threats sound pretty :)

MUM DAD U ARE WRONG SOMEONE FOUND MY OPINION USEFULL :lol:

sounds like a good idea to lend him rod and reel get him buy bits at a time as for bivvy etc he just have kip in the doorway of yours :lol:

MUM DAD U ARE WRONG SOMEONE FOUND MY OPINION USEFULL :lol:

sounds like a good idea to lend him rod and reel get him buy bits at a time as for bivvy etc he just have kip in the doorway of yours :lol:

I don't have a bivvy, I have a small, old 2 man tent, I use my day shelter if it rains, if it don't I sleep in my bag on my chair.... partly because I am a man, but mostly because I'm a cheap sod :D He'll have to curl up in a ball to keep warm, then I'll use him as a foot stool :D

I guess my mate will have to learn the hard way that this is an expensive hobby :lol:

It doesn't always have to be. Careful and frequent scanning of used, good quality kit on eBay and/or Gumtree can be fruitful. And don't overlook your local Bargain Pages or equivalent.

There are many who are drawn to carp fishing for the perceived lifestyle and throw lots of money at it, only to find that it's not really their thing. Hence bargains can be found.

A few weeks ago a JRC STi 2-man bivvy, like mine, changed hands for £38-80 on eBay. Largely, I suspect, because it was poorly described. Keep looking!

Ian

It doesn't always have to be. Careful and frequent scanning of used, good quality kit on eBay and/or Gumtree can be fruitful. And don't overlook your local Bargain Pages or equivalent.

There are many who are drawn to carp fishing for the perceived lifestyle and throw lots of money at it, only to find that it's not really their thing. Hence bargains can be found.

A few weeks ago a JRC STi 2-man bivvy, like mine, changed hands for £38-80 on eBay. Largely, I suspect, because it was poorly described. Keep looking!

Ian

That is true, we have a few charity shops around my way and one that takes the good stuff from the local tip and sells it, seen a few rods in there before, I keep having a wander round for a 13ft avon for myself as I don't have a float rod, I'm sure I'll stumble across a bargain in there soon :)

If you tap in carp fisning bundles into e-bay various things come up most of the kits are end tackle type bits , my only worry would be the quality of it all . Worth a look .

I have been buying tackle through ebay for several years and only once have had problems !

Just be carefull from buying s/h rods, as they can get damaged through being sent through the post or courier. In that case i would try to collect the item. Also look at gumtree as well ! another company to use and they dont have pay pal ,in there case i would collect only/

Going back to the tackle bundle thing, about 2 or 3 years ago Argos did a little box full of carp end tackle from some company called Giant as you can imagine you get what you pay for but if hes a beginner its ideal, I still use bits from it now like splicing needle etc. Worth a look.

Going back to the tackle bundle thing, about 2 or 3 years ago Argos did a little box full of carp end tackle from some company called Giant as you can imagine you get what you pay for but if hes a beginner its ideal, I still use bits from it now like splicing needle etc. Worth a look.

Thank's matey! I'll have a butchers :)

Does anybody know of anywhere I can buy things like hooks, swivels, beads etc in large quantities, maybe 1000 hooks at a time? me and my friend can go halves on the cost and "stock-up". I'm having a look on ebay at the moment but not found anything as of yet.

does anyone on here do a similar thing to this with your tackle? I know many do it with baits.

Thank's matey! I'll have a butchers :)

Does anybody know of anywhere I can buy things like hooks, swivels, beads etc in large quantities, maybe 1000 hooks at a time? me and my friend can go halves on the cost and "stock-up". I'm having a look on ebay at the moment but not found anything as of yet.

does anyone on here do a similar thing to this with your tackle? I know many do it with baits.

You may like to PM Jez (jemsue5) on this subject.

Ian

As said a few times in other posts Ebay is your best bet you get some good bargains on there is you buy right. As also said don't buy cheap or you will be buying twice my mate who i fish with had some cheeper rods but i now upgraded to Greys Torsion rods and gave him my Greys X flite +'s for a good price and it has transformed his casting and the acuracy of his fishing he could not believe the diference so keep an eye out for a bargain as there is always one out there to be had :wink: