How do you know what test curve to have?

carefulcarping

Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a couple of new rods, but this is where my knowledge fails me when it comes to test curves. I am looking at getting some greys prodigy sx rods, but unsure what test curves to get. I don't fish huge lakes where i need to hit 100+ yards, the lakes i fish hold carp to mid 20's and possibly the odd 30, so i won't be needing mega strong rods. I was thinking of 2.75tc rods, but that is just a stab in the dark, at the moment i have 2.5lb test curve rods, and have had carp to 16lb on them so i don't think i need to go much stronger hense my guess at 2.75tc. If somebody could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance, Ross.

Ross, your first thought, the 2.75lb test, would be about right in my opinion. It's a good all round TC and you'll avoid the likelyhood of bumping fish off on the retrieve as is possible with stiffer rods.

I use 3lb test Prodigy's and fortunately I have the physique to enable me to compress the rods on casting should I need to fling a lead any great distance but, truth be told, a good quality 2.75lb rod would probably match me on the cast with the added advantage of a slightly "tippier" action.

Ian

If huge distances are not an issue a 2.75 lb rod is going to land any fish you might catch in this country , i have the sx's in 2.75 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to you . Remember the rod is only part of the equation when playing a fish how you have the reel set will make a huge difference . John.

I'm probably going to get slated for this but I believe 2.75lb is overkill for most of the situations you'll come across in this country. If you want to really enjoy playing fish go against the fashion and get yourself some 1.75lb through action rods.

I'm going to half agree with this, My main carp rods are 2 and three quarter pound, but I have to say It's far more fun playing fish on my soft feeder rods, even fish around 8-9lb feel like monsters, It's great, however I wouldn't want to hook into a 20 with them, I'd be afraid they'd break.

Different tools for different jobs, you wouldn't use a half in ratchet for a 8mm bolt.

when I'm aiming for the larger fish in a lake ((larger by my standards lol)around the 15lb mark,I'm still to land a 20!!) I'd rather use my 2 and a quarter pound 10ft rod. I feel the 2 and three quarter are over gunned and that, all though my feeder rod would handle it, I'd rather have that extra backbone if I need it.

It all depends on the size of fish you're after and the type of lake you're fishing mate!

P.S Happy Birthday for tomorrow Ross (Facebook told me lol) Hope you have a good'un, your twenty first aint it?

Test curves are only a guide !

I found the cheaper rods usually have a TC of 2.50 ,but because they are cheap often much thicker carbon and so heavier action too ! (not through action). most fish i catch in a weedy and underground roots lake are between 6lbs and 10lbs and one at 21lbs

I dont think there is any need to have anything heavier than 3.00 from a half decent rod. (for carp) My own are 1.75 2.25 2x 2.50 3x2.75 and one spod 4.00tc. Only thing i need is 2 x 3.25tc for cats and sturgeon.

I did buy 2x 4.00tc spod rods for cats but decided to use one only for spodding and sell the other. (they simply too heavy test curve).

Ledgers are very light at under an ounce ! so no need for complicated rigs ! use 14lbs fluro with a 25lb braid end line... basically my setup is a small bomb with the liune running through the swivel ,placeing the groundbait over the ledger and cast out ! the weight drops in and the ground bait comes off as the ledger hits the bottom ... for cats i have brought 23lbs fluro and prob use 30/40lbs braid (heavier Test curve rod).

Actually I'm going to go against the grain, and say that probably the best playing carp rods are in the 2.25lb range.

I would put 2.75/3lb TC as the absolute maximum you will need to use in this country. The higher test curve rods (as Ian (Welder) has alluded to) are more for casting than playing fish on. With the higher test curve you need to be able to utilise it for casting as well.

However in this country magazine and fashion play a big part in what we buy, so at the moment it is rather difficult to get rods in the lower test curves, and most sold are around the 3lb range I would imagine.

The lower test curve rods, tend to be a more through action rod, and very capable of stopping a big fish in their tracks, whereas a higher test curve rod is likely to be a Fast Taper/Tip actioned rod, which may be easily capable of tearing a hook out at close range.

Years ago, I landed my first 20lb carp on a 2.25lb TC rod with absolutely no problems (8lb line as well :wink: ), and even my 1.5lb TC rod has landed fish to over 20lb when used for floater fishing and stalking.

Is this any use?

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22657&highlight=overgunned

Right, yesterday was my birthday, so with the money i recieved i went into fosters this morning to purchase some rods. What i didn't realise was the Prodigy sx's are now discontinued and there is a newer model, the GT3's :oops:

After talking with the lads at fosters i managed to get a good deal on 2 GT3's and bought them in 2.75tc. The rods look great and are all ready to rock and roll on thursday for a morning session.

Thanks again for all your help in the test curves.

Ross. :)

Right, yesterday was my birthday, so with the money i recieved i went into fosters this morning to purchase some rods. What i didn't realise was the Prodigy sx's are now discontinued and there is a newer model, the GT3's :oops:

After talking with the lads at fosters i managed to get a good deal on 2 GT3's and bought them in 2.75tc. The rods look great and are all ready to rock and roll on thursday for a morning session.

Awesome mate! Can't wait to see the Video of you trying them out, glad you had a good 21st feller!

Good luck with your session on thursday, bag a big'un :D

Awesome mate! Can't wait to see the Video of you trying them out, glad you had a good 21st feller!

Cheers, i will try my best but no guarantee's.

Cheers, i will try my best but no guarantee's.

It's angling mate, there never is :D