Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jackreid1

Scopex - what actually is it?

Hi guys,

I have used scopex flavoured baits a few years back and I am aware that it is a bit of a timeless bait flavouring. But what actually is it and how does it smell? Thinking of having it in a bulk purchase just wanting to get the lowdown from peopel first.

All the best

Jack

I heard that it is a fake butter like they use on microwave popcorn. I made a batch of Scopex boilies awhile ago and thought that they smelled alot like butter cookies.

Hi guys,

I have used scopex flavoured baits a few years back and I am aware that it is a bit of a timeless bait flavouring. But what actually is it and how does it smell? Thinking of having it in a bulk purchase just wanting to get the lowdown from peopel first.

All the best

Jack

I think you will find Jez is right in burnt (or rancid) butter, the base of it is N-butyric acid.

It was originally a Rod Hutchinson flavour and I think he came up with the name by a simple method, after the smell seemed to be right for fishing and he said "that flavour has scope", as sample x he just added the x onto scope and there you have it.

Just for you, being as I do know where N-butyric Acid comes from, and I had the data sheet for it:

DESCRIPTION AND APPLICATIONS

n-Butyric acid is a saturated four-carbon carboxylic acid which is a clear liquid, with a suffocating odor and with melting point -6 C and boiling point 164 C. It occurs naturally in rancid butter, in much animal fat and in plant oil. It is soluble in water, ethanol and ether. It can be obtained by the fermentation of sugar or starch, brought about by the addition calcium carbonate or by the oxidation of butanol in the presence of potassium permanganate. There is a structural formula called isobutyric acid which can not be obtained by the fermentation but by the oxidation of isopropyl alcohol with potassium bichromate and sulfuric acid. Isobutyric acid melts at -47 C and boils at 154 C. It is slightly soluble in water but soluble in ethanol, ether and organic solvents. Butyric acid is a strong acid and reacts with bases, strong oxidants and metals. It is used to eliminate calcium in leather industry. Butyric acid family products, such as their esters, are used for the production of plastics, plasticizers, surfactants and textile auxiliaries. They are used in food additives, flavorings, varnishes, perfumes, pharmaceuticals and disinfectants. Aminobutyric acid is a four-carbon carboxylic acid, to which an amino group is attached. There are three structural isomers, alpha, beta, gamma-. Alpha-aminobutyric acid is has an amino group substituted at the alpha, or 1 position on the carbon atom next to the acid group, while gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) at the terinal carbon (the gamma, or 4 position). Natural GABA exits in L-form only and can be found in plant and animal tissues. It is formed in the metabolism of L-glutamic acid. It is the central nervous system postsynaptic inhibitory transmitter in the brain but is also found in several extraneural tissues, including kidney and pancreatic islet beta cells. Gamma- hydroxy butyric acid is an intermediate occurring in metabolism of GABA. There are several hydroxy butyric acid occur at elevated levels in some metabolic disorders. In biological systems The GABA family products are the parent compounds for a number of psychoactive drugs covering sedation/hypnosis, anxiolysis, anticonvulsant activity, muscle relaxation and anterograde amnesia. Some examples are benzodiazepines, baclofen, bicuculline, barbiturates, picrotoxin, neurosteroids and the general anesthetics

burnt butter

well i am surprised i thought it was fish based substance only to find out its either vegatable based or meat based butter .

now i am a little miffed cos i thought it was some secret ingrediant and it aint... Oh Well !

I must find out what SSR+ boilies are made of any ideas anyone.

it is not fish based or meat. think its strawberry/raspberry surprise !

By the way they work very well ! with white choc boilies which are good for big bream.too

well i am surprised i thought it was fish based substance only to find out its either vegatable based or meat based butter .

now i am a little miffed cos i thought it was some secret ingrediant and it aint... Oh Well !

I must find out what SSR+ boilies are made of any ideas anyone.

it is not fish based or meat. think its strawberry/raspberry surprise !

By the way they work very well ! with white choc boilies which are good for big bream.too

choc malt nash/hutchy /catchum  is a devo flavour i use with bit white choc oil palatant ,its one of the few flavours u cant overdo ,i no ppl using 20ml per kg and more and catching well , bream will eat anything if u rlly want avoid them try tigernut ,but theyll still have them if there hungry theyll eat anything ,simples ,greedy pig rig bout only thing they have trouble with lol

Popcorn flavouring, well the base is/was. Diacetyl  (Diacetin) is now a banned substance causing an irreversible condition known colloquially as 'popcorn lung'.

It's banned in the EC but you can get it in America.

John Bakers Toppex and Milky1 are close alternatives.