Think i have been had here folks!

Boilies dipped for a week in "VODKA" is this a joke? normally dips are fruit flavours but vodka ."no way jose" It does not smell of anything !! From what i here from a angler at my local club water he soaks his fruit flavoured boilies in vodka for at least a week and drains most of the vodka away(in his gullet) but keeps a fair amount in a little jar with the boilies to prevent them drying out..

What does the forum think on this one ! answers to david cameron pm.

The other dip he uses is black cherry ,but i gather this is quite hard to find and is expensive (compared with vodka anyway)... any ideas anyone???

vodka used to be quite commonly used back in the 80s in a mix to aid leaching of attractors from the bait....its the cheapest alternative to an ethyl alcohol bait....but not as a glug so often....although it does work......but would suggest adding it in to your basemix before cooking out....hope this helps :wink:

was it you flash that were after whiskey boilies?? seems to me to be along the same lines.

iv also heard of guys defrosting boilies in hot water and sticking them out while steaming,which is meant to speed up the sent trail in cold water.

iv also heard of guys defrosting boilies in hot water and sticking them out while steaming,which is meant to speed up the sent trail in cold water.

I don't imagine this would be a great advantage unless casting at a showing fish? I would have thought that the water would cool the boilie down within minutes...or less :?:

was it you flash that were after whiskey boilies?? seems to me to be along the same lines.

It was me after them, and im organising for 70kg to be shipped fairly soon.

But your right its the alcohol that leaks quicker in colder weather

there was a guy on talksport last year who ran a cat tour on the ebro and reckons after experimenting with vodka his catch rates went up 50 % and was also catching the bigger fish, i wanted to try it myself when we there in march but as we were allready struggling my horrible friends talked me out of it :(:lol: , next time i fish for cats im going to give it a try

mufty :)

I watched a guy use dead baits soaked in vodka for pike. The alcohol breaks down the oils and lets them disperse easier in cold water. I applied the same thinking to halibut pellets for barbel and had more activity in my swim than anywhere else on the river, on more than one occasion. Would probably work well in cold water

Vodka is a clean distillate spirit with a carbohydrate base. Slow release carbohydrates are very good sources of nutrition and energy.

I imagine that fish recognise this, the alcohol link with which we associate vodka will be much diluted during bait manufacture and water immersion.

Ian

• 4 years later...

Im sorry to be a know it all but your on the wrong track firstly in reply to you comment "it does not smell of anything" carp smell at around 3 ppm not even close to our crappy sense of smell they effectivly smell proteins, amino acids minerals etc.. Not strawberry or tuti fruity! The vodka or indeed any alcohol contains an amino acid called lycin which we all need it comes from the fermentation process hence the success of active csl which has an abundance of this readily available. Vodka is a superb addition to your hookbaits not so much your entire stock of freebies the reason it is more effective in autumn winter is the fish crave it to aid digestion so they can process more food quicker to build up to spawning so it is usefull right up until April time and then after spawning from june/july. Hope this helps i may have some spelling errors it did not spell check.

A recent thread suggested more like 1 million ppm. 

That can't be right fella. 1 million ppm is a whole, all of it, 100%: 1 million parts per million parts. Therefore to say that is to indicate that carp cannot detect anything diluted with water in any way.

I too have read that carp can detect at very, very low levels, aminos as low as 4 ppm.

It is my understanding that vodka is effective as it's essentially the result of many an active process; Fermentation is basically the process whereby active ingredients such as yeasts turn sugars into.... alcohol.

Edited by yonny