Zero bites, Zero fish. Please tell me what im doing wrong

This applies to both me and my dad, who so far this year have failed to get barely any bites, let alone fish.

In 2010 + early 2011 we were doing good, we were able to hook a number of mirror carp using pellets or red maggots. I caught a nice 14lb common on Bacon Grill. However since mid 2011 we have struggled really badly. Its gotten to the point were we arent even getting bites. Today my dad visited a pond where everyone was catching except him, 2 guys pulled out 90lbs worth between them and he got nothing. Yet we are fishing the same way we did back in 2010.

The gear we use:

12lb crystal clear line, 10lb hook length, size 10 hooks, feeder fishing with basic orange/brown ground bait.

Bait: maggots, pellets, sweetcorn, bacon grill, cheese

We are going fishing tomorrow and I would really appreciate some tips, i'll probably have 1 feeder out with a second rod for floating. We just picked up some peparrami as my dad was told its a killer carp bait, is there anything we should be doing that we may be doing wrong atm?

I too have been fishless (carp) anyway for the last few times and also have tried allsorts

if you are happy with your rigs and presentation then it may be that the prevailing conditions may be against you, weather too hot or too cold etc

I dare say someone will be able to provide an in depth answer for you as I dont do feeder fishing at the moment

may be hook size, hooklength -- longer / shorter

are you getting any line bites or smaller fish

it maybe that the swim you were in did not have the carp in

if you do decide to change anything change one item at a time that way you can identify which part of your fishing / tackle wasnt quite correct

good luck and tight lines

:D

if you are happy with your rigs and presentation then it may be that the prevailing conditions may be against you, weather too hot or too cold etc

I dare say someone will be able to provide an in depth answer for you as I dont do feeder fishing at the moment

I actually caught a 12lb common when it was cold and bucketing it down :) I dont think it was too warm/cold today. Who knows. Hopefully it will be decent weather tomorrow.

Tell us a bit more about where you're fishing.

Have you spoken to any other anglers that are fishing there?

Well today my dad was at a relatively small pond near chesterfield, he told me you could see the fish rising and lots of people were catching.

A couple of weeks ago we fished another small pond in Underwood, we only caught a few bits with maggot but a young lad was pulling out big carp, he told us he was using peperami so we've bought some which we're going to try tomorrow, although I find it hard to believe the fish are only willing to bite on 1 bait in particular.

I was thinking maybe its the cheap groundbait we use? Maybe we should try something more exotic? I used to use a mix consisting of hemp seed, sweetcorn, honey, salt, and pellets. It was hit and miss, although with the way fish have been biting for us who knows how effective it actually was.

You should swap the groundbait to pellet as i find i dont catch when i use groundbait and if i do its bream, pepperami is a good hookbait try use that or boilies if you can offord them and go for mainline ones cell or the new grange are good, i find catch more with these for pellet try the link at the bottom and just throw or if your at range catapult it out over your hookbait http://www.purepellet.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=174&zenid=71b27fcc1cb25d69657bd0f738a003fd

Yeah we use hair rigs (pre-made ones from the tackle shop). I will try using pellets instead then, cheers. That stuff looks nice, i'll definitely pick some of that up.

We havent gone today because of the weather, its given it out to be sunny tomorrow so we're going to try then, although its bank holiday so it will probably be busy.

i suggest you get it direct from that site as its much cheaper that anywhere else proberly they also do small size pellet version of it if your interested but deffo try and use boilies on the hair cell or new grange

Fishing moves on and develops, what worked a few years ago, if everyone fishes the same, the carp may start to avoid the situation, or it may be that you are stuck doing things that you did, and the fish have learnt its a "sticky" situation, and avoiding it. It may be as simple as tweaking your presentation, changing rig lengths, hair lengths, or even hooklink material. Watch what other anglers are doing, especially if they are catching, and utilise what they do in your fishing

I would be happy fishing groundbait, in fact even when fishing for carp I still do so. I can handle the bream if there are any there, they may be the precursor to carp, or simply feeding the area because carp aren't there. If you go back and watch John Wilson, Go Fishing, he fished a water that had been heavily prebaited with groundbait, in the middle of a bream session he was "bugged" by a 20lb carp.

On the same water that JW fished, I would always fish "Method Style", plenty of groundbait on some occasions, and always with a ball of groundbait moulded around the lead. I think in 19trips on this 160acre water I had 8 carp, every one except one fell to this method ball with a boilie at the end of it. Not once did I put in any pellets of any sort.

More of all fishing is location, get your location right, get your fish feeding and chances are you'll catch. It may take plenty of walking and looking, don't just set up in the first swim available, or the largest swim around simply because its big enough for 2 anglers.

That feeding may be that you need to pile more bait in, or it may be that you are putting too much in for the fish to find your hookbait in the time you have available, but most of all you need to get the location right.

Well we had a completely blank day again. I had 2 or 3 nibbles, nothing I could strike at. The worst thing is a bloke arrived 2 hours after we did and within 20 minutes he was pulling out fish after fish (only small ones but still). I honestly cant figure it out, im sure im doing everything right. I was thinking the groundbait might be the problem, tomorrow im fishing somewhere that doesnt allow groundbait so I guess i'll find out then.

You could try adding Olbas Oil to your groundbait, only a few drops mind. It smells great, and it's helped me catch a fair few carp.

L

When I next use groundbait i'll try it, cheers pal.

Yeah we use hair rigs (pre-made ones from the tackle shop). I will try using pellets instead then, cheers. That stuff looks nice, i'll definitely pick some of that up.

We havent gone today because of the weather, its given it out to be sunny tomorrow so we're going to try then, although its bank holiday so it will probably be busy.

Mabey the rigs you are using are not right for the type of fishing you are doing , to short , to long , hair lenth ?

How frequently are you recasting?

20 - 30 minutes.

Mabey the rigs you are using are not right for the type of fishing you are doing , to short , to long , hair lenth ?

The hook length is 15", hair is probably just shy of an inch long iirc.

Maybe you should cut down on your casting a bit. sometimes you can cast when the fish are just moving in over your bait scaring the fish away. Just an idea i dont recast until ive had a fish and if im not getting the bites i should i just trickle in the bait little and often, this is less likely to scare the fish :)

How bigs the lake? If its a smallish high stocked commercial fish it match style. Used to do loads of fishing on those kind of venues both in matches and just day sessions

Every one fishes kind of the same way, and if there's guys getting 90lb catches then it's obviously got a similar stock to much of the fisheries round here.

Bait up relatively short for a float rod, about three to four rod lengths out if depths allow (I prefer float fishing on these kind of lakes as the indication is a lot better and you can read what's happening in your swim a lot easier). If you get movement and dips on the float you know there's fish in the area

If you're allowed to fish two rods have a feeder line that You keep casting to, every ten minutes is usually best for the first couple of hours, plenty of pellet and free offerings in the ground bait and keep your accuracy tight so you build up a bed of feed.

Hard 8mm pellet is usually the way forward on these lakes as it stops nuisance fish. I tend to use banded pellets straight onto the hook as I always get more bites than hair rigged pellets, but that's personal preference.

On the float line feed two handfuls of 4mm pellets and some 8mm and a bit of corn so you have change baits if you find bites dry up. Feed 8mm pellets, about half a dozen, every minute or so. When activity in the swim dies down, put out another two handfulls of your 4mm mix.

Although every lake fishes differently, this will usually guarantee a few fish on the bank.

The trick on high stock waters is a lot of bait and keep working the swim. Not as relaxing as just chucking a feeder out and waiting, but the bites will come a lot quicker. You'll probably find youll bin off the feeder line and have enough on the float to entertain you. If you can only fish feeder then just keep on casting, reasonably short hook lengths with corn or banded pellet as bait. I'd scale down to 8-10lb mainline and 8lb fine gauge hook length and 14 hooks unless you keep getting snapped up

How bigs the lake? If its a smallish high stocked commercial fish it match style. Used to do loads of fishing on those kind of venues both in matches and just day sessions

Every one fishes kind of the same way, and if there's guys getting 90lb catches then it's obviously got a similar stock to much of the fisheries round here.

Bait up relatively short for a float rod, about three to four rod lengths out if depths allow (I prefer float fishing on these kind of lakes as the indication is a lot better and you can read what's happening in your swim a lot easier). If you get movement and dips on the float you know there's fish in the area

If you're allowed to fish two rods have a feeder line that You keep casting to, every ten minutes is usually best for the first couple of hours, plenty of pellet and free offerings in the ground bait and keep your accuracy tight so you build up a bed of feed.

Hard 8mm pellet is usually the way forward on these lakes as it stops nuisance fish. I tend to use banded pellets straight onto the hook as I always get more bites than hair rigged pellets, but that's personal preference.

On the float line feed two handfuls of 4mm pellets and some 8mm and a bit of corn so you have change baits if you find bites dry up. Feed 8mm pellets, about half a dozen, every minute or so. When activity in the swim dies down, put out another two handfulls of your 4mm mix.

Although every lake fishes differently, this will usually guarantee a few fish on the bank.

The trick on high stock waters is a lot of bait and keep working the swim. Not as relaxing as just chucking a feeder out and waiting, but the bites will come a lot quicker. You'll probably find youll bin off the feeder line and have enough on the float to entertain you. If you can only fish feeder then just keep on casting, reasonably short hook lengths with corn or banded pellet as bait. I'd scale down to 8-10lb mainline and 8lb fine gauge hook length and 14 hooks unless you keep getting snapped up

Wow great post, thanks for the info! Will definitely keep that for future reference.

My local fishing spot is a reservoir so is quite a large body of water:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Preserved_steam_locomotive_7F_2-8-0_53809_on_the_Midland_Railway_Butterley.jpg

I fish another place that isnt too wide but is quite long, im not sure how wide but you can probably get a rough idea from this panoramic pic I took a while back:

558132_10150800775455815_1112137457_n.jpg

And finally I sometimes fish a very small pond, never had any carp out of it yet but they are definitely some big ones in there.

When I fish the reservoir I stick to ledgers, anywhere else I will have 1 ledger set up on either sweetcorn, pellet or cheese, and will float with a second rod, swapping between all sorts of different baits. The winning combination for ledger used to be 2x 8mm pellets on the hair with 3/4 red maggots on the hook just in case. Havent had much luck with this method for a while though, which is why ive started experimenting with cheese, bacon grill, etc. I'll definitely take your advice on-board the next time im out anyway :)

Funny thing happened today actually, we were fishing the reservoir, I was using cheese, when I went to bring my rod in for a recast I felt a slight tension on the line, as I carried on winding it felt like there was a fish hooked. When I got it to the bank it was a Pike! Only a small one, but still it was such an awesome random experience. Im surprised it didnt bite thought my line (I was using 10lb mono for the bottom). It must have been a vegetarian :P

Well that essay works best on smaller venues with quite a high stock, so using it on a ressie might be a bit hard :P Maybe I should have asked that first, it was the small pond comment in your first post, it threw me.

What's the stock like in the reservoir, although to be fair, in that space, it really is all about getting in the area the fish are and feed em. Remember ground bait and small pellets aren't that filling, you'll be suprised how much you can put in, and everything in there eats them, so it could just be you aren't feeding them enough.

Spod a granny into it

Hang on, don't think that's quite right

:oops: