Where did you catch you're first Carp from?

Guest keenook

First for me was in August '07, I'd recently returned from a summer in Maine, USA, and had finaly had a go at fishing. Out there it was bass fishing, and as soon as I returned I purchased myself a cheap little float setup and started fishing a farmers pond of around an acre in size for anything in there (roach and perch). On maybe my 5th time out, I saw a carp on the surface fairly close in, so improvised with a size 18 hook, hooked though a little bit of jaffa cake and managed to hook it after about half an hour of trying and failing to put it infront of its nose! I was ecstatic! It was around 5lb I think (no scales), and I even posted the picture on here.

Just five Years on and I think I've done alright....thanks to everyone on here, especially Nige, Jamie and Brian (666carpcatcher). Still get the buzz!

I'd not forgotten that you were a "newer" (for wont of a better word) angler, but boy your advice, opinions and feedback on the forum put you as a very knowledgeable angler. You gained so much knowledge in such a short space of time, and put it into practice to give you many years worth of experience.

In case anyone doesn't know, I tried doing my best to get Lewis to really think about what he was doing, almost trying to put him off, when it came to spending a lot of money on fishing tackle as I really didn't want him to jump in, catch a few fish and then disappear off the face of the fishing world. I'm glad that he made his point and "ignored" some of what as I said

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I still can't remember even though I've really tried. I can remember the last one I caught.....just. I'm even older now.   Strangely, I can remember my first twenty. It came from swim 15 at Merringt

Pool Hall Trescott, when i were a lad about 9yo my mate dragged me off down the cut for a day of gudgeon bashing with a rod that my dad had found when he cleared out a shed for a mate. i had

From what is now called Wharf Pool in Stanford-le-Hope, Essex I was about 14/15 years old.   It was during the summer hols and me and my best mate had just done an all nighter under our brollies, w

My first carp was from little irchester, way back it was stocked with thousands of 8oz carp and we used to fish waggler with maggot up in the water and have bags of carp sometimes 80-100 in a day. This was about 1992-93 I would guess.

One day while float fishing the now prison lake the wind was epic so I decided to fish the swim feeder on the tip and managed a monster at 18lb which took ages to land and also broke my old silstar ledgering reel.

That was it, a specimen angler was born.

My First carp was definitely off the Trent. A place called Cromwell weir. Me and my dad fished it for 3 seasons in the early 80's, week in and week out. I'd seen it in the Anglers mail and never forget the article was titled "Barbel filled Cromwell weir". The first few times we went we fished well below the lock on the Cromwell side. After a few lacklustre visits we noticed on the other side of the weir and fishing directly off the wall were some chaps having a good few fish. After an hour driving around and plodding over fields, we finally got to the other side. It was industrial fishing- Casting huge feeders 80 yards (which was a big chuck back then) from the top of a 25 foot weir into the standing water that held in the middle.

After chatting with some of the old chaps fishing the weir, we decided that we would give it a go and the first season, maybe 2 we battered the bream. Week in and week out we would put 100-130 lbs into a keepnet between us. Then on the summer of our third season at a greater range than we could reach with our tackle...we saw fish (big fish) trying to beach themselves on a gravel hump. It was a boiling hot summers day. The river was low and we just watched agog as these lumps kept chasing each other over the hump. We couldn’t get a grip on what was happening. However, it lit a fire and we resolved that we would have to catch one of these mystery lumps. We couldn’t catch them with the kit we had and the local match shops just looked at us and shook their heads when we tried to explain the kit we needed. But over a period of a season built up the right kit to fish it- Bigger reels (I found one out the other day- my god they were rubbish) and carp rods with 3oz tips spliced into them. Feeders were made from syringes that dad brought home from the pit, roof lead flashing cut into strips and a loop of 30lb sea fishing mono hooked under the lead strip. These were filled with ground bait made from white crumb, with casters and hemp. The whole thing must have weighed in at 6oz and some-how we developed a casting style on 8lb maxima to get the whole lot the required 80 yards.

Nothing happened for weeks, but around a month in with our new kit...I had a very strange pull round on my tip. Not like the jerky twitches of the Bream that I was used to, just a steady pull round that pulled my rod of its rest. I put it back on its rest and put it down to a surge in water or a branch. But the tip just pulled again and kept going. The fish set off down river like nothing I had ever experienced. I held the tip high and walked over the top of three or four anglers- ending up on a beach 40 yards down stream. After 20 minutes the unseen monster swam past the near margin and my mouth dropped at the bulk of the fish and the colours of its flank as it flicked its tail. The fish eventually came to rest at the bottom of a very insufficient pan net. My legs went to jelly as I stared in disbelief at the behemoth that rested there. In all its glory- my first carp- maybe 6lbs in weight.

We continued to fish the weir till the winter and managed fish up to20lbs. My Mum and Dad split up that year and that was the end of my fishing for a long time. I’ll never forget that day though. The fish below aren’t of that first day- but it sums up (for me) my early carping days. 25 years on- and I still get that shaky leg feeling as I see carp in the water. May it long continue.

meanddeanwithcarp1980.jpg

Guest keenook
Quality story mate, enjoyed that.

Wonder which one is you in the photo? :wink:

The one on the left............................................................................he still holds em the same today! :P

I can't remember my first carp :cry: I can remember plotting with my mate, even rolling boilies, I can remember the trips but I can't remember any of the carp caught. I can remember my first fish, it was a Roach, I was untangling a birds nest and my float and maggot was in the margins, when I finished untangling and reeled in I had a fish on. :lol:

*edit but my first carp would have been caught from Mill farm fisheries probably 91/92

From what is now called Wharf Pool in Stanford-le-Hope, Essex I was about 14/15 years old.

It was during the summer hols and me and my best mate had just done an all nighter under our brollies, we'd caught about 14 tench between us but no carp. Shortly after first light we saw this fish jumping about, 30 yards out and so tossed a hopeful cube of luncheon meat towards it.

10 mins later I had what was called, back in the day, a 'reel churner' and 5 mins after that, had landed my first ever carp. Just shy of a double at 9 1.2lbs

I can remember it like it was yesterday....fibre glass rods......washing up liquid bottle tops for bobbins........jumpers for goalposts.....happy days....<>

Mas Bas (Near Agen) France 2010. I was a late starter when my m8s convinced me to join them on a French fishing holiday. Caught dozen of fish that trip but i recall my very first being a 25lb Mirror. The trip ended with me landing the fishing of the trip , a monster 40lb Mirror carp which ive only bested by 1lb on my return trip in 2011. Im now fishing mad and spend a great deal of my free time fishing or scheming a fishing trip :)

A Life long passion developing

Keenes pit in Bishop's Stortford about July 1963. A little common of about 7 or 8lb. Seemed like a monster on light tackle and an old tank aerial rod! (Anyone else remember them?)

My first rod was made from a tank aerial, I remember it well. My mate's dad gave it to me, he'd recently bought a new-fangled fibreglass three piece, proper, rod.

For the life of me, I can't remember where I caught my first carp though! I've tried and tried to remember....can't :shock:

It's my age, you know. And John's apparently, since he also had a tank aerial rod.......................

Ian

Mine was a 9lb common from Baffin's Pond in Portsmouth in 1960.

Cahnged from general coarse angler to carp angler in 1967 and still get the same buzz from each session.

Moorsey.......baffins pond eh, bet you fished soakes pond a fair bit as well, if so i might have been an annoying kid that pestered you for information :shock:

still remember my first carp, about 2lb wild carp from HMS dryad mill pool, a spot of "guesting", would have been about 1977

Mine came from 'the farmers pond'near where I grew up, quite often you would hear a 'get orf my land' and get chased off but it was all part of the fun at 11 years old. We fished for what ever we could catch at the time and had discovered pike on our local river, we often cycled to the pond with our rods tied to our crossbars and our tackle in our paperboys bags slung over our shoulder, the intention was to catch the hoards of stunted roach and rudd that lived in the pond to use as baits for our Pike fishing trips, another cycle ride of 8 miles or so. The roach and Rudd devoured the bread that we used as soon as it hit the water and it was a fish a chuck. On the Summers evening of my 1st carp a mate and I threw a few bits of bread in and whilst they were initially pecked to pieces after a while the whole piece disappeared in a swirl, so out went another piece and the same happened again, neither of us had caught or even seen a carp before, but I had a rummage around in the tackle bag and found my biggest hook it was a 12, I took off the float and weights and under armed out a piece of crust, my heart beat faster as I watched the dark shape approach nudge with its nose and then take the bread, an epic battle ensued on my general coarse fishing rod, the fish was netted and returned it was a common, shortly after I had another, this time a mirror. We didn't carry scales or cameras in those days, so all i have are memories. I guess they were 5 or 6 pounds I did re-visit the farmers pond when working in the area a couple of years ago, I was saddened to see that it had dried up and just become a mass of reeds.

my first by design was from aston lock on the river nene 99/00 :? 16lb common after 20mins of my carping career.

though i did have a some sort of carp while trolling the river for pike a few years previous. i flicked the spinner down the side of an overhanging bush and let the line lay on the surface and it pulled it in a curve out and around the bush, then what i thought was a chub broke the surface and the line tighten.

i see the dorsal and thought chub, but when i got in the boat it had big brown/gold scales, the dorsal and head were chub but it had barbels on its mouth :shock: ....if it wasnt for them then id say it was a grassie. didnt have a camera back so couldnt show the pic to more experienced anglers , so i never found out what it really was. and never counted it as any thing other then a fish.

• 1 year later...

Loved reading through this thread and since there are quite a few newish fellas posting on the forum i thought i'd bump it to the top again ....

Cant really remember where my first carp came from but does a goldfish count ?

I remember catching one from a farmers pond on a caravan site in the lake district many years ago .

My first fish though , was a little roach out of berwick ponds in 1973 .

Its a syndicate water now so i dont suppose i'll ever get to fish there again

Can't remember exactly, but must have been on Haverholm park lake in around 1996 ish. I have to say i don't remembers being instantly hooked on carp, I was more than happy following my dad round tiny rivers and the 40ft drain, catching little perch and roach. It was only when I got a big older, probably around 2002, I got snapped off several times on Haverholm (oh boy what a lake that was!) that I took the natural progression to step up my gear curtacy of Badger tackle. However, It was around 3 years before I hung up the rest of my gear and went out and out carp hunter.

Without trying to sound superior, which I really am not, I very much feel to be one of the last of a generation that 'served a silver apprenticeship'

I'm starting to get a bit fed up of the carp scene, and might go back to my roots soon. I'm sure it would improve me as a carp angler in the long run. Watercraft means nothing anymore as swim choice gets less and less.

Have to agree with you mate , on a few things you stated there .

The "apprenticeship" thing which has been done to death on here but still doesnt change the fact that its very true , and , your last point about the swims . Lucky to find a swim available on my local lake and i'm a midweek angler !

Im seriously looking at learning to drive so that i can spread my wings .

And i'm 52 and miles to old to be even considering it under normal circumstances.....