Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Guest keenook

Where did you catch you're first Carp from?

I used to fish with my brother who's a year older than me we used to get the bus every Saturday 2 and a half  hours on the bus to a big reservoir and brought 2 kilo a gound bait between us each time, still remember the hike we did after getting off the bus bout 40 minutes through a thick forest we needed machetes  nearly bud as big bros do he let me lead the way we used to catch loads of roach rudd perch the odd trout we loved it and we knew nobody would ever fish that spot we hiked to... the effort alone would probably kill me now at 34 

when I was 17 me and the Bro decided we would try carp fishing out on a day ticket lake near dublin to try catch some carp we didn't have a clue bout carp fishing all we knew was method feeder running rigs and hadnt a clue what to do to catch carp

So we went the tackle shop the guy in the tackle shop must have spent an hour showing me a knot less knot still hadn't a clue , so we went fishing the following saturday pulled up could see loads of big fish on the top they looked like whales compared to the roach we where used to catching fished method feeders and I had some fake floating dog biscuits the guy in the shop covinced me thats what carp eat so I threaded a piece onto some line and tied it to my hook size 12 still couldn't do a knot less knot ha ,and cast my method feeder rig out and after an hour my match rod nearly bent in half with a take fought him for what felt like an hour(really bout 15 min ) and  nearly breaking my rod with the creeks it made and it finally hit the net I reached in to have a look it was massive 7lb 2 , it was trailing  a 4 Oz lead and had what looked like a sea hook in its mouth is what it looked like to me at the time ,my scabby size 12 and method feeder was tangled in the line the fish was trailing i removed the hook and let him away was chuffed and since that day I've been mostly a carp fisherman the last 10 years I've jus fished behind alarms and absolutely love the buzz of being outdoors and catching a fish is the bonus 

The kennels lake, stalked on float fished luncheon meat in a reedbed. Still have the rod I caught it on. Little 6ft Argos bright green one. All 7lb of it looked so huge at the time when I was in my young teens. 

I also remember losing one from there at the net. Must have been a high double, massive for me at the time. On double hair rigged 20mm hali pellets. I was devastated. 

My first fish was a tiny roach from the Ise, a tributary of the Nene, maybe 1988?

My first carp came from a little lake in Leics in the mid 90s. My mate took me there and I was catching bits on float fished maggot. He told me to stop messing around with bits and gave me some corn. I wandered up the bank and popped the float next to some reeds in a shady spot under a tree, a handful of corn on top. Five minutes later all hell broke loose and I somehow managed to land a 7 lb mirror.

I was instantly hooked, within a month or two I was fishing for carp properly with 3 bodged up cheapo rods/reels with kilos of maize and hemp.

Pool Hall Trescott,

when i were a lad about 9yo my mate dragged me off down the cut for a day of gudgeon bashing with a rod that my dad had found when he cleared out a shed for a mate.

i had no reel, just an old rod and a bit of scrap line that i had found on the tow path one day with a small hook on (prob discarded by a conscientious  angler) that was tied to the tip eye, i was a bit of a tart in those days :D

we had wandered over to the lake at pool hall by dinner time and as we swapped stories of escaped sharks with a bloke who was fishing (wow you should have seen the gear he had, he had a reel and everything) i saw what i thought was a hole appear in the water by some lilies, "oh thats a carp" sez the dude with all the tackle "here giz yer rod" and he promptly set me up with an old reel with heavy line and a bigger hook.

he showed me how to pinch on some bread and flick it out, i hooked into a whale of a fish that first cast (prob about 5lb at best) and that damned reel locked up and refused to work so i spent the next lifetime hand drawing it in :lol:

that carp was not the only thing hooked that day, i pestered and pestered my dad until he brought me a small tackle box with some terminal bits in for my birthday (that was the only present that i can ever remember my dad buying me and it made up for a lifetime of birthdays).

that old mitchel was stripped and overhauled/repaired, i actually made a new gear for it from a punched blank with a key file, and so an angler was born :wink:

10 hours ago, Big Common said:

I caught my first carp in 1982 at Highlands Park in Chelmsford, at the time it was on the Marconi ticket.

Pale green 8ft glass fibre rod, cube of luncheon meat in the edge. It was about 3lb. But I witnessed much bigger fish in the lake probably up to a massive 12 to 15lb.

I saw for the first time someone using cat crunchies and dog biscuits to tempt them off the top. I remember setting up with a mate at midday on 15th June, as the sun went down a guy was firing in these biscuits and they were "pac-manning" them. Needless to say he cast a bubble float out at around 10pm...... The lake was rammed, and at 1 minute past ten about 20 more lines went in, who cares we'd waited 3 months.

We caught a lot of this sized fish 3 to 4 lb. My first proper one was a 14lber in 1990, ironically from the lake I'm fishing now. How things change, I'm not sure a 14lber would be classed as a proper one these days. I still enjoy fishing for them now.

a 14lber will always be a proper one in my books, under 20s fight much better than over 20s as they have more stamina.

much like chasing a fat bloke round the car park