Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
garysj01

Carp Stories

To follow on from Keenooks story i thought id have a go.

Well it was 2003 and i was working for a little engineering firm in Folkestone, at the time most of my time was spent on the banks of Chilham Mill catching good fish on a regular basis.

Friends had urged me to try the fishing on the Royal Military Canal in Hythe.

I kept hearing stories of a mythical 30lb+ carp that had been caught the year before and to say it intrigued me was an understatement.

A few months past and i was asked by my gaffer to go and repair the weedbarge for the council at the shed in Hythe.

Now the weedbarge is used every so often to keep the weed and foliage under control in the summer months as there was a boat hire shed just half a mile upstream.

People could hire these rowing boats and as you can imagine the canal got very busy at this time of year.

The barge shed was right on the banks of the canal, they used to launch the weedbarge down their little concrete ramp into the canal.

As i was repairing the front spikes on the barge i heard the council employee talking about a big carp had been sighted just yards away from their shed.

My ears pricked up and i asked what he saw, he replied "it was big, very big". This as you can imagine sent my heart racing as the fish was present locally. I promptly told them i was a carp fisher and they gave me permission to fish outside the weedbarge shed as they were interested in seeing the fish and putting to rest the rumours that had been flying around.

So i set about looking at the swim, id phoned up the office and said the barge was going to take a couple of hours longer than expected :lol: and had a good look at the swim.

To my right was a bridge that went over the canal, i cant remember the name of the road, but right down to the right of the bridge was a little inlet of fresh water flowing into the canal, well that was it for me, that was the spot sorted.

I spent 3 weeks baiting that spot, i would turn up every fourth day and just dump in 5 kilos of hempseed and a handful of chopped boilies.

I had planned in my head i was going to fish on a Saturday while the shed was closed, so i baited again on the Thursday morning and was now ready to fish it.

Friday night i finshed work and i was getting bored and i couldn't wait for saturday so i took down a couple of rods and basic gear just until it got dark, night fishing wasn't allowed unless you were a member so i had to be off in a couple of hours, well i would probably stretch it out a bit if im honest.

6 oclock and i was set up, two rods out, one to the baited spot and one just straight out in front.

I like having one heavily baited spot and one lightly baited spot, just to see which one works better.

2 hours went by with nothing, and time was running out, then the right hand rod hooped over and i lost the fish like a numpty, now convinced i wasnt going to have another fish off that spot i started to concentrate on the rod straight out in front. But i did put the other rod on the baited area.

Now it was 9.30pm and i thought that was it until i had a funny liner which then developed into a blistering take. This fish was special, i just knew it, i could just tell by the way it was holding deep, it felt heavy, it was just getting dark now and i thought i was just into a mid to high twenty. I saw the fish for a brief second and it did look like a twenty, as it came closer to the net, my eyes bulged out as i realized what it was and my knees started to tremble, oh my god, please dont come off, please dont come off i was saying in my head please please please go in.

She did and as she did i let go the biggest shout in my life, here she is at 33lb 2oz's

33lb2ozMirrorRoyalMilitaryCanal-0011.jpg

A very proud moment and new record at the time for the Royal Military Canal :)

Guest keenook

I know the RMC well, and know of big Carp from there too, tip fish and a great tale! We should get together and do a book"

I know the RMC well, and know of big Carp from there too, tip fish and a great tale! We should get together and do a book"

That would be good :)

I can see now the sudden interest in your new local canal reliving the story has got you intrigued of what might be in their, 8)

Fella that stretch just ooz's carp i will need a closer look but i think its worth a go. Canal carp are often forgotton about and their are some whackers out there somewhere :)

know exactly where there is a fish thatll do fourty...a big plated,almost black mirror.......in a marina in cheshire....impossible to get at it...even by guesting...due to guard dogs....and I couldnt outrun a basset hound let alone a rotty

Guest keenook
I can see now the sudden interest in your new local canal reliving the story has got you intrigued of what might be in their, 8)

Fella that stretch just ooz's carp i will need a closer look but i think its worth a go. Canal carp are often forgotton about and their are some whackers out there somewhere :)

Levi-Frank might have some tales to add??? OMG I love this thing known as Carp angling!!!

know exactly where there is a fish thatll do fourty...a big plated,almost black mirror.......in a marina in cheshire....impossible to get at it...even by guesting...due to guard dogs....and I couldnt outrun a basset hound let alone a rotty
Talking of running how's the ankle's doing Del?

Guest keenook

Talking of running how's the ankle's doing Del?
Top post!

driving me mad mate....spent all day picking through stuff for portugal this winter....about ready to smash the damn things off already...look like Im wearing moonboots!! :lol:

Guest keenook

Gary we are soon to be neibours, so a meet up is a must do.......Hadock and chips, a beer, sunshine and Carpy chat all day long!

Gary we are soon to be neibours, so a meet up is a must do.......Hadock and chips, a beer, sunshine and Carpy chat all day long!

Sorry fella but i live in the midlands now, i do go down every so often to see family but im back in the midlands

Any one else want to get a story down, lots would be interested to have a good read, personally i think i should lay the gauntlet down to Del :) im only concerned for you being bored mate sitting there with your ankles swollen, :lol:

Right, where to begin.....I suppose I best start by telling you this is not the real name of the water, but as I have mates still fishing there...its only fair.

Back in 87 this water came to me via a tip off to my old chap, the word was they were opening the books up and allowing anglers on...only by permission...only after being vetted and only via pre arrangement.....Its a fairly long lake..almost a mile (no Nige/Jez its not Hawk :wink: )...fairly wide in places approx 200yrds...but in general no more than around 90yrds....lots of pads...lots of snags...and lots of overhang(no Nige/Jez its not Bolesworth :wink: )....now known to have a few to 35plus in there...but at the time that was a fish of a lifetime....our normal stamp of fish up here for that period being upper doubles(respectable)...to high twenties...golden spuds!!

My fifth session on here was a disaster waiting to happen...car trouble.....damn it...foot down..make up time.....police trouble.....damn it..slow down...was due to meet my mates at a local truck stop for the mandatory big feed up before the session...so making it possible to survive on monster munch and cherry bakewells and a few tins of tooheys, save the obligatory bacon grill butty and mug of tea on the last morning :lol: ....was an hour late meeting them...quick scoff and off we went...upon pulling up it was clear we were in for a long walk...as per usual (and is more common thesedays) many anglers like an easy drop in from the car.....this session is the reason you will most often find me furthest away.....

We wandered two thirds of the length...PJ spotting a peg he fancied at about halfway...then Jon dropped in not long after....long free of any other anglers I kept going...nothing was jumping out and shouting at me....stop...watch....move on....stop...watch...move on...until about 100mtrs from the end I dropped in on a spot where I had been getting a few signs of fish...then after half anhour of watching further ..they started to head and shoulder a bit more often

Rods set, ..baits are richworth freezerbaits two tone neutral...defrosted with 5ml of vodka and 5ml of squiddly diddly in with them to absorb it properly......running rigs on both rods...sliding hairs...long length of rig tube backing up the mainline...alarms are the naff old efgeeco oppies....given a massive kick from Kev Bains in the internals...so they actually work and you can also hear them!!...Kev was also the man who supplied the pod...the KJB..gardner monkeys with a ptfe coating on the needles...

Baits cast......left hand to an overhanging willow with a sharp cut back into the bank....2oz zipp lead....bosh...on the money...set the monkey...happy with that..number two...a quick flick into a channel in some weed just before the main bed starts...drop the line....set the monkey....set the monkey...set the monkey....IM IN....the rod hooped round tight and I had to really hang on for dear life or its going all the way into that bed...drop the tip and crank back on it.....luck held and it turned back into clearer water...chug chug chug....over the net....and thank god for that.....on the scales...not a big fish by todays standards but at 19.02 mirror with only one actual eye socket (now know this fish as nelson)...Im made up and my session is a result.......Pj wandered up that evening for a natter and ate all my bakewells....and just as he was moching away I got a take on the left hand rod.....my first instinct was tench...because it was knock knock knock all the way...until it hit the margin and saw the net.....then I became aware that it was in fact clearly a jet ski by the way I couldnt hold it....and it did me in the big snag out to the left....miffed and bakwell less to cheer me up....rebait...and kip......

The following morning..it was really muggy but was screaming fish....after being eaten alive in the night by mozzies and looking like a sockfull of conkers, I decided to try dads trick...wet tobacco rubbed all over....(yes it works...a treat)....jon and pj wandered up...my turn to make brews and bacon grill.....Pj hadnt bothered casting out when he got back(never understand that)...jon had had four fish in the night..to 16 from memory...who was later known as lady penelope.....whilst we were having a smoke etc my willows rod ripped off again...this time I was on it and this time I didnt give way...bullying when I dared to...and in turn getting bullied back ..everytime it hit the margin....up down up down....jon did the net honours...I looked bigger than anythig Id ever had....shaky legs syndrome(I still get it and I still love it)......a Mirror...big broad and dark..massive plates..still my favourite capture to date..and it went 24 on the button.....it stuck....we named it Bully........oh...I burned the bacon grill.......another session beckoned :wink:

Great story fella, i can see these becoming very popular with the other readers and hopefully will inspire others to have a go :) Ill let you name the next person :lol: