Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
garysj01

Carp Stories

Well ok then then Del I will try .

Title ; My first encounter with big carp.

My family split up when I was in my early teens and I found refuge from the carnage at a little carp lake just up the road ware my mum moved too.

It only got fished by the odd person in the village and I often had the lake to myself . My normal tactic was float fishing just over depth with meat and corn or on the top with dog biscuit or crust . I Always had good days there catching carp but they were mostly under 5 pounds. The shape of the lake was pear and at the wider end there was an island with a channel of water about two rod lengths wide at the most running round the back and sides then back into the lake . My favourite spot was the left hand side of the island where this channel came round , there was willows either side of me and I could hide away so not to spook anything and I also could get away without paying some days .

Well one day I was surface fishing and the wind was blowing every up against the corner of the island in front of me , there was thick weed all around the island and bread was getting washed up on top of the weed which was like a 3 ft skirt of weed out from the island. I couldn't get them going on the top so went back to float fishing just over depth , Then I heard the unmistakable sound of a Big carp sucking and slurping right in front of me. I couldn't see anything at first , but I sat there watching and listening heart pounding hoping it would give it self away again. It did ...the weed was lifting and through the weed ...the biggest pair of lips I had seen. I knew it was bigger than anything I had ever caught before. so I started baiting on top of the weed with bread and over the course of an hour got it feeding confidently . So I swung my free lined bread on to the weed my heart was pounding even harder by this time It didn't take long for the carp to sniff it out ,up it came vertically again trying its hardest to get my bait. "come on ...come on ...take it ...take it " I was saying to myself. It did -and my match rod instantly doubled over and the weed bed erupted into life and I was battling with a big fish. I got it out into open water where it just cruised around on the bottom. I couldn't lift it from the depths with the tackle I was using 6lb maxima and a silstar match rod . I fought this fish for what felt like an hour but was probably less my arm was hurting and i was starting to think will I ever see this fish , Slowly but surely it started to tier and it came up for air and just when I thought my heart couldn't beat any harder or loader it did . I eventually won, after another couple of bursts for freedom and got the net under it . She was a mirror and bottomed out the scales I had at the time which went to 16lb instantly, but looking back now she was well over 20 lb . In fact my hearts beating now reliving it all. :D

Nice mate, very nice...especially a stalked fish...nothing better...and that feeling of your first proper large powerful carp is one that never leaves eh...a real eye opener :wink: ...spot on fella....by the look of things its up to you to nominate the next author :wink:

Nice mate, very nice...especially a stalked fish...nothing better...and that feeling of your first proper large powerful carp is one that never leaves eh...a real eye opener :wink: ...spot on fella....by the look of things its up to you to nominate the next author :wink:
Thanks Del :D Well judging from the photo in his avatar I should think Cobleyn (Niel) has got some story's to tell. 8)

Well done Phil great tale, we'll have to have a meet soon fella, your turn to pick the next :)
Thanks Guys means allot that you liked it , And Gary we will defiantly have to meet up sooner rather than later my friend . Like I said earlier judging from his Avatar Cob (Niel) looks like he's got a story or two to tell 8)

Well done Phil great tale, we'll have to have a meet soon fella, your turn to pick the next :)
Thanks Guys means allot that you liked it , And Gary we will defiantly have to meet up sooner rather than later my friend . Like I said earlier judging from his Avatar Cob (Niel) looks like he's got a story or two to tell 8)

Is that the gauntlet laid then :)

Is that the gauntlet laid then :)

Yep :wink:

Ill take the gauntlet up tomorrow when I have a poper keyboard if that's ok?

I put a bit of a story together today on the "where's you first carp from" thread. Hope you enjoy that one...I'll have a think tonight about another fishy tale. :D

I put a bit of a story together today on the "where's you first carp from" thread. Hope you enjoy that one...I'll have a think tonight about another fishy tale. :D

Nice one cob looking forward to it, :)

I think me and cob had a few discussions when I was on my old account name of "goblin"....about pacu in the amazon etc...semm to remember it was a major goal for both of us at some point in life???

Pacu (and Tambaqui) are both phenomenal fighters. Incredible turn of speed- pound for pound probably the hardest fighting fish I've encountered.

Yes del, we did discuss in in your goblin days. The amazon is still on my to do's... I need to get my head straight though. It's proper frontier fishing going into French Guyana etc. fly in, small plane out, a day banging around in a jeep...sleeping in a hammock surrounded by snakes, spiders and jaguars.

But piraiba, arapiama, redtails, pacu to epic sizes. I've got to go and do it.

Pacu...hmmm that's given me an idea for my story tomorrow :wink:

Hell that post has given me an idea for my birthday present ...to me!! :lol: ....real ...off the compass fishing....thats the stuff...never going to find that in europe or even close....the stuff of dreams.....ONE DAY

Pacu (and Tambaqui) are both phenomenal fighters. Incredible turn of speed- pound for pound probably the hardest fighting fish I've encountered.

Yes del, we did discuss in in your goblin days. The amazon is still on my to do's... I need to get my head straight though. It's proper frontier fishing going into French Guyana etc. fly in, small plane out, a day banging around in a jeep...sleeping in a hammock surrounded by snakes, spiders and jaguars.

But piraiba, arapiama, redtails, pacu to epic sizes. I've got to go and do it.

Pacu...hmmm that's given me an idea for my story tomorrow :wink:

Did a couple of countries with the army where that was pretty much the norm and to be honest....never felt more alive :wink:

8)8) look forward to it Cob :D

Apologies this story is a little off the ‘carping’ theme. Discussing Pacu reminded me of a special night that I will struggle to forget.

Most of you will know that I’ve fished Gillhams in Thailand most years since it opened. The majority of my trips are spent chasing the Mekong Catfish and Siamese carp. However, there’s another side to Gillhams and that is the high number of ‘smaller’ (ie less than 100lbs) species that Stuart has in there that can turn up on a baited spot... or can be caught by design if you target them.

There’s an area on the lake that is loosely referred to as the reserve. The bottom half of it is a no fishing zone and is the area of the lake that fish will go and sulk in once they have been caught. It’s not a big area, maybe 1.5 acres and 60 yards wide at its widest point. I tend to go and fish the “fishable” area after 4 or 5 days of carp fishing to give my chosen swim a rest and let the fish gain some confidence back. There’s probably a wider variety of fish down there and Redtails and Arapiama spend their days cruising the far margin. A cast that clips the floating hyacinths on the other side using results in a fish- 2 feet or further away and you may as well not bother.

It has to be said that when it’s busy it can be a bit frustrating. It’s a long way to go to be pegged up next to some noddy who just wants to get bladdered and cast into your swim. Fortunately this doesn’t happen often and occasionally it is possible to get the lake to yourself for a day or two as guests come in and leave.

I was lucky enough one night in the reserve to have the lake to myself. There is a lit walkway around the lake with a lantern at the bottom of the stairs of each bungalow. As I was the only angler there, I surreptitiously turned off every lantern I could see. It was literally paradise. Near pitch darkness, just enough light to see to the other side of the reserve. Perfect silence, except for crickets and distant howler monkeys. Occasionally an Arapiama would become airborne in the margins sending water 6 or 7 feet in the air and crashing back in like a 15 stone man jumping off the top board. Firefly’s danced in front of my eyes and trailed across the water- maybe 10 or 15 at a time. Sat in shorts and a t-shirt, 80 degrees with a beer in my hand. Just perfect.

..... BEEEEEEEEeeeeeeppppppppp!!!!! The rod ripped the rod pod over and onto the deck the spool emptying very quickly. I grabbed the butt of the rod before it disappeared. No need to strike- just lifted into it, flicked the baitrunner off and the rod hooped over double as the fish powered off. Jeez- got to be an Arapiama...The fish was now a hundred yards away from being where it started in my near margin and not looking like stopping as it kited to the other side of the reserve. It turned and powered back up the lake. As I turned the fish I could feel it was probably too light a fish to be an arapaima; more like a Siamese carp. It dived under the water hyacinth and grated my line across it floating tendrils. I jammed by tip right under the water to keep a tight clear line to it. “Hmmm can’t be a Siamese- they fight in open water: Must be a redtail”. After maybe ten minutes the fish began to give up the fight. Sean (Gillham) had been on his way to the restaurant to get his Dinner and had seen me connected to an angry fish and had stripped down, grabbed the net, jumped in and was set to slip it under my unseen fish.

Now at this stage its worth mentioning that world record for Pacu is 55lbs and we had seen the fish top a few times and it was 99% a Pacu. And this was a very big Pacu. It dawned on me that I could be a few minutes away from being a world record holder. I drew the fish over the net and we all gasped as it was a colossal looking fish, that had to go over 55lbs.

It hit the back of the net first time of asking and we all looked into the water. Unfortunately, the Pacu has a very close relative (think Roach and Rudd) that is identical except for slightly darker colouring underneath. We pulled the fish up and yes...you’ve guessed it.... a prize Tambaqui. Still an awesome specimen of one, but 10 lbs below the world record. Was I disappointed; of course...but still elated- awesome fighting machines- and great fun. It’s a very funny feeling though, when you think- jeez- I might a world record holder in a few minutes. I feel for the guys who know that they have hooked one to lose it at the net. That must be devastating.

50lbtambaqui.jpg

Sorry it’s not carpy- but thought you may enjoy it.

Great tale fella, you have had some magical fish on your travels, makes me thing of jeremy wade ( i think thats his name) on the amazon, john wilson also fished in thailand, i watched that one, your the forums cery own adventurer :)

Guest keenook

Great story Cob, my friend has fished Gillams a few times too and caught a massive Arapiama, which at the time was a record!

Not been there myself, but I have been to Krabi which was a Tropical paradice..............Oooooooooh Thailand!