Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
sharpy86

Longest Session Yet!

WOW...

Going to do the longest session i have ever done before, 3 days! I have never done anything longer than 24hrs before, despite fishing for years!!!

Anyhow, date is chosen; 11th - 14th May.

Venue is chosen; Manor Farm Lake / St. Johns Lake (Richworth Linear Fisheries)

Just woundering about tactics on these lakes, rigs, bait, feeding times, where to place the baits :lol::lol::lol::lol: All info kindly welcomed! I want to at least to catch a couple!

Ideal mate, let us know how u get on as looking at trying it myself though not a 3 dayer like you possibly an over nighter, i wont have a home to go to. The mrs would put me out instead of the cat !!!

I did receive their 2007 brochure only this mornin and thumbing on the idea of trying their brasenose ponds but u mite knw different.

Like Karper has stated u'd wanna boot just for the bait. Good luck though matey. :)

Guest Anonymous

Pardon my ignorance but what do you do when you fish 72 hours strait? Is most of it just sitting and waiting?

Brasenose 1.

I've fished it once before.

Had the time of my life in 24 hours. It was a pleasure to be able to long cast again without worrying about casting over the water.

I was on the second peg as you drive into the car park on the left hand side next to the portable kharzi.

The bailiff was a true gent. There wasn't a thing he wouldn't explain when asked. I highly recommend it.

Two snippets of advice. First fish a three day session not three overnighters. You have the chance to lay out some traps and wait for the big fish to make mistakes, don't cock it up by winding in and recasting every five minutes. When I was bailiff on Linear the feeding times were often early mornings and we would not touch a rod (nor start spodding) until after ten in the morning. By setting our baits during the previous afternoon caught us a lot of fish. That was from 1990 to 2000 so things may have changed by now so the next advice is phone Roy and Chris and tell them that this will be your first ever three day session and you need advice on where and HOW to fish. Chris is a good carp angler and you can tell him that Keith Moors has suggested that he should be able to help. Good luck and let us know how you get on. One last piece of advice fish for one fish at a time, don't go with a "multi-fish" target or you may be disapoimted.

Moorsey i take it its as good as they say it is?

Got their brochure and looks really nice, just going for a 24hr session 1st as about 3hrs drive so not worth a day ticket.

Two snippets of advice. First fish a three day session not three overnighters. You have the chance to lay out some traps and wait for the big fish to make mistakes, don't cock it up by winding in and recasting every five minutes. When I was bailiff on Linear the feeding times were often early mornings and we would not touch a rod (nor start spodding) until after ten in the morning. By setting our baits during the previous afternoon caught us a lot of fish. That was from 1990 to 2000 so things may have changed by now so the next advice is phone Roy and Chris and tell them that this will be your first ever three day session and you need advice on where and HOW to fish. Chris is a good carp angler and you can tell him that Keith Moors has suggested that he should be able to help. Good luck and let us know how you get on. One last piece of advice fish for one fish at a time, don't go with a "multi-fish" target or you may be disapoimted.

Thanks for the advice moorsey. I would REALLY love one of those deep brown / orange, big scaled mirrors out of there! They are seriously to die for! Im not after loads of fish, but a couple on the bank would make it amazing tho.

What do you mean by 3 days rather than 3 nights? I'll be driving there friday morning. And leave Monday afternoon, 3-4 o'clock.

I was planning on giving the baliff a call before i went to see how it is all fishing and what bait works well.

The idea is hemp, pellets (Matching boilie flavour), sweetcorn and crushed boilies for the "ground bait", and a double or single boilie on the hair, glugged with a pva bag.

Do you know of good boilie that works well?? I'm thinking some of the frozen mainline range (a bit worried about how to keep them on the bank tho).

All advice is kindly welcomed. :D

Being self employed i try to arrange my work so that 95% of my fishing is sessions anywhere from 3 days upto 7 or 8 days and 10 day sessions are not unknown if my daughter and work allow.

The longer the session the more i enjoy it, the main reasons are.

The 2 main waters i fish are fairly small and they both hold some big, rig wise and very spookie carp.

You only need an angler to turn up and hammer their pegs or sticks in with a mallet and that almost certainly means no fish will get caught for at least 12 hours and somtimes upto 24 hours from anywhere on the lake.

There is nothing worst than turning up for a quick overnighter and finding the lake empty. Then after setting up somone else turns up, gets all mallet happy and kills the lake for the night.

I know then that i may as well pack up and go home but in the hope that things will be different that night, i never do and almost certainly end up with a big fat blank.

So a few nights are are always favourable over 24hrs just in case Timmy and his mallet turn up for a quick 24hr blank

I also find longer sessions help me build a quicker and better picture of the lake, it's inhabitants and their habbits.

During the day i am always making notes of conditions and where any fish are showing and if the weather changes then how the weather changed and where the fish moved to if they show themselves all goes into my log in great detail.

I feel i have move chance of observing these weather changes and the effects of them during one long session rather than 3 or 4 single day or 24hr sessions.

Plus if i feel a move is in order to get on the fish, then i find it easier to motivate myself to move knowing i still have a night or two ahead of me.

Anyway once i drop my daughter at school in the morning i am off fishing untill Monday/Tuesday for my last session on my target water before the season closes on the 15th.

Tight lines

I would reckon he means that as its 3 day session rather than 3 overnights then leave the Baits out as long as possible preferably at least 24hours (or longer) before reeling them in.

The majority of Anglers seem to reel in at first light and put more bait in and fresh hookbaits on. In my view this can often be a mistake. Leave them in place until afternoon. The Fresh Baiting up, may scare the Carp or it could simply get them to leave the Hookbait alone for a little longer.

I then reel in in the afternoon and may put fresh bait on if I haven't had a Take, although at times it can be worth casting out the same hookbait! I may or may not put more freebies in depending on if I feel I have had some sort of attention to the Baited area. It can be worth putting nothing else in sometimes!

The other thing that you may find is that as its a weekend 3day session that Friday afternoon loads of people come down and pile the Bait in for the weekend. In that case it mat be worth fishing with Very little yourself. The Friday afternoon Bombardment is a regular phenomenon on some lakes. Every single angler and his dog piles in the Baits and then little is caught until the Carp have stopped either spooking Monday or are ready to feed again after a Major feast over the weekend. There can be so much Food Out that they can really pick and choose what they eat. It can be really worth fishing with just tiny Patches of Bait, Bags etc. and still leave them out for a minimum of 24 hours.

Then Saturday, there is the "I haven't caught", so out goes another 3 mixes of baits and the Carp are still very spooky or even more full of food.

Does that make sense?

Yup, makes perfect sense. If the lakes are rammed, which they probably would be at the start of may on the uks top day ticket water, then i would take note and bait up / not bait up accordingly. Im hoping, that since it is the bank holiday the weekend before, that it wont be as busy the weekend i go, in theory!. On the other hand, people may be thinking the same as me :?:?

Obviously, ill take enough bait for all circumstances!

Im sooooo buzzing about going!! Since its my 21st in april 8) I will be splashing out on some new gear (reels and bivvy mainly) and getting everything ready!

Whats does everyone do about keeping frozen boilies fresh while on longer sessions?

You were absolutely right Nick. I was trying to say that a lot of anglers waste sessions by turning them into sets of single overnighters.

My tip for keeping bait is to tip it all out onto a towel to allow the ice to come out of it (probably 24 hours) and then put some into a bucket, cover it with rice, then some more boilies then more rice etc. The rice removes the last of the water and the bait will keep for ages.

When as you say u pop down to the lake/pond u intend to fish the following day to pre bait, there is often problems with that idea also.

I went down to one once and did this as normal then left, The following morning I got down there at 6am to set up and start whooping some carp and there was a carper already there.

It turned out he had done the same and pre baited up in the same spot and came back that night to start so all the bait i put in went to a greater cause as he came out with a 38lber.

I on the other hand had to go elsewhere with my tale between my legs as the owner confirmed he pre baited up before me. :evil:

I once did 15 days and nights when my company used to have an annual 3 week shut down....my wife visited her sister in Canada and I went fishing for a few days....that just lead into another and another. I only popped home to feed the cats and stock up on supplies etc. I grew a beard while she was away and she never recognised me when I picked her up at Heathrow on her return :roll:

Dont forget to take that all important bit of tackle for a 3 day session.

A PEN AND PAPER.

Spend the first hour or so feature finding your swim. And make notes! Try and find one feature for every rod plus an extra one. stick bait out on all features then drop your lines in sit back, chill out and watch whats going on. Look for signs of fish in any of your baited areas but dont be tempted to move your lines if you see fish in other areas. Patience is the best tackle you have on a 3 day session.

Now for that extra baited up spot. If you havnt caught by the final day then move a line into that area and see what happens. the fish may have moved in to that area and be feeding with out getting spooked by liners, bites or takes. Also if you have caught/had a run in one of the other areas move your line into the extra baited spot to let any spooked fish calm down.

I used this extra spot on a 48 hr session at Sandhurst last year and on the last morning I cast out to the extra spot and caught a blank saving 16lb common within an hour.

Good luck and dont forget to take a camera to record your catch!

NitroNick