young fishers

gaz4boilies

hello carpfishers of britian i am a young carp fisher from south yorkshire who loves to night fish but i have fished and caught in all the places that are local and imm looking for something with bigger fish in but because i am only sixteen most big fisheries wont let me night fish what do you recermend ??????????????/

Sorry, you aren't going to like my answer:

Accept the fishing you have available to you or go with an adult, preferably your mother or father.

There are a number of reasons for lakes not allowing juniors to night fish, insurance, health and safety, and why on earth should a fishery manager/bailiff become a child minder?

You are limited to your area, or as to where you can get to by yourself or where your parents/friends drop you off; fish them, you haven't learnt everything about those lakes yet I'll bet, so learn and enjoy.

The bailiff dont no your age just tell them your 18 thats what i used to do! doubt they will ask if you are compertent and have the appropiate gear! If you caught the fish in the waters you fished its time to move on.

Alot of adualts need baby sitting! Age dont mean anything! as rule if sum1s a tool on the bank when there 16 they probs be a tool when there older!

The bailiff dont no your age just tell them your 18 thats what i used to do! doubt they will ask if you are compertent and have the appropiate gear! If you caught the fish in the waters you fished its time to move on.

Alot of adualts need baby sitting! Age dont mean anything! as rule if sum1s a tool on the bank when there 16 they probs be a tool when there older!

Rules are there for a purpose mate.

If this guy goes on his own and drowns,are you going to break the news to his parents?

If this guy goes on his own and drowns,are you going to break the news to his parents?

But in all honesty, that could happen to anyone, even if he was with his parents and could happen in the day. Accidents happen that sometimes you cant prevent.

I have also seen this rule a little silly because most people wont be much more mature at 18 than they are at 16. Perhaps fish it during the day for a few times mate, let the owner see your a responsible angler then speak to him again about it.

But in all honesty, that could happen to anyone, even if he was with his parents and could happen in the day. Accidents happen that sometimes you cant prevent.

I have also seen this rule a little silly because most people wont be much more mature at 18 than they are at 16. Perhaps fish it during the day for a few times mate, let the owner see your a responsible angler then speak to him again about it.

So where do you draw the line?

Yes i would agree that some are mature for their age, but i still wouldn't like to be responsible for giving a minor advice and then something going wrong. Every case on its individual merits, without meeting him in person i would always treat any advice with caution, theres nothing wrong with being cautious, something which i commented on with stefan on another post. With all due respect everyone can get into difficulty no matter what age they are, senior anglers have probably been in some of these situations and come out alright and so learn from the benefit of experience, young anglers no matter how mature may not know how to get out of a difficult situation, due to the lack of experience, so i would always be cautious giving advice. :)

I would say 16 years old to night fish alone if they can prove they are a responsible angler and fish during the day a couple times.

I have seen 15 year olds much more mature than some 21 year olds.

Sure, but until the age of 18 you are still classed as a minor and as such the responsibility of your parents. If you leave home at the age of 16 you have to have parental consent (or state consent if you have no responsible parent or guardian).

Age of majority in England

The age of majority throughout the U.K. (United Kingdom) - that is England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland - is 18 (eighteen).

So 18 is probably the considered age that Fisheries insurance covers them, UNLESS they are with the responsible adult.

If the fishery rules state that he has to be 18, and whether he is mature or not, then sorry, TOUGH accept it.

Heck, I always wanted to grow old disgracefully, I'm a big kid, not very mature at times, always kidding around, not always totally responsible, yet when it comes to water I try to stay safe. Even then, I've fallen in a few times, not always my own fault, yet I dread to think what could have happened.

Now tell some mother that her son or daughter has drowned because they slipped in while walking around the bank, didn't see a tree root and fell in or the bank collapsed. You MAY be responsible at the age of 16, but I sure as heck know I wouldn't want to have to pass that news on.

Maturity does NOT equate to the purpose of rules being in place when they are there for a viable reason

Rules are rules...it really is that simple....we all have to live by rules in some form...should the goalposts move to accomodate all the time????....some things are better for waiting...like pubs were.....everything in its due course...dont rush EVERYTHING in life....alternatively...farmers do have pools holding surprises....it doesnt have to be a commercial venue....does it???

I would say 16 years old to night fish alone if they can prove they are a responsible angler and fish during the day a couple times.

I have seen 15 year olds much more mature than some 21 year olds.

Sure, but until the age of 18 you are still classed as a minor and as such the responsibility of your parents. If you leave home at the age of 16 you have to have parental consent (or state consent if you have no responsible parent or guardian).

Age of majority in England

The age of majority throughout the U.K. (United Kingdom) - that is England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland - is 18 (eighteen).

So 18 is probably the considered age that Fisheries insurance covers them, UNLESS they are with the responsible adult.

If the fishery rules state that he has to be 18, and whether he is mature or not, then sorry, TOUGH accept it.

Heck, I always wanted to grow old disgracefully, I'm a big kid, not very mature at times, always kidding around, not always totally responsible, yet when it comes to water I try to stay safe. Even then, I've fallen in a few times, not always my own fault, yet I dread to think what could have happened.

Now tell some mother that her son or daughter has drowned because they slipped in while walking around the bank, didn't see a tree root and fell in or the bank collapsed. You MAY be responsible at the age of 16, but I sure as heck know I wouldn't want to have to pass that news on.

Maturity does NOT equate to the purpose of rules being in place when they are there for a viable reason

But you could just as easily fall in during the day so that risk is still their regardless yet most fisheries allow you to fish alone during the day if you are 14 and older. I know that during the day the more likely someone will see you and come help but i have fished alone quite a few times and i have been the only one on the lake.

Public liability insurance.....may simply be a stipulation on the cover...I lease twelve acres of coppice and broadleaf woodland...and work it....its private property and is fenced and signed...yet I still need public liability :wink:

Hi fella

The risk is always as you point out there (always)

But when a question off a minor gets asked on here, we as older anglers have to bare in mind the age of the young angler, how would you feel if you gave this young lad advice and he ended up drowning, because he told the bailiff he was older and there fore more responsible. Im not trying to cause an argument here but i couldn't live with the knowledge i may have caused an accident.

But you could just as easily fall in during the day so that risk is still their regardless yet most fisheries allow you to fish alone during the day if you are 14 and older. I know that during the day the more likely someone will see you and come help but i have fished alone quite a few times and i have been the only one on the lake.

As I said, Rules is Rules. Rules may be different regarding Club or Commercial, but Commercial properties have to have Insurance, whereas Clubs may not have that need. The Commercial property will set their rules dependant on what the insurance company states. It does not in any way matter how responsible you are, as as there is likely to be responsible adult around during the day during day, that bailiff, owner or manager etc.

Daytime is daytime and light, Night is night and dark.

The risk may still be there, but during the day you can be seen, it is DAYLIGHT.

You may not see the bailiff or owner or fishery manager, but he may well have a set of binoculars on you at times, or aware of your presence.

At night it is often likely that there will be no "official" person on the water. Fishery managers, bailiffs etc go home to bed to sleep, you are on your own.

It could be worse, I can think of a commercial water where Juniors have to be accompanied at all times.

i didnt mean to give the impression that i would encourage a minor to lie and say he was 18 nor was i encouraging any people to break rules of any fisheries they fish.

I was only saying my opinion on the subject from personal experience, i used to long for night fishing certain venues yet couldnt for being under 18 then some other places aloud me to at the age of 16.

I have only just turned 18 last month and have fished the venues i have been waiting to for a while but last month i got into a argument with a ballif because me and a few mates who were all 18 before me were going to go for a 4 day session to celebrate my birthday but because we were going to go the day before my birthday so the first night i would of still been 17 the ballif refused to let me on for the first night.

Hi fella

The risk is always as you point out there (always)

But when a question off a minor gets asked on here, we as older anglers have to bare in mind the age of the young angler, how would you feel if you gave this young lad advice and he ended up drowning, because he told the bailiff he was older and there fore more responsible. Im not trying to cause an argument here but i couldn't live with the knowledge i may have caused an accident.

spot on...as I pointed out on stefans thread.."do not under any circumstance enter the water".... :wink: