HELP! Degree assignment on big fish venues

Afternoon all, first poster here.

Im studying enviromental geography/science and have an assignment due for when I return. We were asked to write an 2500 word essay (quite lengthy) on a topic of our choice. Being an angler I have decided to study the controversy and impact surrounding 'instant big fish' venues in the UK. In short I'm looking at the types of venues where big fish have been imported: from other lakes within the UK, grown on themselves, and or from abroad. I am looking to get a numebr of case studies (around 15) for which I can base my essay on.

I am looking for lakes that give anglers a real chance of catching 30's and 40's (maybe even a 50) in a short space of time. It would be of great help if you could offer me your suggestions of lakes like this so that I can increase my case study tally and write a competent piece of work.

PM me if you could offer me any advice.

Thank you for your time, Phil

I would cross cromwell off that list.

The lads on here done a session on there in march, and it looked a tricky lake, yes it holds big fish, but you have to work for the fish, it's not cast and catch a lump.

Im not suggesting that they are necessarily easily as many lakes are not. But they do contain bigger fish (whether imported from abroad or not) and are non syndicate waters. They also charge more than the average water, as there is an expectation of catching bigger fish?

But to me, an instant big hit water, is a big fish runs water, along the line of pavyotts mill, like you said.

If your after big fish that you can catch on a day ticket...

Sandhurst,

Bluebell lakes complex,

Linear fisheries to name a few

he hasn't mentioned an instant big hit water he has stated an "instant big fish water",ie a lake that has been stocked with bigger than average fish,more often than not with imported foriegn fish.not always a runs water though.

Im studying enviromental geography/science and have an assignment due for when I return. We were asked to write an 2500 word essay (quite lengthy) on a topic of our choice. Being an angler I have decided to study the controversy and impact surrounding 'instant big fish' venues in the UK. In short I'm looking at the types of venues where big fish have been imported from other lakes within the UK and abroad. I am looking to get a numebr of case studies (around 15) for which I can base my essay on.

With my previous knowledge and the searching I have done so far, these are some the venues which I am looking to analyse (preferably instant day ticket or long stay venues instead of syndicates)

Pavyotts mill

Pendle view fishery

Emmotland

Cromwell lake

Jimmy's lake in lancashire

The monument

I am looking for lakes, like these, that give anglers a real chance of catching 30's and 40's (maybe even a 50) in a short space of time. It would be of great help if you could offer me your suggestions of other lakes like these so that I can increase my case study tally and write a competent piece of work.

You could have bitten off a fair chunk with that as a topic choice!

You could add loads more waters, Oak Lodge in Essex, Catch22 in Norfolk (used to be known as Lyng Easthaugh) and many other waters.

You could even actually add probably almost all of the current Commercial waters available in the country.

Not saying that all of them have imported fish from abroad, but many have purposely bought big fish in from fish farms, or even from other fisheries.

Suffolk Water Park was taken over and fish were moved from a lake out near Sudbury, and one of them was The Clare Park fish, later known as Grey Tail. Now SWP has its own stock lakes (fish farm as well I think) on site and the bigger fish get put into the Specimen Lake.

It may also be worth contacting ECHO to come up with some of their ideas and opinions, as would a word with Levigsp (polite PM may help introducing and explaining yourself)

This may also help a bit, http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37516&highlight=khv; as I said, a very big assignment, you may actually be looking to cut it down to 2500 words, not struggle to make that many.

But to me, an instant big hit water, is a big fish runs water, along the line of pavyotts mill, like you said.

Sandhurst,

Bluebell lakes complex,

he hasn't mentioned an instant big hit water he has stated an "instant big fish water",ie a lake that has been stocked with bigger than average fish,more often than not with imported foriegn fish.not always a runs water though.

Oh yeah, my misunderstanding, sorry.

Anyway, the 3 I listed are big fish waters, and I'm sure many people will post many more big fish lakes.

Im studying enviromental geography/science and have an assignment due for when I return. We were asked to write an 2500 word essay (quite lengthy) on a topic of our choice. Being an angler I have decided to study the controversy and impact surrounding 'instant big fish' venues in the UK. In short I'm looking at the types of venues where big fish have been imported from other lakes within the UK and abroad. I am looking to get a numebr of case studies (around 15) for which I can base my essay on.

With my previous knowledge and the searching I have done so far, these are some the venues which I am looking to analyse (preferably instant day ticket or long stay venues instead of syndicates)

Pavyotts mill

Pendle view fishery

Emmotland

Cromwell lake

Jimmy's lake in lancashire

The monument

I am looking for lakes, like these, that give anglers a real chance of catching 30's and 40's (maybe even a 50) in a short space of time. It would be of great help if you could offer me your suggestions of other lakes like these so that I can increase my case study tally and write a competent piece of work.

You could have bitten off a fair chunk with that as a topic choice!

You could add loads more waters, Oak Lodge in Essex, Catch22 in Norfolk (used to be known as Lyng Easthaugh) and many other waters.

You could even actually add probably almost all of the current Commercial waters available in the country.

Not saying that all of them have imported fish from abroad, but many have purposely bought big fish in from fish farms, or even from other fisheries.

Suffolk Water Park was taken over and fish were moved from a lake out near Sudbury, and one of them was The Clare Park fish, later known as Grey Tail. Now SWP has its own stock lakes (fish farm as well I think) on site and the bigger fish get put into the Specimen Lake.

It may also be worth contacting ECHO to come up with some of their ideas and opinions, as would a word with Levigsp (polite PM may help introducing and explaining yourself)

This may also help a bit, http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37516&highlight=khv; as I said, a very big assignment, you may actually be looking to cut it down to 2500 words, not struggle to make that many.

Cheers for your help, much appreciated :D

Sandhurst,

Bluebell lakes complex,

Ross, what is the difference between the fish in Cromwell and the fish in Pavyotts??

Sandhurst,

Bluebell lakes complex,

Ross, what is the difference between the fish in Cromwell and the fish in Pavyotts??

I'm only going off what I've seen and read, but my understanding off Cromwell and pavyotts is

Cromwell, a decent head if fish, but can be tricky to catch, and have to really work for your catch, and are rewarded with you catch.

Pavyotts, big head of big carp, that where brought here from another country at massive weights, relatively easy to catch and not a challenging water.

Nige, as I said, I'm going off what I'm read, is Cromwell not as hard as I have read, or is pavyotts harder than how I have enterpratated it from reading about it?

Sandhurst,

Bluebell lakes complex,

Oh yeah, my misunderstanding, sorry.

Anyway, the 3 I listed are big fish waters, and I'm sure many people will post many more big fish lakes.

without going into passports........there are big fish and the are wrong'uns...big fish have gain that weight in the water that they live...wrong'uns are stocked to earn £££££££££££

More along the lines of the same fish. I have been led to believe, that is!

One may be harder to fish than the other but they are both instant, big fish waters. There's no harm in that. But from what I have been told, they are both stocked with the same fish.

I'm quite often assuming things, then later going on to make myself look like a fool.

I missunderatood what the initial question was, I thought he meant catch a big fish with ease, but I now understand I was wrong.

I thought there was a big difference between pavyotts and Cromwell, but clearly not, thanks for cleaning it up, maybe one day I might learn to do abit of research before letting my fingers loose on a keyboard.

Haha. There is a big difference between Pavyotts and Cromwell, just that they are still both, what I would class as, instant big fish venues. Along with why I have been told, the same supply of fish??? I could be wrong on that front though :wink:

Very true, i see what you mean about instant big fish waters.

But how would you compare them too lakes like linear with Manor and st johns, also hold fish to over 40lb, would you class them as big fish waters too?

Obviously a different supply of fish though (assuming again :wink:)

This post is not to cause argument or stir feelings that may exist within the forum. Im just looking for some guidance. Please do not use this thread to vent your anger at any of the fisheries mentioned.

I'm simply after a list of fisheries that match my description, if that is not possible then please dont comment.

Thanks

This post is not to cause argument or stir feelings that may exist within the forum. Im just looking for some guidance. Please do not use this thread to vent your anger at any of the fisheries mentioned.

I'm simply after a list of fisheries that match my description, if that is not possible then please dont comment.

Thanks

With all due respect- as a first time poster- please don't dictate to mature and existing users what the forum and thread should be used for.

You are probably missing the point of your assignment if you do not get to grips with the conversation here between knowledgeable anglers who are probably much closer 'plugged in' to the nature of fisheries and their perception amongst anglers. I would re-read the posts it may give you some ideas for your thesis. :wink:

I think its pretty unfair to ask people to help with what you as an angler MUST know is a fairy emotive subject....and then want to "moderate" the replies...all of which are relative to that subject...added to the fact that you asked for peoples help...and as a first time poster.....not winning hearts and minds

I think its pretty unfair to ask people to help with what you as an angler MUST know is a fairy emotive subject....and then want to "moderate" the replies...all of which are relative to that subject...added to the fact that you asked for peoples help...and as a first time poster.....not winning hearts and minds

Well said that man

You asked a question, we gave you answers.

There are no arguments on this page, it's a discussion, you can't expect us to give you the answers that you want to hear, we have given you our thoughts, and you certainly can't dictate what we do and don't write, it is an open forum after al.

Oh, and Goodluck if you ask any more questions, because I doubt you will get as much help.