Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
blanksalot

Clutch or Backwind ?

backwind and finger on the spool for a bigger run....had too many clutches lock over the years....my actual preferred method is a pinner.....not even comparible in terms of control....far superior :wink: (just not viable other than for stalking...which i do use one for)

I use the clutch .......The sound of a fish ripping line off is ace 8)

Ive tried using backwind and it was ok ...... just prefere the clutch

Your suppose to have a bit more control with backwind and line twist can occur with using the clutch but a spin doctor puts paid to that ......

I think its really a personal choice and dont think there no wrong or right to what you use :)

I use the clutch .......The sound of a fish ripping line off is ace 8)

Ive tried using backwind and it was ok ...... just prefere the clutch

Your suppose to have a bit more control with backwind and line twist can occur with using the clutch but a spin doctor puts paid to that ......

I think its really a personal choice and dont think there no wrong or right to what you use :)

far more control on backwind steve....but as you say...personal choice

I have always played fish by backwinding. With Big Pits and no baitrunner I simply tightened up the front drag on picking the rod up and switched the anti-reverse off, now back to baitrunners it simply flick the switch under the reel body, easy as pie.

As Del says, I do love the Centre Pin for stalking though. Very impressive if you can get the fish close enough freelined floater fishing, very good fun.

Even my son prefers back winding on bigger fish on the match rod. I've leaned over a couple of times to loosen the clutch for him when I've seen the fish and he's said no, he wants to backwind as he feels more in control.

Sometimes I'll use the backwind if only because I'm old skool and love the direct feel/link between my fingers and the quarry. For that reason centrepins are my favoured reels, especially on rivers and when stalking.

For session carp fishing I'll admit that it's simpler to use the clutch but only if using decent quality reels. I'm fortunate enough to own several reels, Shimano and Daiwa amongst them. I service my own reels and feel that the clutches on my Daiwa Regal Plus 5000 BRi's are more substantial and refined than those on my Shimmy 10k's. It's good to have a choice, though, front drag on the Daiwa's and convenient rear drag adjustment on the Shimano's.

Ian

I think we can tell the old timers from the newer carpers in the responses so far. Backwind lads no clutch is sensitive enough to tell you whats going on compared with backwinding. I see lads using the clutch and its almost as if they are scared to let the rod do its job, clutches set far to light with the fish in control seems to be the norm to me. Give them some stick and get them in as quick as possible, far better than the fish totally knackering in out on a loosely set clutch. The worse bit of fish playing i have ever seen happened on a carp.com social and a few on here now know what i'm on about. To me any 20lb fish should be on the bank in 5 mins or less unless in a river if not you aint playing them hard enough.

just more in control and in direct contact with the fish to my mind Nick.....I want to feel every knock and lunge...not hear it :wink:

Always clutch.

Theres no way you could back wind A lot of the fish I've caught over the years. Modern clutches are more than capable of taming every carp in the uk today.

I think we can tell the old timers from the newer carpers in the responses so far. Backwind lads no clutch is sensitive enough to tell you whats going on compared with backwinding. I see lads using the clutch and its almost as if they are scared to let the rod do its job, clutches set far to light with the fish in control seems to be the norm to me. Give them some stick and get them in as quick as possible, far better than the fish totally knackering in out on a loosely set clutch. The worse bit of fish playing i have ever seen happened on a carp.com social and a few on here now know what i'm on about. To me any 20lb fish should be on the bank in 5 mins or less unless in a river if not you aint playing them hard enough.
...I remember that one mate....ridiculous beyond belief...for a low twenty too....ever likely it was not a happy camper on the bank :wink:

Not wanting to cause an argument ....as ive said ive nearly allways used my clutch ......but is backwinding not using your full curve of your rod :?

I was taught to set your clutch by getting a full bend on your rod and when you think your rod cant take no more and your ready to hear crack your clutch lets its 1st click :?::?

I well remember a certain angler at one of the Merrington socials taking 40 minutes to land a fish. Every few minutes I'd look over and assume he was into another.....wrong! By the time the carp was netted both fish and angler were exhausted. He came in for a LOT of crticism and, soon after, chose to quit this forum. Can I assume that this is what you refer to, Jez?

Ian

I well remember a certain angler at one of the Merrington socials taking 40 minutes to land a fish. Every few minutes I'd look over and assume he was into another.....wrong! By the time the carp was netted both fish and angler were exhausted. He came in for a LOT of crticism and, soon after, chose to quit this forum. Can I assume that this is what you refer to, Jez?

Ian

thats the one Ian ....never seen anything like it....ridiculous...and undue pressure

Ian

Oh yes worse bit of angling i've ever seen, good job it was in cold conditions i wouldn't fancy that fishes chances in low oxygen levels at the height of summer.

Ian

Oh yes worse bit of angling i've ever seen, good job it was in cold conditions i wouldn't fancy that fishes chances in low oxygen levels at the height of summer.
would of expired mate....bare in mind it was damn cold....colder for you guys on the arctic bank....but it was way out of proportion.....and can I add...3lbTC...and basias!!!...no surprise there then eh!! :wink::wink:

Always clutch.

Theres no way you could back wind A lot of the fish I've caught over the years. Modern clutches are more than capable of taming every carp in the uk today.

Totally disagree Cob any fish can be landed by backwinding, i even backwind on cats and no carp can compare with cats.

Not wanting to cause an argument ....as ive said ive nearly allways used my clutch ......but is backwinding not using your full curve of your rod :?

I was taught to set your clutch by getting a full bend on your rod and when you think your rod cant take no more and your ready to hear crack your clutch lets its 1st click :?::?

Stevo, not a direct answer I know but next time you're into a decent fish and you're confident that the hook is well set, reach down for the anti-reverse lever/switch thingy with your right hand while keeping tension on the fish with the retrieve handle. You'll feel every movement that the fish makes. If it turns, you'll know immediately, if it's trying to shed the hook by shaking it's head, you'll know. It's DIRECT information.

I have assumed that you're right handed. If not, you're a southpaw scouser and there really is little hope for you. :wink:

Ian

I think its all down to a comfort /confidence zone.....played very good fish in HEAVY flow on the zezere in portugal on backwind....simply down to personal preferance ...but no amount of evidence will change my mind...back wind...FULL control :wink: