Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Guest keenook

How do I catch a Carp?

Guest keenook

Strange title I know, but reading through so many threads asking that exact question, promted me to ask how?

I have never asked how, but just progressted to the pinicle that I call Carp angling.........................so just out of interest............how did you learn........books................Forums.................Thinking Tackle..............advice...............or with your eyes?

Fished for anything for 6 or 7 years between the ages of 10 and 17. Towards the end of that period I started to hone my tactics to target particular species (Big Roach and Perch first, then into Chub, Barbel and Tench). Took a break for about 5 years where I didn't do it at all :( (alcohol, girls and music were a more attractive pursuit during those years).

Got back into it all recently and being as Carp were pretty much the last species for me to target directly, I thought why not :)

All the time I would learn from magazines and John Wilson DVD's. Bought quite a few books (actually just had a look at the John Wilson book I have, it's awesome!) but mostly I'd spend time watching other people, seeing what they did and fishing matches. I'd also spend a lot of time talking to people on the bank. This was much easier when I was younger as you'd find people much more willing to share knowledge with a kid and I learned a hell of a lot this way....I'd like to feel I'm paying something back by helping out the youngsters at my regular water now.

As I've said in another thread, I fished around the Yateley complex when I was about 13/14 - I had no idea of it's status as a carp water(s). I was just there after the Roach and Tench because my uncle lived just down the road and I spent the summer holidays there. During one summer, I met a guy who was fishing what I now know was the Car Park lake in the swim right out of the car park. I noticed he'd been there for pretty much 3 weeks straight as I used to go down daily...I eventually asked him why he'd been there so long (as this was a style of fishing/camping :wink: I didn't know much about) and assumed he must have caught literally thousands of fish...Over the next few days, he proceeded to teach me more than anything or anyone ever has about fishing. I have no idea who he was, if he's is/was a known angler (for all I know it could have been Terry Hearn as it was in that sort of era!) but it doesn't really matter who they were...I'll be forever grateful for him sharing his knowledge with me!

Sorry, that ended up being longer than I was intending!

Been general fishing since the age of 6, 40 yrs ago!

Got into specimen fishing, bream, tench etc. in my teens.

Started unsuccessful carp fishing when I was about 18, then read some books, most noteably Rob Maylin's 'Tiger Bay' and learnt enough to catch a few carp.

Still learning and evolving to this day!

through progression for me. started on the rivers as a kid, then went onto small lakes when i moved to a new area, then onto carp after hooking a few and just about landing them which gave me the bug to hook bigger fish lol. a good mate showed me the ins and outs of rigs and SAFETY etc

Carp....well my dad and godfather taught me the basics....then trial and error...then mags....then a long spell of trial and error.....watching watching watching....overthinking it all...have picked up a couple of helpfull hints online...we can all learn a bit and its a liar that denies that....but the basic answer is through working at it....hard

My Dad first took me fishing when I was about 7 years old, but he wasn't an angler, he just gave in to my pleadings. I got a 6ft spinning rod and reel for christmas, and Dad used an old rod and centre pin reel given to his father. From there we just picked it up as we went along, taking to anglers, bailifs, and tackle shop owners. Trial and error, and above all, we used our eyes and ears. And that's pretty much what I've been doing ever since. Trying to learn something new every time I'm on the bank.

I have taken little bits from Angling Mags and programs over the years, especially John Wilson, but now if there's anything I need to know, I just ask on here.

Being the only angler in my family I owe a hell of a lot to my best mate Bobby. I learnt to fish with him on the local canals and rivers and moved onto Carp fishing through him as well. He flittered in and out of fishing where as I continued and have become an obsessive. From there my eyes have played a huge part, just learning that you need to find fish to catch them was a huge learning curve. Gradually watching fish feed and move around taught me a lot about rigs.

I would have to admit that I have picked a number things up from magazines that I have tested and liked, but there are far more things I have seen that I don't like. I can't say I originated the Chod rig, Hinged Stiff Rig and combi rig so I have to say that a large part of my angling is almost copied as these are the rigs I use for 90% of my angling.

I think deep down when we think about it we have to admit that most of us have learnt from others and we should accept that there is no shame in this. My current target fish was caught by another angler after I told him I had seen her in a certain area. Is this copying my knowledge? No it's just good angling, always keep your eyes and ears open.

A lot of time fishing for other species, then deciding that carp were a progression. Ever since the 1990's I have watched and learned as much as I can; what they want, where they hide, how they feed, and how they behave due to weather and pressure from the air and anglers.

I have learnt loads from other anglers, on here, some from magazines (although not much from the latest versions available), but most of it is down to watching, experimenting and "being".

Strange title I know, but reading through so many threads asking that exact question, promted me to ask how?

I have never asked how, but just progressted to the pinicle that I call Carp angling.........................so just out of interest............how did you learn........books................Forums.................Thinking Tackle..............advice...............or with your eyes?

All of this but ultimately down to me adapting things I've seen till I'm happy fishing that way…and keeping it as simple as possible! :D

All the above , but I don't catch carp, only bream :evil:

Trial and error and progression, plus watching and reading, ive never really fished with a lot of people to be honest, the fishing has always felt natural and ive always gone with instinct. I find i retain a lot of information with subjects i enjoy, ill sometimes persue another species but i always revert back to carp :)

Fishing with a whip pole. Fishing with bread. A few carp came in to the swim and got my tackle box tingling. I had to catch them but after a bent hook and a line break I just realised through common sense that my tackle wasn't strong enough. Came back with a float rod and happy to say my first experience of catching a carp was a free lined piece of bread...was special.