Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
muscle20

how much line on spool

how many yards/m of line do you put on your spool. i know there will be variables such as reel size and capacity but based on say lake size and casting distance how much do we actually need. lets start with a few distances 60 yds and 120 yds fishing disance. how much would you put on(use 12lb bs but dont see it makes any odds ?) this then leads to why do they make spools so deep and give us the hassle to back them out. ill start of with loading 220-250yds across the board to cover both .

any thoughts

how many yards/m of line do you put on your spool. i know there will be variables such as reel size and capacity but based on say lake size and casting distance how much do we actually need. lets start with a few distances 60 yds and 120 yds fishing disance. how much would you put on(use 12lb bs but dont see it makes any odds ?) this then leads to why do they make spools so deep and give us the hassle to back them out. ill start of with loading 220-250yds across the board to cover both .

any thoughts

The same as Stoogi, fill the line to just below the lip.

I don't bother with backing on a baitrunner spool, although I would on one of my Aerlex's.

As it happens, I know that a Shimano Baitrunner 10000 size spool will take 350metres of 0.35mm line, which is a proper 15lb line, or 500metres of 0.30, which is 10lbs.

I can't say I'm only going to fish at 60metres, or only at 100metres, as I will fish where the fish are, so I need the amount of line available to cover both.

You also need enough line on the reel to cope with having to re-rig should you get line damaged or fragged up. So maybe 20metres of line is ruined during the fight, you have to remove it, and set-up again.

If you dont load it to the lip then you would be amazed at the reduction in your casting distance ..via drag of the line running over the lip...If you find you dont need to fish at great distance...simply opt for a shallower spool depth for your reels....My aerlex's hold a mile of line between the four of them...some may think its an expensive do to respool...but not when you think it is THE singular most important part of your tackle...bar none :wink:

If you dont load it to the lip then you would be amazed at the reduction in your casting distance ..via drag of the line running over the lip...If you find you dont need to fish at great distance...simply opt for a shallower spool depth for your reels....My aerlex's hold a mile of line between the four of them...some may think its an expensive do to respool...but not when you think it is THE singular most important part of your tackle...bar none :wink:

next to the hook :wink:

...behave....line fails....and the top hook is useless.....it is THE most important part...in thirty years of carping I have caught on sub standard hooks....never landed one on sub standard line :roll:

...behave....line fails....and the top hook is useless.....it is THE most important part...in thirty years of carping I have caught on sub standard hooks....never landed one on sub standard line :roll:

I think the brain might be more important than the line? :wink:

:lol: .....are you trying to school me???.....watercraft is inborn....cant be bought....and can only be learnt to a degree......and is therefore not tackle...its not out there to be bought :roll:

:lol: .....are you trying to school me???.....watercraft is inborn....cant be bought....and can only be learnt to a degree......and is therefore not tackle...its not out there to be bought :roll:

I thought I seen a flaw in your point about the line, but didn't expect an answer like that, going to crawl back into my cave now :D

Ross....dont take it wrong fella.......nothing meant by it :lol:

This is where my writing skills fail me, I didn't take anything by it, all merely good humor. :)

What I tried to say didn't come out very well in text form :D

simply put.....tackle is bought...angling is learned...over a long time.....and not everybody gets it to the same degree...hence you will hear a few of us older ones say 'credit card anglers'....they can buy all the DF gear etc they want....an angler will still outfish them on the cheapest setup going....its either in you..or its not.....simple as that :D:wink:

Your right.

Same as all the gear and no idea, as you say, can buy all the best stuff but dosnt make them the best angler by a long shot.

I have a lot of years to go to become anywhere near "knowledgable" in this game, but look forward to those forthcoming years.

loading to the lip is fine. so nick if you were loading 10lb you would load 500m on.

Yep!

I don't want any weak spots, I don't want "line change" knots. What happens if I hook a fish that spools me? I've already in my match fishing days had a carp that took every single yard of line off the spool on a 100metre spool, took absolutely everything, hook, line, sinker, feeder and all that line.

I even complain if my manufacturers spool doesn't fill all 3 reels to the brim. I will actually buy a second manufacturers spool if I have to.

I've just bought myself a couple of Daiwa Regal Z 4000's and have loaded my main spools with 6lb line (I like to fish light!). I'll load the spare spools up with 12lb.

It took a lot of line to load them but the beauty is that I can now lob a freelined piece of meat or crust out absolutely miles compared to my old smaller spooled reels. 30 or 40 yards out, the line is still up to the lip, meaning a lot less friction and easier casting. Nothing more frustrating than not being able to get a piece of crust out to a cruising fish!

At £8.00 for a bulk spool of Sensor, it's cheap enough anyway!

I always overfill my spools slightly and then cast and retrieve a few times to bed the line down. Once the line has some pressure on it, it seems to bed in and absorb a few extra metres onto the spool.

Progressive distance casting is the key though- try and give it the big one from the off and you'll get a birds nest real quick.

nc

Also make sure the line goes on as tight as possible to help stop the first cast birds nest syndrome.

Anyway back on topic, personaly I do try to fully load my spools but around where I live the shops don't stock to much in the way of bulk spools, unless you want the super stiff stuff they get from China and sell to the sea fishers. Then it's a case of putting backing on first to keep the line upto the lip.

Mind you where I fish there is nothing so big that I cannot get it in without to much of a fight so it would not be an issue if I did only have 100 yards of line, although most of my spools do have 300 plus yards on them.

Paul