Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
garysj01

Catching For Cash

Hi everyone

We'll with all the trials and tribulations with carp.com recently iv'e been dying to get back to my blog.

This weekend i had planned to bait up again the same as usual and get fishing a couple of days after, but life, often as it does, threw another grenade into the mix.

The better half has been complaining of stomach cramps for several weeks now, the community midwife and the hospital had just put it down to her getting over the c section.

But nevertheless Chrissie booked herself in to see her GP, who very quickly booked in a scan for Friday to see what was going on, just as a precaution. Thinking nothing of it, i stayed home with Ben, as its just easier, rather than having a crying baby in the waiting room, which to be honest can takes hours sometimes.

About 1 o'clock Chrissie phoned me with the news that the scan had revealed a mass inside her womb. It turns out it was probably something left behind when she had the c section, the hospital even suggested it may be a piece of the placenta left behind. So she had to be admitted straight away for treatment, we got Ben sorted and off we went to the hospital, worried that it was now starting to go into her blood stream and could quickly poison her blood.

Now im not going to write about all the ins and outs of what happened on here, but to be honest ill give you the general idea.

The antibiotics to be effective have to be taken on time, every eight hours, this did not happen, plus no pain relief was written up for her until the next day. At one stage she was left screaming, shivering in pain for an hour, before they would give her anything. She was regularly interrupted every hour by either, nurses, doctors, volunteer's, cleaners and so on, so getting any rest at all was impossible. Finally on Monday after i had already complained to the senior registrar, she was sent home with a coarse of antibiotics and pain killers after we had both insisted she would be better looked after at home than the shambles at the hospital.

As if we both haven't been through enough, this hospital has left something inside her twice now, and we feel like we have been pushed to breaking point.

She has a scan booked in for Monday to see if the mass has come out on its own, but if it hasn't then she will have to be re admitted to have it removed.

I shudder to think what the hell is going to happen next, if i told you everything, you wouldn't believe me.

So all things fishy as you can understand has been put off for a little while until Chrissie is better.

Until next time

Stay happy

Hi everyone

Well... back at the water again today for a little pre baiting, as you know i wasn't able to go last week so it was really important i turned up this week to keep a steady supply of bait going in.

This time i had the good fortune to test a couple of spomb's i was given by Spomb Ltd. I was quite surprised how straight they flew through the air. To be honest it did take a couple of cast's to get used to them, but it wasn't long until i had a rhythm going. I was using the mini spomb's because i do not own a spod rod, and as you know i can break down the presentation on my fishing rods, so it was relatively easy to attach the mini spomb. I did try the larger version for a couple of cast's but it did over load the rod and made a bit of a mess of the casts, so i got back on with the mini versions which were a joy to use.

No spillage, very easy to cast and very easy to retrieve, so a winner all round.

I did see a couple of fish on the spot i haven't baited, this is the one i have made a mental note of and i won't bait this area up, just to keep my options open when i do finally come to fish.

To be honest at the moment i have no idea when the first session will be as i have a few more visits to the hospital planned, so it all depends on what happens there, but i will be going down to bait up on a regular basis.

I think when your planning a hit like this, its important to get to your venue as much as possible, even if you are not fishing, just to see what is happening and to keep in touch with the water.

Just one more note

I don't know what it is with me lately but now the baitrunner has packed up on one of my reels today, which was really annoying, it seems like everything i touch is just falling apart in my very hands, so much so im starting to feel a little cursed. Anyway parts ordered to the pricey sum of £4.50, delivered to your door will sort the problem out.

Well that's it for now folks

Until next time, be lucky :D

Right Chaps

Next Instalment

The past week has been quite a productive one really, Chrissie and Ben have had the all clear and been discharged from hospital. My parts came for my broken reel, which was easily repaired within five minutes, and i might have someone sponsoring me bait for this challenge and im meeting up with a couple of you this Saturday for a little social. All in all a good week in my book.

Anyway back to the challenge, once again i was on the banks, yet again firing in more bait, the spomb has come in really handy. It must be over twenty kilo's worth now and my confidence is gaining with every trip i make. I did toy with the idea of bringing forward the dates for the challenge but after talking to Chrissie, who said it wouldn't be fare to bring it forward, i will be sticking with the original dates. I was just worried about catching a lot of the fish before the start dates and then spoiling next years fishing. Just last minute jitters that's all. I will be starting to fish the water in a couple of weeks, and every time im there baiting i can't wait to get on there fishing. Anyway another couple of kilo's piled in, no fish seen, i have narrowed the area's down to two now, there's still one area i have seen fish but haven't baited. Ill decide what to do with this area closer to the time.

My initial thoughts were to fish this spot as if i hadn't seen the water before and just do what im comfortable with.

Fishmeal pellets and boilies, and fish with pva sticks, its worked on every water i have been to now, so it would be silly not to try this method out. If i do start getting problems with the crayfish on that spot then ill ditch that approach.

The only change i have made recently is regarding the bait, the missus can't stand the smell of garlic, so i have done away with that flavour. I have to say i am getting sick of the kitchen stinking like a tramps sock myself.

The Recipe

Soak half a kilo of Chick Peas, with boiled water and two table spoons of Chilli Powder for 18 hours, bring to the boiled and simmer for twenty minutes, empty the water and apply a liberal coating of Marmite while the pea's are still warm. Then mix in a kilo of Hempseed and half a kilo of sweetcorn.

That's it, simple.

For the stick mix i just add either oats or bread crumb and crush the lot up.

On a lighter note, i am getting bored of writing about baiting up and i can't wait to be writing about actually fishing, so i apologise to anyone who is getting sick of hearing about pre baiting, i promise i will be on the bank soon and writing about that instead.

That's it for now

Good luck with your endeavour's everyone :D

Little Update

I didn't go down last Friday to bait up, i had things to do at home, that took all weekend. But ill be down this Friday in preparation for my first session on Sunday.

I must admit to getting a little excited at the prospect of wetting a line, finally. Come rain or shine i will be gracing the banks early Sunday morning in hope for a carp or two and maybe even a pike.

Iv'e been very busy so far this week with tying rigs, working out stick mixes, and generally getting the gear ready, it can't come soon enough :D

Hopefully this time next week ill be writing the next blog with some good news, ill leave it in the hands of the carp gods now and see what happens.

Until then

Have a good one, where ever your fishing, bye for now :)

Well im sitting here in front of this screen, at silly o'clock, listening to the gentle pitter patter of rain against my patio doors, oh what joy it really is to live in England sometimes. Still, im going to brave the weather today and see what happens, rods baited, sticks made and a stiff coffee to warm the inner fisherman. Wish me luck :shock:

The weather driving over to the pool was quite bad and i didn't fill me full of excitement to be honest. I was expecting to set up in the rain, fish in the rain and pack up in the rain, and get home like a drowned rat.

The rain did ease and finally stopped when i arrived in the car park, so i ceased the moment, thinking it would start up again, and promptly got the brolly set up ready for the day ahead.

I knew stoogi would be arriving in about half an hour, so the least i could do was get base camp set up.

I had the brolly done and most of my gear in the swim and i saw two head lights pulling on to the car park, so i took a brisk walk down to stoogi, grabbed the rest of my gear and help out with his.

About an hour later we were set and ready to go, and the light was just starting to get a little better.

I had one in the margin swim i had been baiting, one in the baited area at around 50 yards out and one to where i had seen fish on a regular basis topping out.

Stoogi got his two rods set up, and we sat down for the mornings first of many coffee's.

I have to admit the rain felt cold earlier that morning and the conditions felt cold now, here on the bank.

We sat and waited, chatted our normal chat, set the world to rights and had a laugh as we always do.

I can't remember the exact time but stoogi got a funny take on his left hand rod, very little indication but the fish seemed to take a lot of line.

The fish swam right across my middle rod, so i brought that in and i wound in my margin rod.

The fight was a little confusing at first until we saw what it was. The fish seemed to come in belly up and it wasn't until we saw the long profile of the body and the fins that we realised what he had. A Sturgeon, and a Sturgeon that was in trouble, it had 3 to 4 lines wrapped round, one with a rig still attached.

It had obviously been trailing the line that had gotten caught up with stoogi's rig.

We got the fish in, it was in a bit of a mess, damage to two of its fins, mainline cuts around the body where it had been caught up before and struggled to get free.

We unwrapped the fish and treated all of the cuts and grazes and released it back. I would of taken a picture but the poor fish had been through enough, it swam off strongly, so we weren't overly concerned for its welfare.

The day passed fish less, i did have a little take, which really i should of struck, but it was one of those finicky bites.

Nevertheless the rain held off and we were just happy to be fishing.

Welder came down to see us about midday, so that was another excuse to have a good old chin wag and a laugh.

Still no fish by 3 o'clock and the weather looked like it was going to turn bad again, so we decided to pack up before the rain hit us once again.

I do enjoy fishing with friends and meeting new friends, a good enjoyable day for me, even though i remain fish less.

I did attract the attention of a Coot in my margin spot, and if i were fishing for Coots, i would of had a red letter day, the same Coot, just in different photo angle's, :wink:

And the crayfish didn't seem to bother us like i thought they would so that was a bonus.

Come to think about tactics i might revert back to my old solid pva bag tactic, as there was a little weed wrapped round the hooks when i reeled them back in, hmmmm some thinking to do!

With the benefit of hindsight i think the cold rain and the cold conditions had just switched the fish off, we can all guess as to why the fish aren't biting but ill be there in two weeks trying my hand again.

Until next time, happy angling

Latest Session 9/12/12

Well what can i say apart from another blank session, to be honest i had been up all the night before with pains in my groin, so when i arrived at the pool i wasn't up for a heavy long walk and i didn't want to pull anything out while i was fishing, so i just opted for the nearest, easiest swim to set up in. The day passed slowly without even a hint of a bite. There was a south westerly breeze blowing across the lake and all of the birds seemed to be holding up in the north east corner of the lake.

Right behind the north east corner is a steep bank of around 40 to 50 feet, covered in tree's, its a fishable bank, but it does take i bit of work to get to with all of your gear.

However it did occur to me this is where the fish would be holding up too, as they would be sheltered from any cold north easterly winds blowing in, plus like i said before this would be the corner that will receive the slightly warmer south westerly winds.

There seemed to be a fare bit of slack water over in this corner, and looks prime for a fish or two. But as i have said it is a bit of a trek to get to with all of your gear, so this week has been mostly spent stripping down all of my gear to the bare minimum. Just essential items needed, which should make the journey a little easier.

I knew the whole time i was sitting there on Sunday that this is where i should of been, call it lazy angling but i was just to tired to pack up all of the gear again and move.

Maybe next time i will be in the right area at the right time, i just think a bit more effort will reward me with a bit more luck.

Until next time, good luck everyone :)

Well chaps, not long before the charity fishing starts next year. Just one more session on the 23rd of this month and that's it. I have to admit to being a little nervous at the prospect of catching fish for money, and i really hope it all goes ok. Thank you to you all for your support over the past few months, i also hope to be fishing with a few of you next year along the way. I will continue with this blog to let you know how it goes.

To anyone who is still interested in sponsoring me for next year, just contact me on here.

Thanks everyone

Catching For Cash

Well the first session starts on Sunday the 6th of January, i can't believe how quickly it has come round to be honest, so much has happened recently as many of you know.

While i am writing this i thought i would just take the opportunity for one final plea to anyone who hasn't sponsored the idea yet.

The idea is basically to catch up to twenty fish over 15lb during the course of the next nine months until the last day of the Merrington Social.

It is £1 per fish, some of the members have indeed taken it further by sponsoring any fish over 30lb's = £5 and any fish over 40lb's = £100, but it is certainly not expected by all.

All of the proceeds are going to a charity called Sands, you can see all of the details on the Merrington Social thread.

Thank you every body who have already sponsored this idea.

I will endeavour to raise as much money as i can over the time period i have got.

The money will go to help others who have suffered the same loss as i have and will also be going into research to try and stop this happening, through Sands.

So i am going to dedicate all of my efforts to my son Matthew who was born sleeping on the 26th July 2011.

matthewjennings_zps584c32aa.jpg

I will be continuing with the blog, just the same, so please keep looking for any updates.

If you do want to sponsor me then just pm me and your name will go down with the rest of the sponsor's on the Merrington Charity Thread.

Thank you for looking

Gary

Mate put me down for double the money...40£ instead of £20 for 20 fish over 15 :wink: and all the best for the start of your challenge

p.s might of sorted a new venue to try along the way i'ts a syndicate but the guys agreed to let me fish per day or per 24 hours not an easy water but there are twenties in there :wink:

Thanks fella

The water sounds a good one :D

Mate put me down for double the money...40£ instead of £20 for 20 fish over 15 :wink: and all the best for the start of your challenge

p.s might of sorted a new venue to try along the way i'ts a syndicate but the guys agreed to let me fish per day or per 24 hours not an easy water but there are twenties in there :wink:

Thanks fella

It's a nice lake mate... gravel pit plenty of features to go at could be well worth a look doesn't get over fished either 8)

Thanks fella

It's a nice lake mate... gravel pit plenty of features to go at could be well worth a look doesn't get over fished either 8)

pm mate :wink: