Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
carpdawe

Word is Sports Direct are ...........

Buying up tackle shops around the country, Mr Mike Ashley's at it again entering a new market now my question to the forum users

Is sports direct a good thing for the industry?

He has already bought dragon carp direct and started to make his own stuff with his Dunlop branded products

What's next £4.99 rod pods, £1 reels I know some of the stuff they will make will be value for money but will a newbie buy it and then be disappointed when it breaks or will it get bought and left on the banks when it breaks

Whats your thoughts good or bad?

I might take a look at what they have to offer. If they are selling luggage thats great for carping newbies. I recently went into the new store the range which is normally a home were store but was surprised that they had a whole isle for fishing. boilies, fake corn, pods, rods, reels, alarms you name it they had it. yeah it's not quality stuff but i picked up a few things. bought some cotswold imitation pop up white corn (white chocolate flavour) and it my little weapon at my local.

A lot of these big companies are realising where there is a gap in the market and money to be made. great for them but what about our local tackle shops ? I mean i will always use my local tackle shop for quality stuff that you cant get in the likes of these stores but for newcomers they will only look at the price in some cases.

i will have a look around just to be nosey but i wont be buying anything from there for a few reasons. 1) they are gonna make local tackle shops struggle and the owner of one of the shops near me is a close friend so i will take my business to him. 2) They sell dragon carp stuff( now called urban carp since dragon carp has got such a bad name) and there stuff is cheap and tacky and everything i have seen of there products either fall apart quickly or are not made correctly.

Not sure if this is a good thing for angling at all. If they’re selling name brands like Diawa, Shimano and Fox at discounted prices that could be the final nail in the coffin of the remaining local tackle shops. If they’re selling cheap Chinese imitations then it won’t even be worth looking at.

it is dragon carp that they have taken over. was in last weeks anglers mail

Not exactly to quality gear then.

Amen brother :lol:

And some of Dragon Carp/Ultimate/Vision gear is good stuff.

£30 for a top quality Centre Pin, £10 for some of the top rated match rods and reels. A number of handy little bits that make life easier.

The Range and Go Outdoors are also selling angling bits and pieces.

Now while I decry putting local tackle shops out of business, some areas have had no tackle shops for years because mail order and the internet has already closed them down.

I'd save a fortune shopping at Sports Direct. I went to spend a tenner at my local tackle shop today & came out £136 poorer.
so what did you buy mate ? :lol: I do the same all to often according to Kate :lol:

Fox supa brolly. Trouble is, he's moving to a bigger place soon. More stock, more deals, lighter wallet :roll:

I'd save a fortune shopping at Sports Direct. I went to spend a tenner at my local tackle shop today & came out £136 poorer.
so what did you buy mate ? :lol: I do the same all to often according to Kate :lol:

Fox supa brolly. Trouble is, he's moving to a bigger place soon. More stock, more deals, lighter wallet :roll:

:lol:

Just think, you paid for that move :lol::lol:

Yes they bought the company dragon carp who are based in chesterfield derbyshire, I drove past the other day and saw there wagons backed up to the loading bay.

He owns loads of brands Like dunlop, karrimor and loads of others which will all be making their way into the carp world soon....

Guest keenook
Yes they bought the company dragon carp who are based in chesterfield derbyshire, I drove past the other day and saw there wagons backed up to the loading bay.

He owns loads of brands Like dunlop, karrimor and loads of others which will all be making their way into the carp world soon....

Thank Buddha, a real company for Anglers!

Nuff said.