Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
welder

Going Old Skool

I used to use the Method on Ardleigh reservoir, as Jez says, a lot cheaper than PVA.

It is definitely not just a small fish technique as most of the fish I had were well into or above double figures.

I may not have caught every trip, but on Ardleigh, every fish is a result.

Vitalin mixed with particles and/or a tin of salmon or tuna cat food.

I did also spod out plenty of groundbait on some of my trips, and then fish over the top, but fishing the groundbait around a plain ordinary 3oz pear running lead worked for both the bream and the carp.

I used the method at the Cromwell social last year on the Friday afternoon mate, Caught nowt :roll: ...... To be fair though, all 3 of the takes that i had over the weekend where from the channel and thats not where i was using the feeder, so im pretty sure it was my location that was at fault not the method itself.

I often use it on day sessions and caught with it too, although I have to be honest Ive never caught anything big on it. Saying that compared to most of you lads I havent caught anything big full stop :lol: .

The original meaty marine in a tin was by dynamite. Talking to one of their reps a few years back in was discontinued because the cost of some of the ingrediants went through the roof.

Jez, you and Jamie are, as usual, quite right. Of course Dynamite baits made the Meaty Marine mix in them tins. A Senior Moment occurred. :shock::lol:

My quick Google revealed that they're still making a mix called Meaty Marine, intended for use on the method, but it's now in bags like normal groundbait usually is. I'll give it a try, see how close it is to what used to be a cracking product.

Ian

I have to say, the next time im down the river i was thinking of using the method again,

Gary, I had very good results using the method on the River Alne, near Alcester. The slower glides gave me some nice fish...and my first ever barbel.

Ian

Any photos of the barbel Ian?

Just the one, mate. It's in a frame on the window sill beside me! One of the guys I was fishing with took it and had it enlarged and framed as a Birthday present for me.

Ian

The original meaty marine in a tin was by dynamite. Talking to one of their reps a few years back in was discontinued because the cost of some of the ingrediants went through the roof.

Jez, you and Jamie are, as usual, quite right. Of course Dynamite baits made the Meaty Marine mix in them tins. A Senior Moment occurred. :shock::lol:

My quick Google revealed that they're still making a mix called Meaty Marine, intended for use on the method, but it's now in bags like normal groundbait usually is. I'll give it a try, see how close it is to what used to be a cracking product.

Ian

The meaty marine boilies used to be a good bait until they changed the mix, completely different boilie absolute rubbish! Dont think they make them at all any more!

Liam, thanks for that. My brief Google did reveal the Meaty Marine boilies. I believe that they're still available. Fortunately I hadn't intended using them.

Jez tells us why the manufacturers discontinued the method mix....cost of ingredients. Same with the boilies, maybe? Made DOWN to a price rather than UP to a standard?

It's all about money these days.

Ian

Liam, thanks for that. My brief Google did reveal the Meaty Marine boilies. I believe that they're still available. Fortunately I hadn't intended using them.

Jez tells us why the manufacturers discontinued the method mix....cost of ingredients. Same with the boilies, maybe? Made DOWN to a price rather than UP to a standard?

It's all about money these days.

Ian

Unfortunately Dynamite had to make to a price. As far as I know, before Shimano bought them out they were very close to going bankrupt. :shock::!:

when you guys say you use the method using vitalin and particle is this a frame feeder that you use as opposed to a flat method feeder which is what i have been using. whats made me ask is that i couldnt see how vitalin would stick in my little flat feeder, confused anyone care to explain it lol

Pete vitalin would stick to owt :shock::lol:

I use the frame feeders for it and ground bait for the flat ones but I'm pretty sure you could get vitalin on a flat method feeder :wink:

And on a plain straight ordinary coated plain lead

when you guys say you use the method using vitalin and particle is this a frame feeder that you use as opposed to a flat method feeder which is what i have been using. whats made me ask is that i couldnt see how vitalin would stick in my little flat feeder, confused anyone care to explain it lol

I use Anchor or Drennan method feeders. Both come in various sizes & are well made.

ok so as well as the feeders you have mentioned it will also stick around the lead is that what your saying nick?

Yes!

Including your hands, and just about everything else around as well :shock:

My Spod rod and reel have been known to be covered in the stuff :roll:

So make sure you have a tub of water and cloth around after handling it :wink:

nick, how do you prepare your vitalin mix for the method and what would you say is the optimum hook legnth i have googled it but there are so many different ideas cheers

Pete

I used to blend my vitalin up, add hempseed, castors and chopped boilies, dampen the lot, squeeze around the method tightly, and leave for 5 minutes, when i was making the balls up for loose feed, i would just leave the balls for half an hour in the sun the dry out slightly, you'll find they will get a skin which helps hold them together, they can be catapult a long way, and as soon as they land on the lake bed they start to break down into a little pile :D

Make them the night before and freeze them .....they'll catty miles then ..... :wink:

I use to use one 3" hooklink and tuck it into the ball and one 8-12" hooklink left outside the ball which was seen as a "safe" bait .....

Corn,pellet or broken boilie was hookbait choice ..... The same that was in my mix :wink:

Just re-read that and it sounds like I used two rigs on one rod :oops:

One rod was fished with the 3" the other an 8/12"

cheers guys im going to give it a try on monday at the moment all my carping has been just using leads on a safe clip then i just vary my hookbait presentation and ive got all that sussed i just wasnt sure how to go about fishing the method although i use a small flat method on an avon rod and i suppose its the same but just on a bit bigger scale. have found somewhere local to get the vitalin as that was another thing stopping me so come monday i will now have another feather in my bow cheers lads

Vitalin really is fool proof Pete :wink:

I used boiling water and give it a good soak mix it all up and leave for 15-20 mins :wink:

Make up a ball to see if its stiff enough and when your happy add your particles etc

It can be made on the bank with lake water it just takes a bit longer to set ....

You can build houses with the stuff :shock::wink::lol: