Hi all,

I've just been looking through the Nutrabaits recipe guide, supplied with all bags of basemixes. I'm surprised at the low levels of sweetners used in comparison to the recommended levels of flavourings.

Many of their recommendations include no sweetners at all. Do you think the quality of flavours has improved, whereby they aren't really required any more?

I'm soon to roll some Trigga Ice, with Pinapple/N-Butyric Acid for the colder months. Several of Nutrabaits recipes which include these attractors have no sweetners listed at all. Yet to my way of thinking the Pineapple/N-Butyric Acid is quite a potent attractor package.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

AndyC

Guest keenook

Hello Andy, if the flavours are natural, you will not need sweetner.

Sweetner was used to counter the bitter signals from Synthetics.

A level of around 4:1 ie 25% sweetner to 75% Flavour.

But I just use naturals.

I do believe that a lot of the Nutrabaits flavours are Nature Identical, and are on a Glycerol base, which is a fairly sweet base.

I don't think I've ever included a "direct" concentrated liquid sweetener in any bait I've made up, although I did go through a stage of adding a sweet additive from the Super Sweet Range, Creamy Super Sweet with my Cinnamon and Peach flavoured recipe as I felt that it tasted better and was more natural

I'm not that keen on liquid sweeteners; I know that carp don't taste as we do, but I don't like the taste of Sacharrin or other concentrated sweeteners, and can tell the difference in coffee from sugar, and even low or no sugar drinks.

The thing is a bit like Nick says we have used sweetners in bait to counteract bitterness etc but that is a totally human view on things and taste. In the past i have included sweetners of different types more on the basis that my baits seemed to work better with them included but i belive that was more to do with the attraction they give out and nothing to do with counter acting bitterness in flavours etc. Then again i might be totally wrong lol.

The thing is a bit like Nick says we have used sweetners in bait to counteract bitterness etc but that is a totally human view on things and taste. In the past i have included sweetners of different types more on the basis that my baits seemed to work better with them included but i belive that was more to do with the attraction they give out and nothing to do with counter acting bitterness in flavours etc. Then again i might be totally wrong lol.

Jez,

You're running parallel on my thoughts as well, many sweeteners are on a sacharrin base, which I think is a sodium concentrate. So the sodium providing attraction to the carp, but to my taste buds, making it even more bitter.

• 4 weeks later...

The level of sweetener (if any at all) should be governed by the type and make up of the flavours or ingredients used in a bait. The base or carrier of a flavour can vary greatly from sweet glycerol type bases to more acidic and harsher ethyl alcohol type bases. If you are following Nutrabaits recipes I would go along with their recommendations as they will match sweetness levels to the flavour bases.

Liquid molasses can be added to most baits at 20 ml per 500g for a more "forgiving" natural sweetener.

Some base mix ingredients are so sweet they remove the need for extra sweeteners, such as: nectarblend, meggablend sweet, etc.

If in doubt stay away from artificial sweeteners and stick to molasses or natural Talin at low levels.