Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
jemsue5

Jez and his winter fishing

Right i think i will keep a little note of how my winter goes. Now i do fish for various species so it wont be all carp but a bit of a variety. Just about to leave for a few hours on the Mighty Severn after a big river Perch but i might throw a pike rod out as well. Will post on here later with how i get on.

Jez

Well yesterday was a bit of an anti climax. A severe frost killed it stone dead and all i managed was one perch about a pound and a missed bite. Didn't chuck a pike rod out as the swim was a bit tight for two rods. Milder weather this week so i will try again on Friday.

Sorry to hear that mate. The weather was ridiculous yesterday though. I was out at day break walking the dog and it was baltic, cat ice everywhere.

Pound perch out the severn aint a bad fish if you were local!
Yes mate local, loads of big perch to be had or so im told. Target is a 4lber off our local waters.

I'v had some good days on the river for the perch my biggest 3lb 7oz theres got to be few 4lbers about. I ain't fished it for the perch for a while, which is a bit mad as its like 2mins drive from mine.

Pound perch out the severn aint a bad fish if you were local!
Yes mate local, loads of big perch to be had or so im told. Target is a 4lber off our local waters.

I'v had some good days on the river for the perch my biggest 3lb 7oz theres got to be few 4lbers about. I ain't fished it for the perch for a while, which is a bit mad as its like 2mins drive from mine.

You and me both no jez a 3lb perch is a very rare fish locally, 4lb rare everyware. almost non existant locally the balenceing lake probs best perch water id say for bigguns. These people who catch 4lb perch in telford are the same people who think that most Telford waters have a 30lb carp in when in reality you could count on one hand the 30ties in telford and have couple of fingers spare.

To be fair id say that perch are one of the most over estimated fish when it comes to size. Unless you regularly catch big perch a two pounder looks massive ive seen so many people catch half pounders and estimate it to be pound and half.

Why did you doubt your mate did he not have pics?

To be fair id say that perch are one of the most over estimated fish when it comes to size. Unless you regularly catch big perch a two pounder looks massive ive seen so many people catch half pounders and estimate it to be pound and half.

That's it mate i didn't believe him because i never saw any pics, i can't remember if he said he took any or he had an excuse for not taking any. He also said there were these two blokes there when he caught it and one day i was fishing and overheard somone talking about a lad he saw catch a 4lb perch from that pool. I went over and asked him about it and his story matched my mates, he described what the lad looked like and it was defo my mate lol.

When i saw that big perch at first i thought it was a small carp and thought nothing of it. I caught a roach and the fish just turned and went straight for the roach this was when i realised it was a massive perch, but it wouldn't take it just follow it with its mouth wide open. It's mouth was huge it could of easly took a fish twice the size of that roach, i did try a smaller fish but no luck and it wouldn't take maggots. I'd say it looked well over 4lb but I'l never know.

That's it mate i didn't believe him because i never saw any pics, i can't remember if he said he took any or he had an excuse for not taking any. He also said there were these two blokes there when he caught it and one day i was fishing and overheard somone talking about a lad he saw catch a 4lb perch from that pool. I went over and asked him about it and his story matched my mates, he described what the lad looked like and it was defo my mate lol.

When i saw that big perch at first i thought it was a small carp and thought nothing of it. I caught a roach and the fish just turned and went straight for the roach this was when i realised it was a massive perch, but it wouldn't take it just follow it with its mouth wide open. It's mouth was huge it could of easly took a fish twice the size of that roach, i did try a smaller fish but no luck and it wouldn't take maggots. I'd say it looked well over 4lb but I'l never know.

That sounds intresting. The biggest perch ive caught around here is just over 2lb from blue on a live bait when i was catfishing! Never caught real biggun would like to though may have serious go for them after crimbo

I've had a few good perch locally with a few 3s and loads of 2s. Waters which have done big ones around here are Trench, Flash, Apley, Duncans pools at wenlock. I quite fancy horsehay to do a decent one. The biggest i've ever caught although i never weighed them as no scales on me were from the Blue pool years ago. Measured them against the rod handle and looking at some 3s ive had since i would say they were both over 4lb.

Just for you Liam

IMG_0203.jpg

Nice fish mate ive heard a few people mention apley, theres meant to be plenty of 2s in there! Hinkhay top pool is sopposed to have some gooduns aswel! Wares that fish in the pic from dont reckonise back ground is it the place you fished last year! The round pool at bayliss meant to have couple of real guduns aswel!

Id be happy with a 3lber thats my target for jan i think!

My mate put some old fishing pics up on fb yesterday and one was a 4+ perch from the severn. I Wasn't there when he caught it but i do remember him telling me a while back, it made me think of this thread lol. He had it by the robin hood about four or five years ago on a live bait, if i get time il post on here thats if anyones interested?

Jack