Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
kriskarp

STEALTH!

STEALTH!

I for one have been very pleased to see the adopted fashion for all things camo or at least green. No more larey white or dayglo shirts to spook wary carp, but why is it that some devotees seem to think that a camo suit embues the wearer with some kind of superhero cloak?

Let me explain the reason for my ire. Last week I went to a local club lake for a shortish day session. As it was midweek I was in no hurry to arrive expecting the place to be quiet as usual. To my horror there were 6 anglers on the small pool, two lots of doubled-up and two singles. The most recent arrival before me was just setting his rods up, he too bemoaned the excess of anglers and didn’t hold out much hope for our chances because of “the number of lines in the water”. I should have moved on to another water really but as I was late already decided to tuck myself away in a corner.

The “lines in the water” water chappie , I’ll call him Mr Lines, was there for the night. The forecast was cold but no wind, possibly foggy. I set up some 80 yards away got my rods out sat back and was enjoying the day. Mr Lines had finished battering in his bank sticks almost an hour ago. Suddenly there was more battering, for more than 20 minutes (timed) Mr Lines battered in his bivvy pegs in readiness for the night ahead. I tried to convince myself that he was driving any fish towards me. One of the single anglers packed up and left shortly after.

I convinced myself that time would heal and as darkness approached and fell the fish would begin to show and feed. Sure enough a little after dark the odd fish boshed out in distant parts of the lake and things were looking better. After one fish splashed not far from me I got up from my chair to try to see exactly where it was from the high bank behind me. I couldn’t see! Mr Lines had fired the modern electric equivalent of a Tilley lamp illuminating the inside of his bivvy and surrounding bank and beyond. While Mr Lines wandered round with a very bright headlamp shining it into the water and on the bank while he recast. Across the water from Mr Lines the 4 remaining anglers also had headlamps on and were parading up and down and round and round like a group of demented coal miners on a country walk.

It was 2 hours after dark and even without a moon it was easy to see ones way around. There was much checking and testing of buzzers etc around the lake. Yet nobody was catching I can’t imagine why…

I went home.

Sorry to hear that mate. Theres a lot of noddys around...but there again...we all had to learn somewhere.

Its just a shame when someone is learning the ropes a few pegs over.

It is really frustrating when this happens. To be fair I usually have a lake to myself when I fish and probably have more trouble with noisy sheep than anglers, but when you but so much effort into your prep and stealth anything that spoils that is very irritating.

I feel your pain Kris. Think we've all been there. The hammering in of bivvy pegs is one of my personal pet hates. Don't they realise that bivvy pegs have a thread on them for a reason?

i couldn't get my pegs in at sandhurst without a mallet also bluebell lakes orchid lakes willesley lakes cudmore and linear so always carry my mallet rather make a bit of noise at start of session than lose my bivvy because its not pegged in properly in the middle of a session,its unavoidable sometimes

I feel your pain Kris. Think we've all been there. The hammering in of bivvy pegs is one of my personal pet hates. Don't they realise that bivvy pegs have a thread on them for a reason?

i couldn't get my pegs in at sandhurst without a mallet also bluebell lakes orchid lakes willesley lakes cudmore and linear so always carry my mallet rather make a bit of noise at start of session than lose my bivvy because its not pegged in properly in the middle of a session,its unavoidable sometimes

I have never fished anywhere where I couldn't get my pegs in eventually, without resorting to a mallet. Maybe you need to get down the gym. :lol::wink:

I come from the Monty Python school of humour, amongst others. It was written with a humerous slant to compensate for the angst.

What's all this nonsense about needing pegs driven in because of the imminent arrival of Frankenstorm Sandy or some other. People should realise that once inside the bivvy with all your illumination equipment and TV that a hurricane would barely lift your bivvy especially with your lard bottom inside.

I was half expecting a visit from the building inspector to ask to see Mr Lines planning permission. And for those supporters of Mr Lines and the Mid-Kent Colliery Angling Club, this is why clubs have rules about noise and lights because it is generally unacceptable. :P

Also if you are afraid of the dark why go night fishing? Doh!

Tight lines

Edited for swearing nw

cant say ive ever pegged anything down. my old brolly has the 2 storm poles pushed in the ground and thats it. and like you say, those with a "house" and sewn in ground sheet,when your inside with all your mountains of gear it aint going anywhere nomatter how strong the wind!

I've never had to use a mallet to put a bivvy peg in, but I do make sure that I get screw threaded "T-pegs". I may have to use my foot or a bit pf pressure to get them in the last little bit, but NOT a mallet. I hate the banging of the darn things.

I have had pegs pulled up by a very strong wind on the Outlaw Hurricane, usually when I haven't been careful enough to put the bivvy up, avoiding it facing into the wind.

With the EasyDome, if a wind could move that with all the gear and me inside then it must be a proper tornado!

I had a mate who is just getting into carp fishing ask me the other day what lights I had with me, as for night fishing on the beach he has always used a Hurricane lamp, he was very surprised when I said I only ever took a small torch and a headlight :!:

edited for typo

Guest keenook
I've never had to use a mallet to put a bivvy peg in, but I do make sure that I get screw threaded "T-pegs". I may have to use my foot or a bit pf pressure to get them in the last little bit, but NOT a mallet. I hate the banging of the darn things.

Thanks' Nick, another idea! :wink: