Rod License? Why Bother?

louis84

Not only do we have to buy a 4 rod license when most of us use 3, but when the hell do they ever get checked as well?

ive been fishing for a while (no-where near as long as some of u :wink: ) and i have never been asked to see my license in the 3 years or whatever it is. And what also gets up my nose for some reason is the fact that any old clown can 'gain' a rod license. does that instantly make them a safe angler? do they instantly have the experience and know how of how to look after our carp and treat them with respect without damaging them? no it doesn't.

either there should be a quick test or 'exam' in fish/carp care, before u purchase a license, or you should have to produce ur license in order to purchase tackle rods, lake tickets etc.

i didnt even have a license during my first year or so of fishing simply because no-one told me i needed one, i wish now that i still didnt know i need one and i would probably save myself 50 bob a year without ever being hassled.

END

well, maybe save 50 quid, maybe lose thousands, depends on if you get caught really, but you need a rod license man, i know what ur saying and im totally with you on the "we should be able to get a 3 rod license" thing. but the day will come when you will encounter an EA bloke who will ask u for ur license and proceed to fine you huge amounts of money, probly more than what u spent on fishing so far! Alot of places also wanna see ur lisence before you fish, i would if i had a fishery, so get out and by a lisence you tight so and so :wink: its worth it in the long run mate ! tight lines :shock:

1. Its the law

Would you run around with no tax on a car? Rob a bank? Its all against the law as members of society we can not pick and chose which laws we obay.

2. What Price Peace Of Mind?

That snap of a twig whilst your tucked up in your bivvy, is THAT the bailiff? That guy coming towards you with a note pad in his hand, is he writtting a fine out?

3. Every one else pays (almost).

why should someone fish for free of the back of us honest anglers?

Not only that but theres a hefty old fine for not having a licence and you can have all fishing related gear confiscated. So bye bye expensive bivvy, expensive rods etc etc.

At the en of the day it may be a pain but £50 a year (less then a fiver a month) is a small price to pay to fish leagaly, safe and protect this great sport/hobby

NitroNick

Personally, I think clubs should ask to see your rod licence before they give you a ticket to fish. It bugs me when some people don't buy at least one licence. Although I do purchase 2 for when I can use 3 rods, I don't moan at those who risk getting caught with 3 rods and one licence. I think we are being robbed by the EA when we have to buy 2 licences for 4 rods when most of us can only use 3.

1. Its the law

Would you run around with no tax on a car? Rob a bank? Its all against the law as members of society we can not pick and chose which laws we obay.

NitroNick

Thats the only answer needed.

yes i know its the law and i do have a rod license and always will have one. im just miffed by the fact that i pay 50 squids for a piece of paper that sits in my wallet doing nothing and has never had to prove anything. i just wish there were more spot checks. at least i'd think "wow thank god i payed out for this"

especially for the people who DON'T own a rod license for this exact reason-they never get checked.

The only reason i wrote this thread was because i just lost a good 50 quid this morning, buuying 2. and when ur a student at this time of year, giving 50 quid away for something that is never checked is no joke! :wink::lol:

tight lines

The problem is, there is loads of people out there who dont buy a license. If all these people were found out, then the cost of a rod license wouldnt need to be as high, as the moneys they recieve from prosecution would cover the costs.

There needs to be more EA guys coming around, or give fishery baliffs the authority to charge people who break the law.

On the subject of licence checks, I didn't have mine checked once in about 20 years but I've been checked 5 times in the last 2 years.

Apart from the moral issues raised earlier there is now a much greater chance of being caught - it's just not worth the risk.