Etiquette, Whats that mate something to do with horses?

Well was up at 5 this morning on the pool for 6 still pitch black, hey ho looks like i got the whole pool to myself.....not, first light reveals 4 bivvys all opposite me. so i didnt know where there lines wher and thought it rude to go and wake them upso i went 1 rod to the left mid rod 1/3 of the way out and right rod off to the right. 11 o clock before any of them opened up their bivvys. right hand rod screams off straight into a snag, damn oh well at least they are biting, fresh bait new pva bag and back on the spot, 15 mins 2 divs turn up ask me where my lines are and then go to the next but one peg where he sureley knows he would have to cast over me. i politley had a little word with them, his reply.... but i like this peg mate and you hooked one here, i was gobsmacked and walked away shaking my head and realed it in, rebated, re bagged and went just to the right of my middle rod, sad down with a steaming cup of tea and a fag... thats me, can chill now and wait for my bite. But oh no the numpty on the right of me decides to cast to the ebro, straight across my 2 lines, now im getting a bit weed off steam coming out my collar and ears as hurl some right abuse at the pair of them.he reels in i reel mine in and again i go and explain where im fishing. lines back out and i watch him to make sure he doesnt do it again, good lad hes sorted it and i sit back, next thing i know lots of little splashes above my bait and again, and again. hes now decided to fire mixer out all over my lines and a 100 seagulls turn up dive bombing the water and spooking everything. off i go again for a word, Mate do you know what etiquette is, reply... yeah.. its something to do with race horses...i knew i wasnt going to win and decided to call it a day 2 rods in and just stripping them down and the left rod screams off straight into him was a good clean strike and a good battle old div brain and his idiot friend are behind me "how did you catch that mate" me.. " with no ... thanks to you " you live and learn

Etiquette is one of those topics that come up a bit under various guises, usually a (for want of a better word), moan at how some anglers behave on the bank, casting over, baiting up, lines all over the place where someone has been seen catching from, yet very little is written about etiquette and on the bank 'behaviour' in any magazine.

Lets face it, we all go to catch fish, and if someone spots a fish then they will likely get as close as they can to the area. The problem comes when they think its acceptable to bait up to near where we caught, or in their getting so close to where we are fishing with their casting.

I don't mind if someone sets up in the next swim, but when they spod for England and in the process scare everything away from where I have been fishing I do tend to get p'd off. I've left a water when someone did that to me, although I had found out he was basically watching everything I was doing, fishing over my spots after he had seen me catch and was doing no legwork himself to find the fish or even any pre-baiting, just going on other peoples results. Even more amusing was this 'gentleman' claimed to be a Bait tester for an Essex bait company, yet wasn't putting anything in other than hookbaits over other peoples bait.

As a child fisherman you soon learn what is acceptable or not from fishing with older anglers, yet most anglers now aren't catered for fewer fathers take their children fishing, fewer clubs, and almost every youngster now moves straight into carp fishing rather than anything else.

Oh well, lets go back to the other thread, about the "Magic of Carp Fishing" and I think it was my last post on that thread that says how I feel.

This is the sort of thing that happens nearly all the time on the day ticket water that is local to me .

And i've decided that its the main reason why i need to find a new lake to target .

Trouble is , i cant drive :(

So unless i win the lottery and learn to drive pretty quick i'm stuffed:cry: :cry:

Edited for swearing NC.

• 10 months later...

To the 2 anglers who showed great disrespect to others on Melton lake this weekend.

Firstly you set up without checking where others were fishing, and your casting came very close to 2 others people who were already fishing. Then on Saturday night, running your bait boat up and down the lake was taking the pee, especially when it appeared that you sent your end tackle out 3 quarters of the way up the lake out past the 2 original anglers you upset, and then towards where a 3rd was fishing.

You are just ignorant and should not be fishing

To the 2 anglers who showed great disrespect to others on Melton lake this weekend.

Firstly you set up without checking where others were fishing, and your casting came very close to 2 others people who were already fishing. Then on Saturday night, running your bait boat up and down the lake was taking the pee, especially when it appeared that you sent your end tackle out 3 quarters of the way up the lake out past the 2 original anglers you upset, and then towards where a 3rd was fishing.

You are just ignorant and should not be fishing

I had heard Melton was a bit naff glad I gave it a swerve

Seems like ticket waters are the worse and the sites ignore it as they have their ticket money, vote with your feet and fish elsewhere

Sadly it is a reflection of todays society....no respect for anyone.

Catch at all costs.

The trouble is there's always a pair or more of them fishing together, so challenging them if you're on your own can lead to trouble (not speaking from experience) because as far as they're concerned you will always be in the wrong for telling them not to cast over / near your lines etc.

Love the title the amount of times I've woken up to someone casting in my spot about 4 pegs away from where i fishing straight in front. Its simple if your in a peg imagine there's someone next door even of there isn't and just use the water infront not 100 yards right or left. Some lakes are to blame slightly as they haven't set up the swims well. Like opposite each other its just asking for trouble

Love the title the amount of times I've woken up to someone casting in my spot about 4 pegs away from where i fishing straight in front. Its simple if your in a peg imagine there's someone next door even of there isn't and just use the water infront not 100 yards right or left. Some lakes are to blame slightly as they haven't set up the swims well. Like opposite each other its just asking for trouble

Sad thing is that my spot was approximately halfway along the lake. The anglers set up right at the left hand end, and decided to bait up and fish directly in front of me.

Now I had chosen my swim for a couple of reasons, one being the island in front, and also a gravel bar that runs pretty much along parallel to it.

The two anglers decided that they would also like to place a bait to the island, which meant that they were casting (or bait boating) baits halfway along it in front of me.

I agree that on many lakes that swims are at fault, but at the same time, on this lake, if they had stuck to an area in front of them, from say the margins to 60metres maybe a bit more, they would have been no trouble.

Oh and not forgetting that the end of the island, was in fact only about 30metres in front of them and slightly to their left :!:

Sorry, I had to do an edit

Popped over to Mousehole fisheries for a day session a while back. One of the swims (can't remember which number now but let's call it number 3) is on a piece of ground that juts out into the lake further than the rest.

Some guy was fishing from it and had set up at right angles and was fishing two rods to the near margins of swims 1 & 2 thereby blocking them off totally.

The lake was really busy and not many vacant swims left, my mate and I stood there waiting for him to apologise and reel in, but he just sat there grinning.

Not wanting to cause a scene we both eventually went and crammed ourselves into the one tiny swim left down in the far corner.

What an absolute tosser

• 2 weeks later...

As an add to this, I spoke to the bailiff at the lake this weekend as I had gone down for another mad trip, knowing a swim I could keep myself to myself with no bothers, no matter who was around.

The bailiff told me that the other angler that they had upset had had a go at them, having gone round to their swims and told them in no uncertain terms that what they were doing was totally ignorant and wrong. Since then these 2 anglers have been permanently banned from the lake, and also that their is now a bait boat ban coming into force due to their actions.

• 6 months later...

It seems that there is still a few problems at Melton. I fished there last Friday with my mate who suffers from PTSD, and I have to fish with. We fished roughly halfway along the back bank. My swim was onto the end of the island, and Col's was the swim to my left (we tossed a coin, he was happy to fish  just in front of him). Mid afternoon, I had an angler in the swim on the easy close to the car park choice decide to cast his marker out right onto of my bait at the end of the island. Yes, the end of the island is accessible from a number of swims, but for goodness sake, check if you can fish it without disturbing other anglers who got there earlier. He then proceeded to cast around with his marker, spod up in front of Col's swim. 

I prefer to fish swims that aren't beaten up, mud or dust bowls, Col is the same. The big swim this other angler chose is a dust bowl, so worn down simply because it is so close to the car park and you can reach the island, BUT only if there is no-one fishing the other swims that are closer to the island on the far bank, which are a longer walk.

This is the sort of thing that happens nearly all the time on the day ticket water that is local to me .

And i've decided that its the main reason why i need to find a new lake to target .

Trouble is , i cant drive :(

So unless i win the lottery and learn to drive pretty quick i'm stuffed:cry: :cry:

Edited for swearing NC.

Hmmm maybe a bit later we can meet up and we go somewhere and catch some fish, As i only southend. I trying to sell my rx8 as it drinks petrol then get a smaller car then can go long distance. :wink:

First time I have seen this thread, glad to see I’m not the only one to have had problems on the bank, the worst for me was just the other week, Two blokes with big dogs trying to hustle me out of my swim, both coked up and smoking weed.
Set up in the swim next to mine but one, I didn't even finish telling him I was fishing the margin in the swim in-between us, under an over hanging tree that he was setting up on the other side of.
He started pacing up and down the bank shouting threats of violence and challenges of a fight to the death by the sound of his drug fuelled drool.

To cut a long story short and I did, I told the man I didn't want to be smelling what they were smoking all day, so best you go up the other end. They pulled up pegs sharpish when they heard that, as they went I was told they will be back to sort me out in the night, yeah right.