Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
mark1966

nightmare with bait purchases

I have had a nightmare with bait purchases recently.

I purchased some white chocolate wafters from my local tackle shop. These are hardly wafters they act more like pop-ups. I needed a fair size shot to sink them. I thought wafters were supposed to be critically balanced therefore the weight of a hook should be enough to sink them, am I correct?

I then purchased some shelf life tutti fruiti boilies from my local tackle shop, only to find on the packet they had expired. So these went into the bin rather than the lake. Should have checked the packaging in the shop, lesson learnt.

I then purchased some more shelf life amber strawberry boilies from a different local tackle shop. These did not have an expiry date on the packet, I checked in the shop this time. But when opened they were hard as nails, there was no way these were safe to put in the lake so again these went into the bin. They were so hard I could not crush them into crumb in my hand. Was I right in chucking these into the bin, or would have been ok for carp? Would you always expect to see an expiry date on shelf life boilies?

bait doesnt have to have a date on the packet as it is not for human consumption, however I know a few companies put dates on now so its getting better. The thing with bait is its going into a lake so it will soften anyway, and I would have just used the hard bait and drilled a hole through first.

wafters will normally sink under the weight of the hook or sink very slowly on there own,

A good shelf life bait will still be soft enough to put a needle through,

my advice to you would be to buy your bait direct from a bait company,

preferably one that rolls bait fresh to order not one that has loads of bait sitting in freezers and on the shelf

There are a few out there.

Bump !

Hope i dont get in trouble for advertising cos i'm not , as such , but in case people out there dont know already , cc moore are doing a special deal on the xxx at the moment . £35 for 5 kilos of both freezer bait AND shelf life in 15 or 18 mm sizes.

Now i've been here in the past moaning about the high prices charged by these top profile bait companies but at THOSE prices i just had to help myself to 25k .

Should last me about 7 years

I've just switched to CC Moore Live system, and I've got to say, I am really pleased with the bait and the service. Only slight criticism is that the boilies seem to be a bit on the soft side. They absolutely need air drying if you're planning to leave them out over night.

You want your baits to be softer and this probably indicates their solubility and therefore ability to release those all important attractors. The Meteor bait they do is the softest but again the most soluble considering its a fishmeal/meatmeal type bait.

A few companies (inc CCMoore) never get slagged off on forums as they are very good. :wink:

You want your baits to be softer and this probably indicates their solubility and therefore ability to release those all important attractors. The Meteor bait they do is the softest but again the most soluble considering its a fishmeal/meatmeal type bait.

A few companies (inc CCMoore) never get slagged off on forums as they are very good. :wink:

Granted you want them to be soft, but not so soft that you worry they aren't still on the hair, but like I said, air drying sorted that out. And ou're bang on about CC Moore, really decent company to deal with.