Jim Shelly and The Carp Catcher!!!!

gerrymcc

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never met either of them. Watched videos from both and found them of some interest apart from the cooking lessons :( Seeing as CC has not mentioned JS apart from when he appeared in a video it seems odd that JS has kicked off. Either CC has said something elsewhere/in private or maybe there has been some stirring going on.

Maybe JS is just jealous that CC has more views and why JS is the one to disable the comments? Either way I don't care and would rather be fishing :)

feels like the next episode of the twilight saga, So im team cc :D although i must say i felt slightley uncomfotable with the spawning blog and remember thinking naughty bot at the time, But isnt it the responsiblity of the lake owner to close the lake!!

A good fishery owner would close the lake, but most owners need/want the income from Anglers, money comes first. Also, surely the responsibility lays with the Angler, or at least the good Angler, not to fish a water or area where fish are spawning.

Malc

First and foremost it's the fishery owners responsibility unfortunately in every sport you get a person that bends the rules or doesn't care as much as the next man, If the lakes closed there's no issue surely??

feels like the next episode of the twilight saga, So im team cc :D although i must say i felt slightley uncomfotable with the spawning blog and remember thinking naughty bot at the time, But isnt it the responsiblity of the lake owner to close the lake!!

A good fishery owner would close the lake, but most owners need/want the income from Anglers, money comes first. Also, surely the responsibility lays with the Angler, or at least the good Angler, not to fish a water or area where fish are spawning.

Malc

First and foremost it's the fishery owners responsibility unfortunately in every sport you get a person that bends the rules or doesn't care as much as the next man, If the lakes closed there's no issue surely??

In regards to money as far as im concerned if the money isnt there to shut a lake when your fish spawn for two weeks or so then you shouldnt have a fishery, Should be an EA rule that when a lake is under spawning they shut for a period of time!!

In regards to money as far as im concerned if the money isnt there to shut a lake when your fish spawn for two weeks or so then you shouldnt have a fishery, Should be an EA rule that when a lake is under spawning they shut for a period of time!!

Would you apply that just to Carp or all other species in a lake??

Would you apply that just to Carp or all other species in a lake??

spawning's spawning shut it! idealy no other species in the lake :lol:

jim shelly is up there with the best he a top angler. how so many people who dont even no him can slag him off i dont no. i dont no the bloke but ive got respect for any body who got a list of fish half as long as his. id have a pint with him anytime. as for tutorials if people willing to pay him that much then thats up to them nobody has to. and leadcore isnt any more dangerous than any other leader. if a fish snaps somebody and is trailing line weather theres leadcore or a korda leader whats the difference i dont use either personally because i dont see the need. but if a fish is trailing just line its still in potencial danger leadcore neither here nore dare really. its just fashionble to be antie leadcore at the moment. if jim shelly looked at this thread he just laugh at it anyway. there chance he has.

Mate,

You are so far from it, the bloke is an absolutely despicable bag of pony. He gives fishing a bad name, and should be banned from every fishery in the country. I can give you a list of things that he has done that have affected mine and others fishing, and why he was banned from a number of waters, but I choose to keep quiet about it, although there are a few on here who know some of those reasons. The bloke can't even write a post without swearing, so it could have been any of the Mods who banned him. I saw some of what he has written about otters on FB, he is an absolute idiot.

What makes me laugh is some of his comments, about submitting pictures to magazines saying those that do so are only out for fame; How the heck does he think he got (unfortunately) where he is today without those same magazines?

Please Don't even go onto the leadcore front, Frank and I proved without doubt that it is dangerous stuff, down to a length as short as 6inches.

I agree wholeheartedly mate....but can I take a stand here.....I KNOW it was myself and Jez who brought the leadcore issue into light on this forum....and by your own admission in a thread, you did trials to check out what we were saying.....I dont get much recognition for countless issues i have brought up.....so please allow me to claim that!! :wink:

To be honest i dont no why i commented in the first place because i couldnt really care less about any of them. i guess it just annoyed me slightly that people who have never met him were slaggin him off. weather its jim shelly or joe bloggs you should always take people o face value and not hear say. As for leadcore i used it regularly up until around 5 years ago and had no problems what so ever and would use it again if i felt the need. People who make a dangerous set up from leadcore will make a dangerous set up with out it because there idiots. I would agree its easiar to make a dangerous set up from lead core but its also easy to use it safely. if some one could post the link on the leadcore thread id be happy to have a read of it and get some other opinions!

I agree wholeheartedly mate....but can I take a stand here.....I KNOW it was myself and Jez who brought the leadcore issue into light on this forum....and by your own admission in a thread, you did trials to check out what we were saying.....I dont get much recognition for countless issues i have brought up.....so please allow me to claim that!! :wink:

It was down to you and Jez who made me think about it, and take the trouble to prove/disprove what you said. After extensive trials in the middle of winter in a lake where if I did have a problem I could go in and retrieve the problem I stopped using the stuff. While I was doing my trials, I actually ended up going to retrieve a fish snagged up on somebody else's leadcore that had wrapped around a branch. A fish that almost definitely would not have survived.

Gary has also done a lot of playing around with his experiments, and I will link to that thread later.

It does not take a "dangerous" set-up for leadcore to be dangerous, simply because of what it is. A twist or kink on a heli- set-up can prevent a bead or rig coming free, that is a fish towing a lead, and with the potential to be snagged, on as little as 6inches. Ask Moorsey what he had to do with a fish that was towing around a leadcore set-up in a mostly snag free lake. The small tag end of leadcore had trapped a twig, that twig had then snagged up a ball of weed. The whole bundle was then being towed around, and had broken the jaw of a fish, which he had to kill as it was beyond saving. That is one fishery owner, but Arnie the big 40lb+ common in Orchid(?) was trapped and snagged up on a leadcore set-up. Don't forget the pictures Simon Crow published in various magazines with a bead trapping the whole lot together, think a plastic bait was also in use on that as well.

I seem to remember that there was another fish retrieved alive (luckily), tangled up in goodness knows how many rigs, line and leaders, and again, the culprit looks to be the old favourite of leadcore.

For JS to advocate lengths as long as 10feet long is plain and downright irresponsible.

As for leadcore threads:

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32598

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=40970

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39794

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53599

Let me just start by saying im not pro or anti leadcore i havnt used it for years but not because i thought it was dangerous. Must say im not convinced by alot of the arguements on leadcore the biggest factor when a carp gets teatherd is it carnt shred the hook and that isnt down to leadcore. can see the concerns about beads been to tight but thats bad angling. As for the problems with abrasion i caught loads of carp useing leadcore and never found it damaged the fish. If no one used leadcore ever again and every one used tubing fish would still get teatherd occasionly the differnce been that instead of leadcore been attached it be tubeing. The occasional fish getting teatherd is an occupational hazard of carp fishing sadly not on an individual level but carp fishing on the whole. That aint to say we shouldnt do everything in our power to avoid it but leadcore isnt the problem imo. this issue got me thinking about the benifits of barbless hooks which surprised me because im an avid barbed hook user but barbless are not with out problems.

Let me just start by saying im not pro or anti leadcore i havnt used it for years but not because i thought it was dangerous. Must say im not convinced by alot of the arguements on leadcore the biggest factor when a carp gets teatherd is it carnt shred the hook and that isnt down to leadcore. can see the concerns about beads been to tight but thats bad angling. As for the problems with abrasion i caught loads of carp useing leadcore and never found it damaged the fish. If no one used leadcore ever again and every one used tubing fish would still get teatherd occasionly the differnce been that instead of leadcore been attached it be tubeing. The occasional fish getting teatherd is an occupational hazard of carp fishing sadly not on an individual level but carp fishing on the whole. That aint to say we shouldnt do everything in our power to avoid it but leadcore isnt the problem imo. this issue got me thinking about the benifits of barbless hooks which surprised me because im an avid barbed hook user but barbless are not with out problems.

I never damaged a fish with a bent hook rig, yet apparently they caused serious mouth damage, and have since been banned almost everywhere.

It is often down to leadcore that a carp can't shed the hook.

The inherent weight stops the hook being ejected. I've got pictures of fish with marks down their sides where it looks like a line rub, and the only piece of tackle in contact with the fish was leadcore.

I have even put them on the forum, and on one you can see fresh line marks, on another a scale pulled free, and on another, it had a series of black line scars. Maybe or maybe not leadcore, but that was definitely a common denominator of all of the fish as I hooked them all from a open water with no snags.

It doesn't take much to trap a bead on leadcore, (or any other leader for that matter). The slightest kink and the whole lot will prevent the rig etc coming free.

Anyway, I'm not going to go any further on leadcore on this thread, but will C&P your latest comments onto an existing leadcore thread. This thread is about JS and The Carp Catcher

Been reading this thread with interest ive only been carp fishing two seasons but been an angler since i was 7yrs old now 50 :oops: i used to mostly fish for pike and other species ive have had my share of good fish hence the change to carp fishing which iam thoroughly enjoying. In my time pike fishing ive seen loads of killer rigs and to be honest in my short time fishing for carp i think leadcore isnt needed its got two many inherent faults ive had the lead core kink and come out of the braid outer which isn't acceptable which is why i dont use it any more.There are plenty of other materials that can be used for leaders and for fixing the beads on chods etc you can now buy the korda safety beads with the split that only have to move millimetres and they will drop off on fluoro leaders you dont get kinks and all the other problems you get with leadcore. Also there are folks fishing that you will never educate you will never eliminate them no matter how hard you try we once had a well known angler do a talk for us and on his leger rigs he had fixed his lead to the eye of his trace swivel with a lead clip when i told him if he snapped off theres no way the lead could be discarded by the fish his answer to that was i never snap off :roll: just because an angler is successful doesn't mean everything they do is the right way to do it.

To be honest i dont no why i commented in the first place because i couldnt really care less about any of them. i guess it just annoyed me slightly that people who have never met him were slaggin him off. weather its jim shelly or joe bloggs you should always take people o face value and not hear say. As for leadcore i used it regularly up until around 5 years ago and had no problems what so ever and would use it again if i felt the need. People who make a dangerous set up from leadcore will make a dangerous set up with out it because there idiots. I would agree its easiar to make a dangerous set up from lead core but its also easy to use it safely. if some one could post the link on the leadcore thread id be happy to have a read of it and get some other opinions!
most on here are to an extent taking him on face value, was you on here when he was causing problems and coming out with his usuall spill? going out of his way to wind people up? he is an egotistical up himself moron mate. you dont have to meet someone face to face nowadays to find out what they are really like

A couple of years ago I posted a reply to a thread, on another forum, about how many novice anglers go straight into carp fishing without any understanding about water craft etc.

My comment was something along the lines of too many anglers using 3.5lb TC rods, big pits and 20lb line on small lakes just because they've seen that sort of tackle used on a Danny Fairbass DVD or Jim Shelly on you tube.

JS jumped onto the thread and started abusing me even though other members pointed out I wasn't having a go at him. I also tried to explain what I meant by my post and that it wasn't a slight on him (or Danny) but he was having none of it. In the end my last post said something like there's no point arguing with somebody who simply ignores the facts and I left it at that.

You should have seen the abusive, rambling and frankly unhinged emails he sent me after that. :shock:

Jim Shelly, a man keeping it real :roll::roll::roll:

not really mate. even when used correctly it is dangerous. look through the post and pics on here where it has been used as safely as poss, still = fish deaths.

My main point is with so many carp getting caught threw out the year that fish getting teatherd occosionly and dieing is sadly un avoidle. If leadcore was never used again i dont beleive that the number of fish getting teatherd would decrease. Only few wks ago i had funny bite struck and brought a upper double mirror to the bank that was teatherd up, one of the sticks it was trailing had got caught up on my mainline it didnt have a leadcore leader it was line straight threw if i hadnt landed that fish would have been on borrowed time. The only way to stop fish getting teatherd is to stop driveing razor sharp peices of metal in to there mouths. The reason ive worded that way is because thats what we do while fishing and thats the most dangerous part not a few foot of leadcore.

All the leadcore posts have been C&P'd onto http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?p=595083#595083

A few years ago I started up the thread about Advanced Carp Fishing and the risks of leadcore that a set-up that they published. I'd already had run-ins with Jim Shelley personally, and know how many fisheries he has been banned from in Norfolk due to his constant rule breaking. He has NOT been welcomed back onto most of them like he has Waveney Valley!

I was a member of another forum, and from then on I started receiving nasty PM's from him and his acolytes. In the end, it got so bad my account was closed when I was having to complain almost every time I logged on.

All the leadcore posts have been C&P'd onto http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?p=595083#595083

A few years ago I started up the thread about Advanced Carp Fishing and the risks of leadcore that a set-up that they published. I'd already had run-ins with Jim Shelley personally, and know how many fisheries he has been banned from in Norfolk due to his constant rule breaking. He has NOT been welcomed back onto most of them like he has Waveney Valley!

I was a member of another forum, and from then on I started receiving nasty PM's from him and his acolytes. In the end, it got so bad my account was closed when I was having to complain almost every time I logged on.

JS is not averse to a bit intimidation when he can hide on the internet is he Nick? His PMs to me were actually quite funny but is a tragic sort of way. They indicated a man with some serious anger issues. That and how proud he was of his Mercedes Benz van! Which he paid cash for. Apparently