Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
phil090781

line clip

Hi All,

Hopefully not a stupid question.....

What is the benefit of using the line clip on the rod above the reel?

I've never used them, and just wondered who does and what the reasons are

Phil

As Nick said, it helps achieve a better angle down to your bobbins/swingers and back up to the alarm. Supposedly this improves indication.

Also good fun when you have a slow take where the line tightens, bobbins rise up, and then PING...lovely job!

Personally, i think traditional line clips (next to the reel seat) are a waste of time. The add-on types (Defiant, Solar etc) positioned just behind the alarm can be very beneficial.

Personally, i think traditional line clips (next to the reel seat) are a waste of time. The add-on types (Defiant, Solar etc) positioned just behind the alarm can be very beneficial.

Annoying you said that, I just realised I have to get some more Solar Strong Arm line clips after losing a couple. :shock::roll:

Agreed. I use the delkim ones now , a worthwhile investment.

Whys that mate?

I don't see the point of them above the reel any more at all.

Useful a while ago when using open bail arm, to stop the line falling off the spool, but now most anglers use a baitrunner / free spool option they seem a bit redundant- especially built in on new rods.

I do use a clip before the buzzer sometimes, as it can improve indication.

Usually use the Solar strong arm type and always manage to lose one- but am tempted by the Delkims. What are they like?

I don't see the point of them above the reel any more at all.

Useful a while ago when using open bail arm, to stop the line falling off the spool, but now most anglers use a baitrunner / free spool option they seem a bit redundant- especially built in on new rods.

Usually use the Solar strong arm type and always manage to lose one- but am tempted by the Delkims. What are they like?

Interesting thought that, the Delkim ones. I've seen them advertised myself, they do look good, also interested in any personal experience

I did'nt buy the delkim ones just to match the rest of my setup...honest :D

I think the thing that swayed me into buying is that you don't actually have to clip it up as such, the line can just go between the magnets to change the angle to your bobbins.

lineclip.jpg

That way your not trapping the line against the blank, and if you lucky enought to get a run it'll just ping out without any worries.

hth jay

I think the thing that swayed me into buying is that you don't actually have to clip it up as such, the line can just go between the magnets to change the angle to your bobbins.

lineclip.jpg

That way your not trapping the line against the blank, and if you lucky enought to get a run it'll just ping out without any worries.

hth jay

Thanks Jay- do you ever have any issues with the line catching on the cast?

lineclip.jpg

hth jay

I always put the line in after the cast .

I think the sales blurb says you can but cannot think why you would want too :?

I always put the line in after the cast .

I think the sales blurb says you can but cannot think why you would want too :?

Sorry mate, that's not what I meant....I mean, does the line slap against the clip when you cast out?

This is how I use it chap, how else?

Years ago, a lot of anglers used to clip up tight in front of the buzzer with the lines like bow strings, fishing a heavy running lead

lineclip.jpg

hth jay

My mate brought a set of delkim ones after buying multiple sets of other manufacturers clips main problem with all of them was the line catching the clips on the cast right pain in the bum (worst ones the ball type clips) the delkim clips are excellent no problems at all there guaranteed for 2years which aint a bad thing.Only problem i can see is when the O rings perish you may lose your clip so really be a good idea to replace the O ring at the first signs of wear.Forgot to say was looking at rods in climax and did see a set of blanks with a carbon line clip whipped on well forwards of the reel to set your bobbins with a perfect angle good idea cant remember the name of the manufacturer though.

I can't remember whether it was Rod Hutchinson or Andy Little who recommended line clips in front (tip side) of the alarm to prevent false bleeps.

That option would only work if you could be guaranteed runs rather than just twitches, so more on a running lead set-up than semi-fixed lead.

I can't remember whether it was Rod Hutchinson or Andy Little who recommended line clips in front (tip side) of the alarm to prevent false bleeps.

That option would only work if you could be guaranteed runs rather than just twitches, so more on a running lead set-up than semi-fixed lead.

I think it was Andy Little. He got a clip whipped to the spigot whip on the top section of his rod if memory serves?

I think it was Andy Little. He got a clip whipped to the spigot whip on the top section of his rod if memory serves?

That sounds about right and also makes me think of his alarms in front of the rod tips as well?

Supposedly to deal with very tentative takes that were being received at Savay at the time.

It was Andy Little, but Hutchy also wrote about it.

I think he said something like "if a fish breaks wind near your bait it will hook itself"

A technique my mates and I used a lot in the mid 80's, even when fishing under the rod tip- 3oz lead, line pulled mega tight into the clip in front of the buzzer, very short dacron hooklink, short hair off the eye, masses of particles (daris, hemp) and a boilie over the top.

lineclip.jpg

hth jay

My mate brought a set of delkim ones after buying multiple sets of other manufacturers clips main problem with all of them was the line catching the clips on the cast right pain in the bum (worst ones the ball type clips) the delkim clips are excellent no problems at all there guaranteed for 2years which aint a bad thing.Only problem i can see is when the O rings perish you may lose your clip so really be a good idea to replace the O ring at the first signs of wear.Forgot to say was looking at rods in climax and did see a set of blanks with a carbon line clip whipped on well forwards of the reel to set your bobbins with a perfect angle good idea cant remember the name of the manufacturer though.

I treated myself to a set of the Delkim line clips this week. They really look the business, and very full complete instructions on their use.

Straight into the tackle box for use next session