Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Stay put or mooch about?

What do you do?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

• Sit it out
    • Mooch

Guest Anonymous

My lake has a closed season so on the last day I shot down the lake but only had 3 hours spare. I fished one of my usual productive spots & had an 8lb Common off the bottom which I was happy with, last 1 of the season & all that.

By asking 'stay put or mooch about' I'm not icluding stalking etc. but just in your general fishing on say a 24 hour session, do you stick it out & try to attract the fish or do you keep moving? I know fish obviously move around but in a lake of only 1 acre like mine surely the fish will come across the bait eventually?

My reason for asking the question is that within my 3 hours at the lake there was a bloke who couldn't sit still. He would gather up all his gear, move to another peg & drop his single piece of luncheon meat in, have a ciggy then move again if he hadn't caught! He was driving me mad :lol:

It's a members only water & he's a regular so one would presume he knows the lake.

Honestly, he didn't stay in the same peg for more than 10 minutes, is this normal or should we get him some help for his piles?

I stay put - I'm confident with my locations & bait etc...

Where ever i go i set up and stay like a good OLD dog i am !!

I have so much stuff like shelter if not an over nighter to pack up to move around i cant be bothered, so once its set up its set up.

They say to study the location before you set up etc to get a good peg/swim but you cant always do that and have to take pot luck.

My lake has a closed season so on the last day I shot down the lake but only had 3 hours spare. I fished one of my usual productive spots & had an 8lb Common off the bottom which I was happy with, last 1 of the season & all that.

By asking 'stay put or mooch about' I'm not icluding stalking etc. but just in your general fishing on say a 24 hour session, do you stick it out & try to attract the fish or do you keep moving? I know fish obviously move around but in a lake of only 1 acre like mine surely the fish will come across the bait eventually?

My reason for asking the question is that within my 3 hours at the lake there was a bloke who couldn't sit still. He would gather up all his gear, move to another peg & drop his single piece of luncheon meat in, have a ciggy then move again if he hadn't caught! He was driving me mad :lol:

It's a members only water & he's a regular so one would presume he knows the lake.

Honestly, he didn't stay in the same peg for more than 10 minutes, is this normal or should we get him some help for his piles?

I stay put - I'm confident with my locations & bait etc...

Difficult one, especially with the No Stalking section thrown in.

I would prefer to have a few swims primed in the margins if possible with Bait that I could see. Then spend a few minutes just watching and seeing if the Carp come in and take any bait. If there was none there then it had obviously been visited and I would re-bait and drop a Hookbait in there.

If you count this as Stalking then I'm slightly Miffed and upset. :lol:

Seriously, I would tend to pick a swim with some sort of feature near it and fish it as effectively as possible, with regular recasting on 1 rod to try to find the fish and leave the other still out there for an extended period.

Incidentally how did you catch the Carp, was it on a regularly moved bait or was in on the Bait sat still?

Guest Anonymous
Difficult one, especially with the No Stalking section thrown in.

I don't like to make things too easy :wink:

If you count this as Stalking then I'm slightly Miffed and upset. :lol:

Not at all, stalking to me is travelling light, cutting your arms & legs to pieces in the brambles & still blanking :lol:

Incidentally how did you catch the Carp, was it on a regularly moved bait or was in on the Bait sat still?

It was the prebaited swim from 2 days previous & was on the still bait of lobworm.

I always have 1 still & 1 roaming when things are quiet.

I even tried 1 on the top last week cause I could see them cruising but they wouldn't touch it so I fished the zig, got a few knocks but still nothing :cry:

For me it depends on so many factors. I make my decission on where i set up and if i move bassed on how long my sesssion is, what the weather is epected to do during my session, angling pressure, my observation of any carp when i arrive and during the session. I have moved a few times during a session and it is a pain in the butt once your al set up etc and carried loads gear but i would rather catch than blank and i can not recall a time when i have moved and not caught anything as a result of moving.

[edited to remove swearing]

Something i tend to do is if after 2 hrs i have blanked i will pre bait up another area so after a few hours i can drop my rod in and fingers crossed as a back up plan.

if i go for a day session i will move at least once during that session unless the first place i pick turns out to be a blinder of course.

during a single night ill tend to stay put on my prebaited area and try and find the fish with one rod if nothings happening.

if i stay for more than 24 hrs then ill decide by the second day whether to move or not. (if ive still not caught of course)

Depends on the venue and wether I have the mrs fishing with me.

Smaller venues I'm more inclined to more to the fish rather than wait for them, even one acre waters. I always have a good nose before I choose a swim and will quite happily upsticks to go to the fish.

The only times that I am totally static is long session fishing with my wife as there is twice the amount of gear to shift or if I have either prebaited or am certain that I'm on a patrol route.

I have to admit I struggle with "bait and wait" fishing (unless I am tench or bream fishing, yes I have targeted Bream but the venue does average doubles). I think that's why I got so into my lure fishing, not only mobile on a venue but hitting two, three or even four different venues in a day.

Smaller venues of say an acre or so the Sit and wait may give you the option to cast to the whole Lake or pond. Regular recasting with 1 rod and you could drop onto the Fish.

I fish a 3 acre Lake sometimes and even on there I will try different swims on a Day session. This Lake is shaped like an upside down Capital E.

The Lake can be very patchy, one end will contain No Carp at all in winter, its very shallow at that end, yet the middle section and the front part will have Carp there. The swims near the Car Park often get regularly fished so quite a bit of Bait goes in there and the Carp may continue to visit the area, or even live in the snags there. The middle section is not quite so heavily fished, but does contain a few Overhanging trees and a few bloodworm beds. It can be worth moving between the 2 areas to try to find Fish.

On a larger water then the Mooch about approach will often work well. The number of times I have set up and then decided I am in the wrong area on long and short sessions. I knew that there was a reason I set the Bivvy/shelter up last and always got the rods in first. Far easier to move that way :wink:

I'm confused?? An upside down capital 'E'. I have just turned this capital 'E' upside down at it still looks the same. How would you know your pond is upside down. :roll::roll:

more like an 'M' maybe?

I'm confused?? An upside down capital 'E'. I have just turned this capital 'E' upside down at it still looks the same. How would you know your pond is upside down. :roll::roll:

LOL, :lol::lol:

OOPS!

Alright, for those who are struggling this morning (including me!)

Like a Figure 3, but with Straight Edges, or turn the Capital E 180degrees, so that the End of the Lines point towards the Left hand edge of the Screen :wink::lol::lol:

OOPS!

Like a Figure 3, but with Straight Edges, or turn the Capital E 180degrees, so that the End of the Lines point towards the Left hand edge of the Screen :wink::lol::lol:

If you stand at the other end of the lake, its still an 'E' :lol:

Guest Anonymous

OOPS!

But surley it depends which bank you're standing on, it could be a back to front capital "E" or if you happened to be on the North bank it'd be an "M"... are you saying it's definitly not an "O" :lol:

OOPS!

like a mirror image? :wink:

Take less kit then......

If you see a fish jump like 300 yards down the bank are you saying you would rather stay put than move onto it?

I mostly fish a pond thats only about an acre and is long and narrow I normally set up in the middle and can cast anywhere from there, its not even 300 yards long

I've never fished for longer than 36 hours so have never had a long session where i have needed to move, next friday i'm going to france for a week long session so if I haven't had any action after a day or two I would move then

OOPS!

like a mirror image? :wink:

That will do !:lol: Better explanation than mine. :wink:

You can't actually fish from the Straight edge, and its definitely not an "O". :wink::lol:

OOPS!

But surley it depends which bank you're standing on, it could be a back to front capital "E" or if you happened to be on the North bank it'd be an "M"... are you saying it's definitly not an "O" :lol:

And if you was on the south bank, it would look like a 'W' :lol: