Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
fishunity

A New Lake And A New Challenge

A new lake and a new challenge, this time I was visiting Hawkhurst. It had been five weeks since my last session to Thorpe Lea and despite the cold and dreary weather I was happy to once again be on the bankside. Being my first visit to this complex I didn't really have much knowledge on the lake, so this was bound to be a season long learning curve.

Arriving at the lake around 6.30am I decided to take a walk around and look for any signs before choosing my swim. I spotted some fizzing in the central area of the lake and decided that I would start from there; I had the lake to myself at this point so I knew I could always move at a later stage.

I decided to fish one rod on and one rod off a carpet of feed using a size 8 blow back style rig and an inline free running lead system. By the time I had set up camp the rain was really coming down and I found myself facing the same situation as Thorpe Lea five weeks ago......... A mud bath.

0000001.jpg

13.10pm - all very quiet, the rain had died down with a gentle cross wind coming through. I decided to change my bait slightly and swapped my bottom baits tipped with pop up corn for fluro wafters. As I still had the lake to myself I cast one of my baits with a small bag of pellets to the right of the swim roughly two swims down from me, but still keeping to the middle. My other rod was kept on the baited spot in front of me. No signs of fish movement had been spotted although I was still hopeful I could snare one.

21lb08oz-Common-1024x7681.jpg

My session soon came to an end and I was still waiting for my first chunk of 2013. Two sessions blanked but staying positive, taking into account the conditions it was always going to be hard angling. Looking back I would have taken a different approach, perhaps sticking to small bags of pellet or crumb rather than putting a carpet of loose feed out and working the rods around the swim hoping to snare the odd un-expecting Carp. Every session should be a learning curve and taking something from it even if it isn’t a Carp. Unfortunately I will have to wait some time before my next session, then again it might not all be bad as it gives the temperature time to warm up and hopefully the Carp will be more active.

BANKSIDE BIVVY

Read more @http://www.thecarpcorner.j3i.co.uk/

Sponsored by www.IBreadcrumbs.co.uk

A new lake and a new challenge, this time I was visiting Hawkhurst. It had been five weeks since my last session to Thorpe Lea and despite the cold and dreary weather I was happy to once again be on the bankside. Being my first visit to this complex I didn't really have much knowledge on the lake, so this was bound to be a season long learning curve.

Arriving at the lake around 6.30am I decided to take a walk around and look for any signs before choosing my swim. I spotted some fizzing in the central area of the lake and decided that I would start from there; I had the lake to myself at this point so I knew I could always move at a later stage.

I decided to fish one rod on and one rod off a carpet of feed using a size 8 blow back style rig and an inline free running lead system. By the time I had set up camp the rain was really coming down and I found myself facing the same situation as Thorpe Lea five weeks ago......... A mud bath.

0000001.jpg

13.10pm - all very quiet, the rain had died down with a gentle cross wind coming through. I decided to change my bait slightly and swapped my bottom baits tipped with pop up corn for fluro wafters. As I still had the lake to myself I cast one of my baits with a small bag of pellets to the right of the swim roughly two swims down from me, but still keeping to the middle. My other rod was kept on the baited spot in front of me. No signs of fish movement had been spotted although I was still hopeful I could snare one.

IMG-20130315-000861.jpg

Its early evening and the little light that was present throughout the day is well and truly gone, with just enough visibility remaining I reset my traps on the baited area and settled in for the night. The first 12 hours of the session had been very quiet and speaking to the bailiff on my arrival it was not a surprise. My visit to Thorpe Lea five weeks ago saw temperatures in the minus and looking ahead to this trip I had hoped things would warm up, but unfortunately not. At most my thermometer was reading 2 degrees Celsius during the day and the lake had been fishing very slowly, although in the current climate I would expect most lakes across the country to be facing the same situation. However taking everything into account I can’t feel to downhearted, I mean I’m out there doing what I love.

04.30am – I am awoken by the sound of my alarm, but not the ones sitting outside on the bank. This was my wake up call; I always wake up before sunrise to welcome the day in looking over the lake watching nature come to life. It’s one of those magical experiences that get you hooked and one that you know only fellow anglers experience; however this wasn’t the only reason. The other was also just as magical to watch and that was carp feeding or at least a sign. If you are willing to put the effort in and wake up before everyone else and watch the lake as it comes to life the carp will soon give you a signal, an indication to their whereabouts. This could be anything from fizzing, bow waves or even a pair of extending lips breaking the surface as it feeds on a tasty morsel. It’s what you do with this information that could decide whether or not you blank a session or even catch that new PB.

An example of this in my own experiences would be a 24 hour session I did at Orchard Place Farm last year and I had been on a good run not having blanked for months, but this session in particular was proving to be a tricky one. With eight other anglers on the lake and no one had managed to bank a fish and it wasn’t looking likely I would manage it either. I woke up early and got myself straight, just as I opened the bivvy door a fish crashed in a bay to the right of my swim in the margins. Seeing that I reeled one of my rods in and attached a pre baited rig with a small stick of crumbed boilie and put it right on the spot that the fish had made an appearance. Just as I put the rod on the rest the 3lb test curve swung round and I was in. The result a 21lb common, just goes to show that observation is half the battle.

21lb08oz-Common-1024x7681.jpg

My session soon came to an end and I was still waiting for my first chunk of 2013. Two sessions blanked but staying positive, taking into account the conditions it was always going to be hard angling. Looking back I would have taken a different approach, perhaps sticking to small bags of pellet or crumb rather than putting a carpet of loose feed out and working the rods around the swim hoping to snare the odd un-expecting Carp. Every session should be a learning curve and taking something from it even if it isn’t a Carp. Unfortunately I will have to wait some time before my next session, then again it might not all be bad as it gives the temperature time to warm up and hopefully the Carp will be more active.

BANKSIDE BIVVY

Read more @http://www.thecarpcorner.j3i.co.uk/

Sponsored by www.IBreadcrumbs.co.uk[/url]

nice blog m8 well done

Thank you Chillfactor & Chris 71, any suggestions for improvement are welcome for my next installment .
Hello mate like I said nice little write up... your first rig is very similar to my standard set up/rig the only thing I would say was different would be the hair length mines normally a minimum of 10mm in my eyes just gives the hook a better chance to find a good hold... what are your thoughts ?

Phil :)