As I'm sure you are all aware, rod licenses run out at the end of this month.

I posted a question on my facebook about how often people have been checked for their license as I have been fishing about 7 years now and have been checked 2 maybe 3 times.

I've had about 30 responses so far and every single person has said barely ever, even never. They have also said how long they have been fishing for, and some people are upwards of 20-30years and have been checked once or twice if at all!

Now, I will always get my licenses out of honesty, as well as legality.

The EA make it a big issue that rod licenses are compulsary, but with so little EA presence on the banks, it is no wonder that you get poachers and people with no license because its too easy to get away with.

Another issue raised on my status is that the money is supposed to be used to preserve and maintain our waters yet there are lots of places that see no maintanance. Is this an EA job or the lake owners?

Quite a few points raised in this thread so it would be interesting to know all of your opinions on the subject.

Joe

Twice in 41 years.

I always buy 2 licences as sometimes fish 3 rods.

But also when wife is fishing as well when she goes off to make me a cup of tea saves her bringing in her rods. And yes she has her own rod licence.

This year is even better as we both qualify for the £18 wrinklies licence so £54 for the 3 licences :oops::wink:

I've been asked once in all my life and that was on some dingy pool I fished as a kid where the bailiff asked me and my mate for it and I think the only reason he asked was because he wanted an excuse to chuck us off, was shocked when we pulled our licences out lol

I have been checked 4/5 times over the years and never on rivers or canals.

As for you point about the EA maintaining waters with the money, i believe they only maintain public rivers/canals and lakes. If someone owns the lake or stretch of river/canal then i believe its down to the owner of it.

Same way as if you own a house and it needs new windows then you are responsible for getting new windows.

Very little money benifits coarse fishermen. it helps otters and boaters more than fish and fishermen. The majority of our money is squanderd there a branch of the goverment that should tell you all you need to no. Over paid pen pushing muppets on the whole. They are rolling out a voluntry baillif scheme. typical of a goverment body want paying to provide a service but dont want to spend the money on the service expected. They waste the money on what they see fit and suits them. rather than employ a professional bailliff they want to get mug volunteers to do it for free.

Buy mine thru direct debit but invariably forget to carry it! Used to get checked every weekend when I fished in London, normally Farlows or Walthamstow. Nowadays I don't get checked that often as I'm on syndi waters well off the beaten track and the EA don't bother but when I go to day tickets around here (East yorks) I do tend to see a balliff checking. Had it checked a couple of weeks ago, didn't have it so he took my name and address and didn't come back.

I've been checked once in 17yrs. Was fishing with two rods. had one licence. Was plumbing with a third. The EA ballifs came around and tried to do me for fishing with three rods! I elected to go to court and refused the fine as I was only fishing two rods. The EA dropped the case when I elected to go to court. I have never seen ANY benefit from my licence money. Not one penny has gone into any water I've fished, from commercials to club waters, canals, rivers etc. one club water once had disabled platforms fitted but they were paid for by the club, not the EA. I reported a fish kill on a small stream about fifteen years ago, but do not Remember a reaction, however they did successfully prosecute the cause of the spill eventually. I heard rumours that the EA did a restock of the stream, but I saw no evidence of this myself. I do often wonder why I pay and where my money actually goes. I know the wife resents me paying the licence fee!

:roll:

Once in 5 years, and that was the first time on a local campsite that had a small fishing lake onsite. Been back there three times since and never been asked again.

It would cost way too much to check every angler on every water every day so they go for pot luck spot checking in the hope it will keep the masses honest.

As i said on your facebook, asked twice in 14 years... Both times i got checked where last year.

I have a funny feeling we will be seeing more balliffs around this year checking more licenses as they said last year that there would be more of them about.

My birthday is april 2nd so i always get my license as a b'day present :)

il be renewing my 2 this year but as i always am il be reluctant when handing the money over as ive been asked once in all my time on the bank

(sandhurst social) 2 years ago, And i also dont see where the money goe's.. Got a question i may of asked befor, But shouldnt the lake owners when giving tickets or recieving or renewing syndicate tickets make sure they have a licence, And if anyone found fishing without one then they too be penalised?

I can offer one example of where our license money goes. The River Tame, which flows beside our village, was an open sewer for many years. Industrial pollution being the worst culprit.

Some years ago the EA started a clean up operation and successfully prosecuted several businesses which were using the river as a dumping ground for all sorts of nastiness.

The upshot is that the Tame is now home to fish once again and is clear enough that the riverbed is, once more, visible. As are voles and other life forms.

There will be other Brummies who can testify to this appropriate use of our money.

Ian

in the 5 years i have been fishing...only been checked once at furnace lakes in slinfold..bloke came upto me through the trees in full stab vest and a extenable truncheon like the police issue,looking more like a reject from robocop.

when i first saw him i immediatly thought i could hear banjos playing then relised he was from the EA :lol: