• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your target range is under 120 yards, I don't see any justification for using one.
your fishing 50yrds out on braid because you are fishing tight into snags and need to drop a bait under an overhang by about three ft for the take...fishable from one bank only and impossible to wade....... :idea:

PS....99% dont NEED to use them....and shouldnt really....but its another tool in the armoury...I do...and also use a rowing boat on occasion...WHEN circumstances dictate I need to.

Well said, they are a tool and used corectly for the right reason, they are great.

second that :D

now ive never been a fan of baitboats but i can see there uses.

i started to think about it last year when i was thinking of joining a 280 acre res. 3 new distance casting rods and reels or a baitboat?

then like the idiot i am i broke my back.. not sure how my distance casting is going to be now :roll:

so i am again thinking about a boat

then again i am still a child so maybe remote contoll boats will only get me in trouble :lol::lol:

Sorry guys imho bait boats are cheating if you cant cast to them dont fish for them, all fish should have safe areas if you are putting baits under tree branches you shame on you let the fish have somwhere to hide away from pressure.

quite often a fish that has been caught then realeased will hide in these areas let thm be.

Tin hat on :D

Thing is mate, that's your opinion, and you have just as much right to that as people who use boats do.

Just isn't worth telling people who aren't interested, why not write to the manufacturers of these boats and voice your concerns. That'd be doing something useful with your opinion rather than preaching to people who don't have anybody to answer to and can do/use whatever they like.

sorry fella as i said this is my opinion i am not preaching to any body just offering my thoughts please dont take it to heart, you can use whatever you like it wont effect me.

as long as everybody enjoys their fishing and dont put fish at risk then happy days indeed.

Just saying like :)

If you don,t like bait boats tuff. I thought long and hard when I bought mine not for the ethics but should I really spend that much money :!:

Any how first night I used it I managed to get it stuck on some lilly pads and in panick at my £650 quid boat sitting out there I want and dragged heavy boat round and put in lake to retrieve bait boat nackered myself And 24 hr later had a bloody heart attack :shock:

Still back to b/boats that particular lake 90% used boats and you never had any leads/hooks or spods up trees.

Current club water no b/boats and there are always endless leads /hooks and spods up trees. But some of them stuck in the dark ages will not alter club rules.

Not used mine for 5 years but would not sell it might come in handy when If go to water where can use it

Seen several birds with hooks in them caught in trees while trying to eat boilie is what we really want especially when you get non anglers walking around some of our waters

It always makes me laugh when people knock bait boats but will use a dingy to row out to bait up on some lakes

then again i am still a child so maybe remote contoll boats will only get me in trouble :lol::lol:

Space hopping on a boat? That's a whole new level of dangerous :lol: Get a boat Doug, fish comfortably numb :wink:

leggs and myself on a boat in france was comfortably numb.

until we snuck up on welder and syjlij :roll: then it was funny :lol::lol:

Space hopping on a boat? That's a whole new level of dangerous :lol: Get a boat Doug, fish comfortably numb :wink:

I heard not so sneaky :lol:

we thought it was :oops::oops::roll::roll::lol::lol:

Is there really that much to argue about? I don't use one, but I might if I needed to. If someone wants to use one and they enjoy their fishing, then good luck to them. If they don't, then good luck to them too! we all go fishing because we enjoy it, find it relaxing, want to set ourselves goals and targets or just need a bit of peace from the pace of life. :wink:

You heard right! I could hear giggling and the creak of oars, then my worst fears materialised.

Doug and Mick. In a rowing boat. Did they cross my lines? Yes.of course. Was I put out? No, not in the least. It's hard to be vexed when you can hardly stand for laughing.

To anyone who's never met these two, don't.

Ian

I didn't use one till a few years back, now I have one and it's ideal for the lakes I've been fishing. 120+ yards to small holes in the weed around the size of a pillow, if I were to cast to it I would be damn lucky to hit it with an untangled rig, no doubt no where near where I was spodding to for the last 30 mins or so and no doubt spooking every carp in the lake away.

They have a time and a place, live and let live. If you don't like it then so what, there's aspects of other people's fishing that i may not agree with, doesn't make it wrong or right tho.

Back to bait boats. During the week in France that Doug refers to, John Sydall and I hired a bait boat between us. We were in adjacent swims so it made sense to share.

My swim was as near to the dam wall as is possible (Rushes Lake) and is an accessible cast to the dam but for the overhanging trees. The Viper Icon we rented gave me access to these overhangs and resulted in the best takes of the week there.

A few months after our return I bought a secondhand Angling Technics Microcat which I haven't used yet. I shall be using it at the upcoming social at Cromwell as the swim I've been allocated has just such overhangs.

I live in hope. :roll:

Ian

i started to think about it last year when i was thinking of joining a 280 acre res. 3 new distance casting rods and reels or a baitboat?

then like the idiot i am i broke my back.. not sure how my distance casting is going to be now :roll:

Doug get a bait boat use it for all your fishing until you build your back up.

If you try casting to soon you will land yourself in a basin full off bother, trust me I know.

What realy suprises me :o is that NO ONE has mentioned the best reason in the world for having a baitboat.

They are quite simply the best tool for dilivering cups of tea to your mate on the otherside of the lake :wink:

Gotta disagree Frank :oops: have past experience of trying this and found the tea spills quite easily, now cans/ bottles of beer/cider or spirits 8)

What realy suprises me :o is that NO ONE has mentioned the best reason in the world for having a baitboat.

They are quite simply the best tool for dilivering cups of tea to your mate on the otherside of the lake :wink:

Gotta disagree Frank :oops: have past experience of trying this and found the tea spills quite easily, now cans/ bottles of beer/cider or spirits 8)

Sorry, didnt realise anyone had sugested it.

However I too disagree with you, the tea does not spill if poured into one of the modern insulated cups with lid! :wink:

I would like to see the course the boat takes after its dilivery of the various alcholic dricks :D

there are people on my venue bait boating into open water! Why when they are fishing 50yards out?

Maybe they want the bait tight to there rig, maybe they dont want to thrash the water spodding, maybe they like using there boat.........why does it annoy you so much if there in there own swim and not in yours.?

because my venues is so small I don't see why they need too, that alone gets my neck up!

now, you see, there is pefect justification for using a boat in your situation! I have no problem when it is because you are fishing at masive range an it will genuinly help your fishing.

I hate the things! In my humble opinion they have no place in angling and should be kept to the local boating pond.

There is only one possible use for them that I find acceptable which is if you are on a massive venue (like found in France) and need to get your baits out to mega-range and the use of a real (rowing) boat is not allowed.

I may be biased against their use due to personal experience of idiots steaming them through my swim and depositing baits over the spots I am fishing.

I am actually quite looking forward to the next act of nautical nuisance that occurs in front of me as I will be opening up with a broadside barrage of 3oz leads, aiming right amidships! If and when this naval engagement commences and the admiral of the enemy fleet (bait boat owner) comes round to lament his expensive and now sunken boat he will also end up at the bottom of Davy Jones'e locker... Aaaarhg me hearties...

:lol:

• 7 months later...

Lol,some good posts here!!

In reply to the above bait boats are mostly useless on the mega big euro waters as most of the time the waters far too choppy and they would probably sink!! Lol most people use proper boats!!

Was at lac du Der recently and a guy who fishes the lake alot had an angling tech, boat but said he can rarely use it because of the chop!!

Nearly 30 yrs I have fished with no bait boat, but have to admit that in certain circumstances they are very good! I don't fish in the UK much so I can only imagine some of the problems they ( or the people controlling them!!) cause on the uk's busy lakes lol, but on the smaller un fished public waters I fish in Europe they are really fantastic and you often get takes after minutes even on tough venues where 24 plus hours for a take is the norm!!??