Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
nathanhuynh

bait boats...why?

sooo bait boats are cheating and are for people who cant cast. ok then so are bite alarms cheating and for people who cant be bothered to stay awake and watch there bobbins for a bite?

what i hate these days is you get a bunch of spanners (tools) who have it in them that you have to exhaust yourself with spods and hard work to be a good angler!

you know what i go fishing to relax and do very little (and i have a few out:-)) its about enjoying yourself.

i actually use my boat very little due to the 2 waters i fish dont allow them but given the chance id use it every day and drink a beer while the spod army do there thing.

so you dont use buzzers either?? coz in some eyes like that of the gsc that would be cheating. oh and dont take your bedchair and sleeping bag...thats cheating to. yates would only use a basket and a overcoat. oh and make sure you side hook your baits as a hair is cheating. where do you draw the line?

I hate the things! In my humble opinion they have no place in angling and should be kept to the local boating pond.

There is only one possible use for them that I find acceptable which is if you are on a massive venue (like found in France) and need to get your baits out to mega-range and the use of a real (rowing) boat is not allowed.

I may be biased against their use due to personal experience of idiots steaming them through my swim and depositing baits over the spots I am fishing.

I am actually quite looking forward to the next act of nautical nuisance that occurs in front of me as I will be opening up with a broadside barrage of 3oz leads, aiming right amidships! If and when this naval engagement commences and the admiral of the enemy fleet (bait boat owner) comes round to lament his expensive and now sunken boat he will also end up at the bottom of Davy Jones'e locker... Aaaarhg me hearties...

:lol:

lol even though i can see both points this post is rather funny and puts a slighty comical stance on this heated discussion. In Cornwall I've never seen one, must of all been sunk in Davey jones locker lol. Just hearing stories of anglers using them and losing signal puts me off. Happened to a mate up country and he piled into the guy opposite rods. Maybe not funny at the time but they both laugh about it now. I have considered getting one to get close to snags and prevent break offs or trees full of leads to hang carp with but i see the facts, if i cant cast there then its tough as they need somewhere to be comfortable.

oh and for the record milky , i can easily do 130 on the nose every chuck (ask theo) so no need to be rude. however just because i can dont mean i have to!! i can walk the 24 miles to work each day but i have a car so i dont have to!! know what i mean arry!!

oh and for the record milky , i can easily do 130 on the nose every chuck (ask theo) so no need to be rude. however just because i can dont mean i have to!! i can walk the 24 miles to work each day but i have a car so i dont have to!! know what i mean arry!!

Why are you so mad about it?

You can add using fixed spool reels instead of proper centrepins as cheating, and for that matter no boilies, if your bait cant be taken or at least whittled down by any size fish, that is also cheating.

BOF :wink:

I would rather be part of the highly skilled spod army, than a no skill involved bait boat navy boy. 8)

Would using a boat take those skills away from you, ? me and my fishing buddy have both fished for well over 40 years , i would say our casting skills are pretty good we don't fish huge waters and casting to lilly's islands ect is part of our every day fishing. This year i got a boat and what it does is save a bit of time faffing it means with the depth finder you see just how shallow it is around some islands , What it doesn't do is take away the skills we have built up over the last 4 decades .

I would rather be part of the highly skilled spod army, than a no skill involved bait boat navy boy. 8)

Would using a boat take those skills away from you, ? me and my fishing buddy have both fished for well over 40 years , i would say our casting skills are pretty good we don't fish huge waters and casting to lilly's islands ect is part of our every day fishing. This year i got a boat and what it does is save a bit of time faffing it means with the depth finder you see just how shallow it is around some islands , What it doesn't do is take away the skills we have built up over the last 4 decades .

Oh no, not a depth finder. Now that's definitely cheating :wink::P

Personally, I think each to their own. If you want to use a bait boat then, as long as you don't use it outside the confines of your swim, then that's fine.

However, I do believe that no matter how much experience you have, if you start using a bait boat constantly then your casting skills will suffer. Casting is something that needs to be practised / done to ensure that you stay on the top of your game IMHO (I don't mean if you go for a few sessions without casting; but if you went a season using only the bait boat then your casting wouldn't be as good and would need a few sessions to get back to your best).

this thread comes up allot and always goes around the same circle .

I have personally never used one or thought about buying one ... But at the end of the day people have rowed baits out buy hand since carp fishing began it's just a modern take on it , and as most lakes don't allow you out in boats these days (probably due to insurance purposes ) It's another tool in the armoury if you wish to buy one.

There's always going to be idiots who take the mick but they would probably be exactly the same with rod and line in there hand rather than a boat controller . Definite each to there own from me :wink:

France 2013 . normal rod first three days , one 22lb mirror , bait boat catches on two rods ,39 mirror ,30 mirror, 26 mirror, 36 mirror 29 mirror,28 mirror 28 mirror 48 mirror 25 mirror , 28 mirror.

I caught 4 fish on the same lake last year without a bait boat, on a 10 acre pit. I watched my bait boat buddies rip it apart. I relied on my skill and god like spod and marker abilities.

Numpties can catch too. I used a bait boat and didn't care at all.A further 8 fish came to 42lb , on the bait boat.

160yrds out , clear patch of weed , marked then spodded and then cast out to the same spot on the bait , carry on lads. Real anglers , it's all about keeping it real , until the carp mags tell you different.

Oh no, not a depth finder. Now that's definitely cheating :wink::P

Personally, I think each to their own. If you want to use a bait boat then, as long as you don't use it outside the confines of your swim, then that's fine.

However, I do believe that no matter how much experience you have, if you start using a bait boat constantly then your casting skills will suffer. Casting is something that needs to be practised / done to ensure that you stay on the top of your game IMHO (I don't mean if you go for a few sessions without casting; but if you went a season using only the bait boat then your casting wouldn't be as good and would need a few sessions to get back to your best).

I love this argument , what casting skills? ten hanging boilies on the over hanging tree 15 yards to the right ? or maybe hitting the marker at 180 , because that is the only place the fish are? It doesn't stop you casting if you use a bait boat and you don't need to use them all the time , don't be silly. The casting / it ain't proper argument always comes from them that have never used them , I know this because , once I was like you.Cast to the fish or row to the fish or bait boat to the fish , you have got to be in the right place to catch them , however you do it.

I love this argument , what casting skills? ten hanging boilies on the over hanging tree 15 yards to the right ? or maybe hitting the marker at 180 , because that is the only place the fish are? It doesn't stop you casting if you use a bait boat and you don't need to use them all the time , don't be silly. The casting / it ain't proper argument always comes from them that have never used them , I know this because , once I was like you.Cast to the fish or row to the fish or bait boat to the fish , you have got to be in the right place to catch them , however you do it.

You have totally misunderstood or misconstrued what I have said.

Firstly, I have made no argument against using bait boats at all, nor have I said that it isn't proper. In fact, my first sentence shows the complete opposite. Each to their own. If someone wants to use a bait boat I have no issues at all with it.

Secondly, I also never implied that if you use a bait boat you don't cast and using the bait boat is all you do.

Finally, I merely pointed out that if you were to only use a bait boat for a season (A hypothetical situation) then your casting accuracy would be affected and it would take a couple of sessions of casting again to get that accuracy back.

I've now owned my bait boat for over a year and used it once. I still blanked.

I lent it to Dan Plowman for a few days earlier this year. He blanked, too.

They aren't some mystical fish-catching device, they're tools for placing things where you believe they should be placed.

Dan and I obviously believed incorrectly.

Ian

Probably my biggest pet hate for bait boats is down to ignorant anglers using them:

Posted: 18th Nov 2013 10:32 Post subject:

To the 2 anglers who showed great disrespect to others on Melton lake this weekend.

Firstly you set up without checking where others were fishing, and your casting came very close to 2 others people who were already fishing. Then on Saturday night, running your bait boat up and down the lake was taking the pee, especially when it appeared that you sent your end tackle out 3 quarters of the way up the lake out past the 2 original anglers you upset, and then towards where a 3rd was fishing.

You are just ignorant and should not be fishing...

Sad thing is that my spot was approximately halfway along the lake. The anglers set up right at the left hand end, and decided to bait up and fish directly in front of me.

Now I had chosen my swim for a couple of reasons, one being the island in front, and also a gravel bar that runs pretty much along parallel to it.

The two anglers decided that they would also like to place a bait to the island, which meant that they were casting (or bait boating) baits halfway along it in front of me.

I agree that on many lakes that swims are at fault, but at the same time, on this lake, if they had stuck to an area in front of them, from say the margins to 60metres maybe a bit more, they would have been no trouble.

Oh and not forgetting that the end of the island, was in fact only about 30metres in front of them and slightly to their left

It's the same as most methods .... Right time, right place etc

A bait boat is another string to the carp anglers bow , if he/she chooses to use one!

But even then you have to use it properly, and still manoeuvre it into the correct position etc there are no wonder methods lol

I think most problems with bait boats occur on busy waters due to inconsiderate users! Shame because they are useful at times!

It's the same as most methods .... Right time, right place etc

A bait boat is another string to the carp anglers bow , if he/she chooses to use one!

But even then you have to use it properly, and still manoeuvre it into the correct position etc there are no wonder methods lol

I think most problems with bait boats occur on busy waters due to inconsiderate users! Shame because they are useful at times!

Mate, this wasn't busy!

There were 3 anglers on the lake when these 2 turned up. A lake that is only around 2 acres, yet can hold probably 12 anglers sensibly fishing in front of them. This would give the anglers on both sides the chance to fish up to the island, and the end anglers still to be able to fish the margins (as you could in many swims as well) with no disturbance.

I think that into this we bring in etiquette in carp fishing. Ignorance all around seems to be the norm with no consideration of not disturbing other anglers or upsetting their fishing as well.

You have totally misunderstood or misconstrued what I have said.

Firstly, I have made no argument against using bait boats at all, nor have I said that it isn't proper. In fact, my first sentence shows the complete opposite. Each to their own. If someone wants to use a bait boat I have no issues at all with it.

Secondly, I also never implied that if you use a bait boat you don't cast and using the bait boat is all you do.

Finally, I merely pointed out that if you were to only use a bait boat for a season (A hypothetical situation) then your casting accuracy would be affected and it would take a couple of sessions of casting again to get that accuracy back.

I don't think you understood what I said either , mmm. I never said you were against bait boats .I said you don't have to use bait boats all the time and if you did use it for a season you would 'forget the skill of casting' is still silly and does suggest that you are against bait boats , you don't have one or do you? I agree your first sentence says one thing , but your next paragraph has allowed me to misconstrue you horribly.

Much has been made of swim disturbance , ok , place bait and rig in boat , fire boat out to position A , push lever ,job done,

Cast your marker float everywhere , stack your buckets nice and high and spod spod spod spod spod spod spod Ad infinitum and then cast out your rod , then after a little bit , spod spod spod spod. Them bait boats don't seem to disturb the water as much, do they?

They aren't some mystical fish-catching device, they're tools for placing things where you believe they should be placed.

Ian

If you had blanked once with a rod with 50mm butt ring or blanked the first time you used a hair rig ,fake corn ,pop up or boilie or delkim alarms or sat in a bivvy for one night , what honestly would be the point or relevance or sense in this kind of argument, and would you have even bothered to post it?

Ian

If you had blanked once with a rod with 50mm butt ring or blanked the first time you used a hair rig ,fake corn ,pop up or boilie or delkim alarms or sat in a bivvy for one night , what honestly would be the point or relevance or sense in this kind of argument, and would you have even bothered to post it?

Erm, while not wishing to speak in Ians defence- I'm sure he's quite capable of doing that himself, I fear you have missed the point he was trying to make.

I've never owned a bait boat, and most likely never will. Reason being I love casting, and as a typical lazy carper, I don't do it very much.

Ian

Erm, while not wishing to speak in Ians defence- I'm sure he's quite capable of doing that himself, I fear you have missed the point he was trying to make.

I've never owned a bait boat, and most likely never will. Reason being I love casting, and as a typical lazy carper, I don't do it very much.

Thanks Bones. "And some fell on stony ground...........". :wink:

Ian

Lol , I didn't miss the point :) I know what he is saying but the argument here is that one way is ,erm , keeping it real, while other ways are not.

To sum it up , in one trip you can place a marker and be 100% certain the free baits and the hook bait are together in one trip ,and despite some anglers lacking etiquette with boats , they pale into insignificance , compared to the bivvy mallet , Blackpool illuminations with beers , dope , I love me telly/radio me, camouflaged proper carper tackle tarts who buy/use any tosh they read about in the endless publications that have to print something/anything to sell useless technological and essential tackle items and methods.