Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
nathanhuynh

bait boats...why?

Lol , I didn't miss the point :) I know what he is saying but the argument here is that one way is ,erm , keeping it real, while other ways are not.

To sum it up , in one trip you can place a marker and be 100% certain the free baits and the hook bait are together in one trip ,and despite some anglers lacking etiquette with boats , they pale into insignificance , compared to the bivvy mallet , Blackpool illuminations with beers , dope , I love me telly/radio me, camouflaged proper carper tackle tarts who buy/use any tosh they read about in the endless publications that have to print something/anything to sell useless technological and essential tackle items and methods.

Perhaps its me then, but I'm completely missing your point now

Lol , I didn't miss the point :) I know what he is saying but the argument here is that one way is ,erm , keeping it real, while other ways are not.

To sum it up , in one trip you can place a marker and be 100% certain the free baits and the hook bait are together in one trip ,and despite some anglers lacking etiquette with boats , they pale into insignificance , compared to the bivvy mallet , Blackpool illuminations with beers , dope , I love me telly/radio me, camouflaged proper carper tackle tarts who buy/use any tosh they read about in the endless publications that have to print something/anything to sell useless technological and essential tackle items and methods.

If English is not your first language I could understand .I'm guessing that you are being facetious.

I don't think you understood what I said either , mmm. I never said you were against bait boats .I said you don't have to use bait boats all the time and if you did use it for a season you would 'forget the skill of casting' is still silly and does suggest that you are against bait boats , you don't have one or do you? I agree your first sentence says one thing , but your next paragraph has allowed me to misconstrue you horribly.

Much has been made of swim disturbance , ok , place bait and rig in boat , fire boat out to position A , push lever ,job done,

Cast your marker float everywhere , stack your buckets nice and high and spod spod spod spod spod spod spod Ad infinitum and then cast out your rod , then after a little bit , spod spod spod spod. Them bait boats don't seem to disturb the water as much, do they?

You have misconstrued what I have said again.

To answer your first point, I do not have a bait boat. The waters that I am currently fishing are not big enough to warrant the financial outlay of a bait boat. If I were fishing big pits or the like, I would save some cash and get a bait boat as they can be a valuable tool in the arsenal.

Where you have woefully misconstrued what I say is by implying that I said if you only use a bait boat for a season you would 'forget the skill of casting'. I never said this, nor implied it. I said that you would lose 'some of your accuracy', massive difference.

Casting is something that needs practice to keep at the top of your game, much like a lot of things in life. By not doing it, you would not forget the skill, but you would not be as competent straight away after not casting for a season.

This is the same for pretty much any hobby. Practice makes perfect, if you stop practising for any length of time then you will lose a little proficiency.

If English is not your first language I could understand .I'm guessing that you are being facetious.

Not facetious at all, far from it and my English is excellent- I'm meticulous about it, as can be seen in my posts.

Misunderstandings of both intent and any sub text are easy in forums such as this, but I genuinely did not understand the point you were trying to make.

I'm an atheist, so I agree that bait boats are definitely not the Anti Christ, because "he" doesn't exist.

If your point is that bait boats are a tool like any other, to be used appropriately and with consideration, then I totally agree. This I think, was also Ians point.

Isn't this all getting a bit silly now?

Anti Christ? Keeping it real? Does anybody really care?

I own a bait boat and will use it as and when I feel that it will help me in my endeavours which, so far, has been once. My allotted swim at a social at Cromwell Lake was very pretty and well sheltered but surrounded by tree overhangs so I got the boat. Fat lot of good it did me. I blanked but so did everybody else...........

Bait boats have a tainted reputation for the reasons that Nick and others have pointed out. Principally, inconsiderate use in relation to other anglers. It's for this reason that I was almost reluctant to buy mine...I had no wish to be regarded as "A bait boat user....". I'm an angler who owns a bait boat, is all.

I doubt if I'll ever use it as an alternative to casting, I enjoy casting. It's very good cardio vascular exercise. Which is good, apparently.....

Ian

Isn't this all getting a bit silly now?

Anti Christ? Keeping it real? Does anybody really care?

I own a bait boat and will use it as and when I feel that it will help me in my endeavours which, so far, has been once. My allotted swim at a social at Cromwell Lake was very pretty and well sheltered but surrounded by tree overhangs so I got the boat. Fat lot of good it did me. I blanked but so did everybody else...........

Bait boats have a tainted reputation for the reasons that Nick and others have pointed out. Principally, inconsiderate use in relation to other anglers. It's for this reason that I was almost reluctant to buy mine...I had no wish to be regarded as "A bait boat user....". I'm an angler who owns a bait boat, is all.

I doubt if I'll ever use it as an alternative to casting, I enjoy casting. It's very good cardio vascular exercise. Which is good, apparently.....

Ian

I think bait boats bad reputation has little to do with inconsiderate use , as I tried to point out earlier , I can think of a hundred different inconsideration's from other carp anglers on any given water , what is silly ,is the massive generalisations that consistent or otherwise use of a bait boat is somehow detrimental to any other skills you may have.

I don't think you understood what I said either , mmm. I never said you were against bait boats .I said you don't have to use bait boats all the time and if you did use it for a season you would 'forget the skill of casting' is still silly and does suggest that you are against bait boats , you don't have one or do you? I agree your first sentence says one thing , but your next paragraph has allowed me to misconstrue you horribly.

Much has been made of swim disturbance , ok , place bait and rig in boat , fire boat out to position A , push lever ,job done,

Cast your marker float everywhere , stack your buckets nice and high and spod spod spod spod spod spod spod Ad infinitum and then cast out your rod , then after a little bit , spod spod spod spod. Them bait boats don't seem to disturb the water as much, do they?

You have misconstrued what I have said again.

To answer your first point, I do not have a bait boat. The waters that I am currently fishing are not big enough to warrant the financial outlay of a bait boat. If I were fishing big pits or the like, I would save some cash and get a bait boat as they can be a valuable tool in the arsenal.

Where you have woefully misconstrued what I say is by implying that I said if you only use a bait boat for a season you would 'forget the skill of casting'. I never said this, nor implied it. I said that you would lose 'some of your accuracy', massive difference.

Casting is something that needs practice to keep at the top of your game, much like a lot of things in life. By not doing it, you would not forget the skill, but you would not be as competent straight away after not casting for a season.

This is the same for pretty much any hobby. Practice makes perfect, if you stop practising for any length of time then you will lose a little proficiency.

So despite not actually owning a bait boat you have formed an opinion , unbalanced and purely based on assumptions , mmm. A small point but one you have missed , bait boats are not only used for distance fishing , if you owned one you would know this.

I said in my reply that I had misconstrued you horribly.

However, I do believe that no matter how much experience you have, if you start using a bait boat constantly then your casting skills will suffer.

That is where I misunderstood you and admitted It .Apologies.

As I said, the constant spodding and feature searching is much more annoying than a bait boat , why ? because 90% of carp anglers just cannot do it.

the massive generalisations that consistent or otherwise use of a bait boat is somehow detrimental to any other skills you may have.

im not saying having a bait boat equals no skills...but as a society, technology is responsible for the loss of skills, the list is getting longer of skills being lost......so in a way ......yes ...baitboats are detrimental to angling skills :lol::lol::lol::lol::wink:

the massive generalisations that consistent or otherwise use of a bait boat is somehow detrimental to any other skills you may have.

im not saying having a bait boat equals no skills...but as a society, technology is responsible for the loss of skills, the list is getting longer of skills being lost......so in a way ......yes ...baitboats are detrimental to angling skills :lol::lol::lol::lol::wink:

:) Yes , possibly. Although, I sometimes think that (as has been said on the forum many times) a lot of 'new' carp ideas are old methods given a new twist.

I do see spodding as a' skill' that is tried by many and poorly executed. The dreaded baitboat (I suppose) is no different out in the water than say a swan cruising along, that is to say, it is fairly innocuous in truth. A marker , bait and end rig can all be deployed in one trip.Technology can be seen as a lack of skills or a convenience I guess , interesting point though. Alarms , chemically sharpened hooks , low memory sinking monofilament ,braid and ready made boilies/pellets.This is good technology?

I think the casting to a place where the fish are, and the alternative placing of a bait, via a boat, still involves watercraft skills. No one cares about the 'lost' skill of trying to cast with a fibreglass rod and Mitchell reel. The technology used in todays modern rods and reels means a lack of back winding skills are required and often mean more fish are landed, and the technology of end tackle and fish care has helped the welfare of the fish. So , two sides to the coin , I guess.

I made the comment on the Etiquette, to do with horses thread, but it is just as valid on here.

Another water is now likely to have a bait boat ban down to the ignorance of anglers.

That angler ignorance is what creates the bad feeling in most cases between the use and not of bait boats.

The same as mobile phones and texting are detrimental!

I use a mobile phone to talk to people but do not text or open a text sent to me!

I always get annoyed when my son texts my wife and her to him by saying if you can't speak to each other you can't have much to say.

Or am I a miserable old git.

If it was not for technology we would not be here on this forum.

So I think it is just a case of accepting technology.

And yes forums get abused as bait boats do

It seems to me that those that dont want the boats think either conciously or unconciously that they are in some sort of competition with other anglers, and not the fish, and therefore feel they are being put at some sort of disadvantage if another angler is using one.

I see the same or similar arguments that were put forward when electronic fish finders came into use in game angling in the U.S., back in the day.

All I can say is get a grip lads and look hard at the real underlying reasons for your attitudes.

Mind you if the angler using the boat, radio controlled or manually rowed, behaves like a real numpty with their bait placement, then the individual angler should be firmly given the option of mending their ways, or being shown the door.

Just because one angler is a total tit, the method shouldnt be banned or even criticised.

Go in that direction, and we would still be margin fishing with built cane rods, using Centrepins, with our hooks totally enclosed in flavoured breadpaste, or par boiled potatoes.

Because everything that has come along after those methods, has been seen as an "unfair advantage" by the same competative minority, and loudly denegrated, (in print in those days), to get those that use such dastardly devices such as Hair rigs, Fixed spool reels, and Carbon rods banned from the complainers particular piece of watery heaven.

BOF :wink: