Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Phil

stuttery takes / line bites

Hi all, can I pick your brains?

On a recent session I was suffering the annoying problem of stuttery takes. I was fishing running leads on large run rings, with 10" Stripteaze hooklengths with one inch stripped back near the hook. Baits were cast tight to an island, lines sunk and semi slack with lightweight bugs.

I landed a few and they were well hooked, but it seemed as if the fish were not running with the baits, which were then aborting the take.

Im thinking that a semi fixed lead setup might have helped, or maybe just a shorter hooklength?

What are you thougts?

Sounds like they are getting away with it, i would try a semi fixed lead, inline lead, that way the fish are met with the full resistance of the lead when they pick the bait up. Mind you saying that, make sure your hooks are razor sharp as well.

Twas my thinking too (after I'd packed up lol). I know the hooks were ok, I changed them twice times and each was polished up.

Do you think I would be better tightening up to the lead or still fishing slack?

Twas my thinking too (after I'd packed up lol). I know the hooks were ok, I changed them twice times and each was polished up.

Do you think I would be better tightening up to the lead or still fishing slack?

As long as no snags about, totally slacken the line, with indicators at maximum drop.

You had some runs and landed some, so you obviously got part of it right. It could be that you had a couple of liners, and with the semi-slack lines got indication at the rod end

One thing that I've noticed is that the carp themselves do tend to have a slightly smaller mouth than fish from other waters. I did wonder if a smaller bait might have made a difference.

I was fishing within inches of an island, using single baits at range. Took 4 fish in 7 hours, but I know there were more holding up on the sheltered side of the island. Need to get back there and get this sussed!

Thanks.

Im with Nige, if your baiting isn't enough, or correct, they dont feed confidently.

I used to fish 8mm halibut pellets on a certain water, and everytime i put a small mesh bag of pellets out with the hook, i only hooked 50% of the bites.

And then, the bites i did manage to hook i lost EVERY single fish, they just kept dropping off the hook... I just couldn't get my head around it.

Then someone off here advised me to bait abit more heavily, so I switched to solid bags which had alot more loose feed, and I then went on to have such an improved catch rate, plus, I didn't lose a single fish... On exactly the same rig!

Ross

Alright mate, if your fishing tight too an island theirs obviously nowhere for the carp too run and take line except towards you,left or right, so my advice would be too hit these finicky bites earlier it has worked for me a few times. Ive had one bleep the tip has moved slightly and ive hit into the fish basically striking as if you were legering or float fishing. Just a thought :)

What size lead are you using? What's the bottom your fishing over?

If its light leads and the fish is bolting side ways then that could be your problem, try increasing the weight and shortening the hook length.