Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
gavinbarry

Casting / fishing distance

What is your average casting/fishing distance?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What is your average casting/fishing distance?

• 10-20 yards
    • 20-30 yards
    • 30-40 yards
    • 40-50 yards
    • 50-60 yards
    • 60-80 yards
    • 0-10 yards
    • 80-100yards
    • 100yards+

When I am allowed 3 rods I usually fish both the margins, medium and long distance. Only reason for the long distance is an inviting island. Then, I suppose it's still the margins so to speak.

Longest chuck for me would be about 80 to 90 yds. I don't fish any water where that would be exceeded.

If circumstances prevail, all rods might only be cast much shorter distances. Too many anglers feel that if there is plenty of open water, they have to launch a bait to the far horizon. It may work on some waters, but it aint always the case.

To sum up.......I hope to cast to where the fish are and so that might be an underarm lob, a meduim distance directly over the head job (for accuracy) or a rip roaring, over the shoulder, near rod breaking cast.

When I am allowed 3 rods I usually fish both the margins, medium and long distance. Only reason for the long distance is an inviting island. Then, I suppose it's still the margins so to speak.

Longest chuck for me would be about 80 to 90 yds. I don't fish any water where that would be exceeded.

If circumstances prevail, all rods might only be cast much shorter distances. Too many anglers feel that if there is plenty of open water, they have to launch a bait to the far horizon. It may work on some waters, but it aint always the case.

To sum up.......I hope to cast to where the fish are and so that might be an underarm lob, a meduim distance directly over the head job (for accuracy) or a rip roaring, over the shoulder, near rod breaking cast.

ditto :D thanks grubby, saved me some typing there :wink:

Guest Anonymous

I don't quite know what to vote for... I fish 2 rods, I always fish 1 in the margins & the other further out :?

I don't quite know what to vote for... I fish 2 rods, I always fish 1 in the margins & the other further out :?

cheat. vote twice :)

Depends on the Water, where the Fish are located and the features.

I suppose for the last 10years much of my Casting has been to a maximum of 70metres, although there have been times when I have needed to go to about 120metres (in a Particular swim at the 167acre Reservoir).

My Largest Carp came from a Bait that was lowered into the water, not even cast in, just lowered.

I reckon the majority of the Carp I have caught have come from a range of about 40metres. Island Margins, Gravel Bars, Weedbeds, Snags or even where I felt the Depth was right for Carp to be feeding

At my current lake its about 90 - 120 which I cant vote for?

This is the first lake where I have encountered this.

I'd vote for margin as my most productive area from the past on a number of waters. But again I cant vote for that coz I'm talking 1-3 yards out, and you've not covered it in the votes.

i cast any distance i think i need to catch

but i dont measure the distance so i dont know, but as a average it must be low as i fish the margin more than i go for a longcast. so 35yds :? at most as a average distance

My Largest Carp came from a Bait that was lowered into the water, not even cast in, just lowered.

Ditto, also my wifes pb tench of 8 1/2lb was caught in the same manner.

Guest Anonymous

Ditto, also my wifes pb tench of 8 1/2lb was caught in the same manner.

So was my pb tench. Well just a slight flick, 8 yards out max.

I put 20-30 yards as my club waters are only small. Thing is i fished this weekend with someone using 12 foot 3.5lb TC Greys Prodigys and Daiwa Emcast big pits. Considering he was fishing at 30 yards max, i thought this was a bit of a overkill.

Guest Anonymous
I put 20-30 yards as my club waters are only small. Thing is i fished this weekend with someone using 12 foot 3.5lb TC Greys Prodigys and Daiwa Emcast big pits. Considering he was fishing at 30 yards max, i thought this was a bit of a overkill.

If ever your mate want's to borrow some lighter gear I've got a pair of 12'9" Tournament beachcasters with Daiwa turbo multiplyers with 60lb leader :wink::lol:

If ever your mate want's to borrow some lighter gear I've got a pair of 12'9" Tournament beachcasters with Daiwa turbo multiplyers with 60lb leader :wink::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Kind of a difficult one to answer if you ask me.

If I fish my day ticket lake I fish to the far bank, If I fish a big lake I like to lob it out a bit. I enjoy a lengthy cast but always try and remember the margins on either the near bank or the far bank.

One thing I do enjoy is catching a fish at range, more fun reeling them in!

NitroNick

I'm pleased to see that many of you fish the margin. It's the one feature that ALL waters have. All of my better fish have been taken within almost arms reach, I 've actually watched bait taken in 10 inches of water, under my nose...it's an exciting way of catching.

Ian