New Reels

Hello

I am looking at getting some new reels this year as i am looking to upgrade and get some better ones, i currently have 2x shimano baitrunner dl 6000 ra, but dont find they have enough reeling power.

I am looking to spend up to around £60-80 per reel, only need 2 atm. I was just wondering whether anyone has a suggestion on a pair of decent reels. I have been looking at the daiwa crosscast but dont know if there are any good for the money or whether there is anything better for that price range.

thanks

Guest Nhawkeye

I know that TFG is not everyone's cup of tea, but, the TFG Big Pit Reel is a cracking bit of kit. I don't own the reels myself, but, one of my mates had a take on his other rod, and I was impressed with how smooth the clutch was and how easily it handled a good fish.

Of course I had a bit of a play with the reel afterwards. The line lay is excellent, the retrieve is very quick and overall the reel feels solid, even bomb proof. At less than £60, you can't go wrong!

I'll be honest, if I had not already had my Shimano XT's, I had have bought a set of TFG Big Pits myself.

hi

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have just seen that a good reel for that price is the Mitchell Avocast 7000, what do people think to this reel is it a good buy or is there better out there.

When you say TFG big pit which one are you on about the V10 or max power, im guessing v10 as they are more expensive.

Has anyone got any other suggestion as i wanna make sure i get the right ones.

thanks

thanks

just being reading some reviews on the v10 and it seems like people have had problems with them especially the clutch. Are there any other reels worth looking at or am i better of looking at used reels

Does anyone have any experience using the mitchell avocast 7000 reels as i heard theses are good for the money, but looking for some more input on them.

Thanks

You could go up to 10000's - I've only had 6 different types of baitrunners, (3 being Shimanos) and the best of the lot hands down are the xte-a 10000. Though out of production I bought one for my friend last year on fleabay for around 70 of your pounds, (like new with great line too).

Edit: I won that auction for 62.10, as a result of some very clever bidding, if I do say so myself. With postage to Canada it was 72 something.

Biomasters are great reels for the price. I have one on my marker rod and would have no qualms fishing with it.

A friend of mine bought the Daiwa Crosscast and took it back as it was so poorly made and flimsy. Unless you can pick up something second hand (which is no problem if they have been looked after) you might look at the Daiwa Windcast Z, they cost a bit more than your budget but I found them well engineered with a very smooth clutch. They are not baitrunners, but quick drag system is easy to get on with.

I'm usually very wary of suggesting what I own, but I upgraded from some second hand Shimmy baitrunners and love them.

I was looking at the crosscast but not sure whether it a good buy, as i havent heard great review like you have said.

What biomaster are you on about, i think they are a little out of my price range.

Can anyone recommend any other big pits for around £60-80

thanks

Thanks for the suggestion i had a look at the linked reel and noticed it only has 1 x Shielded stainless steel bearing and 1 x Roller bearing, does it still have a smooth clutch.

What other options are there out there for my price range as i will be looking to buy a set of reel soon.

thanks

I am stuck between the crosscast and the mitchell avocast 7000.

Mitchell Avocast 7000 features

-Ratio 4.2 1

-Capacity 270m / 0.35mm

-Recovery 0.86m

-Bearing 6 and 1

-Spool Aluminium

-Solid bail lock for distance casting

-Large tapered long cast spool

-Quick drag spool perfect for carp fishing

-Super slow oscillation for near perfect line lay

-Large power handle to provide winching power

Crosscast:

-Air Bail on X model

-Quick Drag on X model

-High Impact Line Clip on X

-DigiGear

-Twistbuster

-Infinite Anti Reverse

-T Shaped Handle Knob

-Cross Wrap

-Advanced Locomotive Level Wind

-Machined cut Aluminium Handle on X model

-Aluminium Spool (spare supplied with X model)

-Ratio 5.1 : 1

-Weight 21.5oz

-Line Capacity 360m 14lb.

I not sure with one to go for i have heard some great review on the avocast on another forum, and have heard good about the crosscast along with a few bad. Is the crosscast worth the extra £30 over the mitchell.

thanks

One of those questions that end of the day only you will be able to answer,any chance of going to your local tackle shop and comparing.If it's any consolation i did a lot of soul searching and umming and ahhing before buying............jesus they replaced my prized Cardinal 55's so i must have seen something in them

So it wont be worth spending the extra to get the x, as i have seen you can do a simple mod without any damaging the reel, by just remove a spring under the cap it become Quick drag.

If that is the only difference and the performance is the same would the crosscast s be a good choice over the mitchell avocast 7000.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...