Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
newmarket

Solids & leads....

Evening gentlemen , quick question for you all .

In your mostly humble opinions , is it IMPERATIVE to use an inline lead system when fishing solid bags ? ......or is it not strictly neccessary ?

Looking forward to a good discussion

Evening gentlemen , quick question for you all .

In your mostly humble opinions , is it IMPERATIVE to use an inline lead system when fishing solid bags ? ......or is it not strictly neccessary ?

Looking forward to a good discussion

I don't think it is. A pendant set-up can be used just as well, either with the rig inside or even coming out the top of the bag

Thanks for your views fellas , i use pendants myself but i have been a teensy weensy bit paranoid about how my hooklength sits on the bottom after the pva melts .

To be honest i havent been using solid bags because of this although i would like to on one rod at least just to experiment.

when using either inline or pendant style in solid bag I would recommend using a ring swivel instead of a standard swivel. That way no matter how the lead is sitting after the bag has broken down, the flexibility means that your hookling (must be supple) is lying well.

That is a very good point phil , i always attach my hooklinks with a large kwik-link for that very reason but the addition of a ring swivel could well help even more .

Thanks i'll take that on board the next chance i get.

That is a very good point phil , i always attach my hooklinks with a large kwik-link for that very reason but the addition of a ring swivel could well help even more .

Thanks i'll take that on board the next chance i get.

I tend to use a pendant set-up with standard swivel and combi rigs or coated braided hooklinks, but with the combi rigs, always create a large loop knot.

This whole 'solid bag' thing is quite funny, I take a year out from fishing and come back to find the carp world going made for the humble pva bag thats been around for years now rebranded as 'Solidz" like its some super new secret way of catching carp, yet those of us who fish how we want and are individually minded within our fishing and not following every trend doing the rounds in the angling press would already have used this method with success long before these dull and repetitive, hot off the press articles hit the coffee tables of the nation's tackle tart wannabes who've all the gear but no idea and moronically taking every word as gospel and seemingly think every carp and lake are one in the same and obvious has to be approached with whatever the bloke on those glossy pages is doing

I'm sure if the like Dazza Fairbrass did a spoof article about the wonders of the hookless choddy or the reverse pop up whereby you use a popped up weight but 3oz boilie you'd have plenty of fools going it a go

[/rant]

What new trend is doing the rounds now then Mr Devon? Is it still the slack line small bobbin or have we gone full circle back to the tight lines direct to a heavy lead?

The OP posted about using inline leads in SOLID bags it was not a direct advert for Kordas Solidz (renamed and rebranded) version of a solid bag. Whatever caused you to have a rant must have struck a Kord (see what I did there).

I always fish with a freelined par boiled potato because I dont want to be a moron.

I was watching the free dvd that was stuck on the front of the fishtec catalogue and watched marc Coulson tie up some solid bags. He had green sticks in all his pre tied bags. I normally use a short length of lead core leader about 8 inches (I take the lead bit out first) but these sticks save all that hassle. I went to Banks and Burrs and found them under the Avid stuff. I can now tie up at least 15 pre tied bags which is great for the day ticket venues I normally travel to.

My point being that I saw it and decided to give it a go. If they help me land a few more fish then great. Dont knock the advice you get from articles, sometimes it helps.