Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  

OK Forum experts, I want to make an investment in some new rods. I have some very good 2.75Ib TC rods which I use for most of my fishing, but I want to tackle a few larger waters in the coming year which may require something more suited to distance casting. I am thinking of 3.0-3.25Ib TC with a nice playing action. Thinking of up to £200 per rod. Maybe more if there is a good case. Just want a few ideas of what people have found good.

Cheers.

I have some very nice 2.75's too and I fish a few lakes and res's upto 70 acres. I can hit 120 yards give or take a few in good conditions. I would ask yourself do you really need new rods if your happy with what you have. if you do want some new best thing to do is go and find a local dealer and have a look and play with a few sets with your reels on them.

I have some very nice 2.75's too and I fish a few lakes and res's upto 70 acres. I can hit 120 yards give or take a few in good conditions. I would ask yourself do you really need new rods if your happy with what you have. if you do want some new best thing to do is go and find a local dealer and have a look and play with a few sets with your reels on them.

Cheers, that's a good point and I would agree if my casting technique was as good as yours. I find it hard to hit over 90 yards and thought that a stiffer blank would get me a few more yards if necessary. maybe I need to practise a bit more before lashing out an unnecessary small fortune. :wink:

thinking about it. maybe its not all down to your abilities with casting it could be any manner of things like your reels are not up to the job or even just you spools are they carrying enough line or the wrong size/weight lead.. I would really look into everything first. if all fails get some nice shiny new rods :D

Cheers, that's a good point and I would agree if my casting technique was as good as yours. I find it hard to hit over 90 yards and thought that a stiffer blank would get me a few more yards if necessary. maybe I need to practise a bit more before lashing out an unnecessary small fortune. :wink:

What reels do you have?

I have got 10000 size baitrunners on my 2.75's and I can't get much more than 90metres with 15lb line.

Yet change the reels to my older Aerlex's and the distance goes up to over 110metres.

What reels do you have?

I have got 10000 size baitrunners on my 2.75's and I can't get much more than 90metres with 15lb line.

Yet change the reels to my older Aerlex's and the distance goes up to over 110metres.

I have Windcast Z 5500 LDs loaded with 14Ib Subline. I can get 100 yards with a reasonable sized lead but that is flat out. I just think that I may need to get a bit further on a larger water than I fish at present. It's not desperate and I'll certainly fish the waters with the gear that I've got before I make any decisions. I have Aerlex's on my Spod and Marker. Lovely reel. rock solid.

What reels do you have?

I have Windcast Z 5500 LDs loaded with 14Ib Subline. I can get 100 yards with a reasonable sized lead but that is flat out. I just think that I may need to get a bit further on a larger water than I fish at present. It's not desperate and I'll certainly fish the waters with the gear that I've got before I make any decisions. I have Aerlex's on my Spod and Marker. Lovely reel. rock solid.

If you are going what you think is flat out, you may have a little reserve left, that technique may be able to improve.

The lead shape may make a difference, pears, distance or tournament going further than flattened shapes.

What is the diameter of Subline? The diameter I'm willing to bet is quite high, close to 0.40mm which will reduce casting distance. Switch to a lower diameter line in the same breaking strain; maybe Pro-Gold Pro-Carp or even Shimano Catana and your distances may well increase on that little 'fix'.

Alternatively, if the water is clear, weed and snag free then drop even lower and go for a shockleader, but MAKE SURE that you use a safe set-up and check your knots everytime.

What reels do you have?

If you are going what you think is flat out, you may have a little reserve left, that technique may be able to improve.

The lead shape may make a difference, pears, distance or tournament going further than flattened shapes.

What is the diameter of Subline? The diameter I'm willing to bet is quite high, close to 0.40mm which will reduce casting distance. Switch to a lower diameter line in the same breaking strain; maybe Pro-Gold Pro-Carp or even Shimano Catana and your distances may well increase on that little 'fix'.

Alternatively, if the water is clear, weed and snag free then drop even lower and go for a shockleader, but MAKE SURE that you use a safe set-up and check your knots everytime.

I think the point about the line is a good one. I'm due to respool the reels anyway as I've had this on for 18 months. How are you getting on with the Gardner Pro Carp line if you are still using it? I was thinking of giving that a go. As for shockleaders, I have one on my spod, but I have a dislike of leaders of any sort on my mainline.

But I do think there are, as you say, a few things to play around with before I lash out a lot of dollars on something I won't need.

Cheers.

What reels do you have?

I think the point about the line is a good one. I'm due to respool the reels anyway as I've had this on for 18 months. How are you getting on with the Gardner Pro Carp line if you are still using it? I was thinking of giving that a go. As for shockleaders, I have one on my spod, but I have a dislike of leaders of any sort on my mainline.

But I do think there are, as you say, a few things to play around with before I lash out a lot of dollars on something I won't need.

Cheers.

I changed the Pro Carp once last year as opposed to my usual 2 or 3 times with Sensor, and its still going strong.

15lb Pro Carp has a diameter of 0.35mm and I did check that with a set of verniers, so not as accurate as putting a micrometer on it, but close.

if youre sure you need some new rods and have a budget of £200 or a bit more per rod you could do worse than some 2nd hand Century 3.5 SP's or if you want to push the boat out get some new ones, team them up with some big spooled reels and you'll be hitting the horizon in no time, you get what you pay for and I long since gave up even bothering with other makes

Mike