Best Hooklink Braid

ghost101

Hello

What braids are you using currently whether they are coated or uncoated, especialy for fishing over weed/silt?

I am looking for a new hooklink braid, one that sinks well, and doesnt stick up in a loop etc, and is supple enough to fish over weed but stiff enough to reset it. I am currently using supernatural but i feel this is a little bit too supple to reset it self, and have tried n trap soft but found that it would loop and sit funny over the weed etc.

Has anyone gt any suggestion?

thanks

I still use dacron, just use a korda sinker half way down the length, if your worried about it looping up, to be honest its not a major concern if it does as long as the hook resets itself.

I still use dacron, just use a korda sinker half way down the length, if your worried about it looping up, to be honest its not a major concern if it does as long as the hook resets itself.

Hi

Yer i have tried using sinkers on the n trap but it still loops up a fair amount, and was wondering if they was maybe another hook lenght out there that in between supernatural and n trap soft, that is suitable for weed fishing, and reset it self .

thanks

I have used ESP Sinklink earlier. Its very supple, perhaps too supple since its prone to tangle if birds pick up and drop your bait etc. Needs PVA bags to not tangle while casting basicly. It lays good on bottom though.

My sink link is however fresh out now and I am kind of keen on trying Arma-kord due to its nice abrasion resistant properties. I have a mate whose been using it for a long time and he likes it a lot. I will also use it in the same kind of lake you mention. If I eventually choose that material that is :wink: I am also kind of keen on trying Strip Teeze.

I haven't used anything that hasn't come out of the Kryston stable for years.

Merlin, Super Silk, SuperNova, then Snakebite, Mantis and Mantis Gold.

Weed can apparently mess up many presentations, but with uncoated braids I don't think that a loose, not pulled back link feels more natural to the fish anyway, as the braid feels like the surrounding weed.

If you pull back with almost any hooklink they often loop up as well. A rub down with putty along the length tends to cure that problem :wink:

I like Merlin (25lb) for supple rigs and Snakebite for coated combi rigs, both from Kryston.

Merlin is a supple, open weave braid that is very strong and abrasion resistant. I give my Merlin rigs a rub with some softened tungsten putty to ensure they sink like a stone but remain soft and supple.

Snake bite has to be my all time favourite coated braid - the first and still the best in my opinion.

thanks for the suggestion.

the merlin and snake bite seem to come up a lot, even on other websites. What colour is the inner braid to the snake bite? is it supple but still have a little bit of stiffness to reset itself, and lastly how heavy is it, would you need sinkers on it to help pin it down

thanks

The inner core of snakebite seems to take on the colour of the coating a little. So for snake bite gold (brown in colour) the core is yellowish brown, for green snakbite it is cream/off white with a tinge of green. The core is supple but not too soft. I use steam from a kettle to straighten it and it lies lovely and flat. It does sink but I use tiny blobs of putty just to make sure. It's abrasion resistance is remarkable, especially the 25lb version (my favourite).

The inner core of snakebite seems to take on the colour of the coating a little. So for snake bite gold (brown in colour) the core is yellowish brown, for green snakbite it is cream/off white with a tinge of green. The core is supple but not too soft. I use steam from a kettle to straighten it and it lies lovely and flat. It does sink but I use tiny blobs of putty just to make sure. It's abrasion resistance is remarkable, especially the 25lb version (my favourite).

I think the inner core of Snakebite is the same as the uncoated SuperSilk, which takes on the colour of the lakebed within a short space of time

Hello

Thanks for the suggestion to use snake bite, i managed to pick some up few days ago and at first glance it looks to be what i am looking for, (although could be a little stiffer maybe) and the colour looks fairly good aswell to fish in the weed. I havent had chance to fish with it yet but hopefully over next few days i will be able to.

Do you fish it straight though, or strip a section back as it seems flexible enough to fish straight through?

thanks

Hello

Thanks for the suggestion to use snake bite, i managed to pick some up few days ago and at first glance it looks to be what i am looking for, (although could be a little stiffer maybe) and the colour looks fairly good aswell to fish in the weed. I havent had chance to fish with it yet but hopefully over next few days i will be able to.

Do you fish it straight though, or strip a section back as it seems flexible enough to fish straight through?

thanks

I strip a small section back (steam from a kettle helps to remove it cleanly) to give a supple section near the hook of about 40mm. This gives a lovely combi type link that is stiff in the "boom" section with a supple hook section. I sometimes strip or break the coating at the swivel end to create a "hinge" effect too. Great for both bottom baits and pop-ups.

In the fishing situation you describe I would use Supernova or Silkworm, they're both nice and supple, put a small PVA nugget on your hook to prevent tangles and to protect the hook point from getting masked on the landing. I am currently a big fan of Rig Marole 'hydro link', I wouldn't recommend this for weedy bottoms though, its very versatile, it has flurocarbon on the inside of the braid, you can get great 'combi' effects without the use of joining two materials.