Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
reubenmills

Pva foam/nuggets / packaging foam?

Just a quick one, but as I seem to be ploughing through the stuff on a new lake I'm fishing,I'm curious to know weather pva nuggets / rig foam is the same as the pva packaging foam? Got told by guy in fishing shop it's the same and it dissolves pretty much tthe same but last thing I want to do is use something that may harm the fish in any way , or even put them off feeding if it leaves behind a chemical / bad taste. Anyone know? Thanks.

Packing foam comes in different forms, some are polystyrene based and some are the corn nugget stuff that is sold as PVA nuggets by tackle shops or toy childrens foam from places like the Early Learning Centre.

I got some from work years ago,as everyone is saying it is used for packaging, but you sometimes get a mixture in the box, and some of the nuggets are not pva,you can see the difference when they are next to each other but I sometimes had a non pva bit sneak thru and it still had not dissolved 3 years later.!

The dissolving foam sold by tackle firms such as Solar is usually made from PVA. Some of the cheaper versions and the stuff you usually see as biodegradable packing foam is actually made from corn starch.

Both work fine for carp angling purposes but I have found the corn starch stuff to dissolve very rapidly when compared to PVA.

I LOVE the stuff! I never cast out without it. It stops tangles, prevents the hook point from fouling on the bait, prevents the hook from catching on weed and chod, allows you to "pull back" along the bottom, pops up and gives a visual marker to bait up to, etc, etc.

A fantastic idea and essential product in my opinion.

As Solar Tackle state: "takes the doubt out".

Sweet, I'll stock up on the stuff then! Have only used it sporadically in the past but fished a new lake where it's so silty you have to have something on the hook point, got thru a whole bag of the stuff on a weeks trip! Did have some good fishing tho..

Cheers for answers.

The dissolving foam sold by tackle firms such as Solar is usually made from PVA. Some of the cheaper versions and the stuff you usually see as biodegradable packing foam is actually made from corn starch.

Both work fine for carp angling purposes but I have found the corn starch stuff to dissolve very rapidly when compared to PVA.

I LOVE the stuff! I never cast out without it. It stops tangles, prevents the hook point from fouling on the bait, prevents the hook from catching on weed and chod, allows you to "pull back" along the bottom, pops up and gives a visual marker to bait up to, etc, etc.

A fantastic idea and essential product in my opinion.

As Solar Tackle state: "takes the doubt out".

The stuff from Solar isn't anything special, they just buy it in bulk from a packaging company. It isn't purpose made for fishing