Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
serbusfish

Is there anything wrong with my rig?

I was just wondering if someone wouldn't mind taking a look at my rig and tell me if im doing something wrong.

On Thursday I was having a rough day, went 5 hours without a sniff, after that I changed to the rig pictured below and had 2 bites with line being taken off the reel but for some reason lost both, the first was hooked briefly but came off, and the second one just wasnt there. Not sure if I struck too soon or what, but I figured if line was coming off the reel I should strike.

Here is the rig:

2946c380-b411-468f-929f-08d748a7ce21.jpg

Its a bright yellow pop up boilie cut in half with a 12mm halibut pellet in the middle. The hook is a size 10 with 20lb braided hook length.

As far as I know it pops up around a foot of the bed.

Here's my take on it - ( my opinion ) not sure what the tube over the eye is doing , do not see why it it there . I would do away with the pellet and just use the pop up but closer to the whipping on the hook i wouldn't use the rig ring either.

a kicker on a curve shank??? not sure if that played a part...looking at it id say that its too long and will bounce the point away as it goes to take hold, slightly short will change the angle of the point in relation to the gap....or no kicker at all with curve shanks........my opinion on curves is the need to be 4s of higher any less and it effects its hooking ratio.

the bait may sit funny as well.. the pellet may be pulling hair horizontal as the pop up each end want to float????? how did it sit, as that may effect how it gets ejected....which is when the hooking happens.

what size is your hook?

Size 10.

Here's my take on it - ( my opinion ) not sure what the tube over the eye is doing , do not see why it it there . I would do away with the pellet and just use the pop up but closer to the whipping on the hook i wouldn't use the rig ring either.

I dont know about the tubing, I purchased the hook off ebay. Well I tried boilies on their own and wasnt getting bites, I used this and got 2. I always have one rod with just a boilie and a second rod with something else. I do have other hooks without rig rings so I can try using one of those.

Try a bigger hook, longer hair, no ring, no tubing, and test your rigs in water so you know exactly how they sit :)

Ok, size 8 perhaps? I know how they sit as I tested them, they pop up around a foot off the bottom as my swivel and clip system acts as a weight.

Tubing wont help if it isnt curved. Use hooks with eye pointing downwards to gain the line aligner effect. Id say the hair is proberly too short and the rig ring too far back also i would believe a hook with straight back is to be prefered when doing anti eject rigs with rings. Like korda longshanks or similiar.

Guest Anonymous

To parphrase a spilberg classic, Your gonna need a bigger hook, fair play to ya for using barbles, there is a strange rumor going around about fish being tethered to leaders, i think they will find it's the hook they are tethered to. am i rite or am i wrong.

IMO on a lake where you class '5 hours without a sniff' as doing badly, you do not need a complex rig.

Try going back to basics. Ditch the rig ring, ditch the tubing, just a straight up knotless knot, size 6/8 hook, with the hair just long enough so the bait touches the bend of the hook. That rig will catch a fish at any water, despite what anyone says.

IMO on a lake where you class '5 hours without a sniff' as doing badly, you do not need a complex rig.

Try going back to basics. Ditch the rig ring, ditch the tubing, just a straight up knotless knot, size 6/8 hook, with the hair just long enough so the bait touches the bend of the hook. That rig will catch a fish at any water, despite what anyone says.

Wise words indeed! When I saw the pic of the rig I thought 'far too complicated'

The tubing on the hook eye provides an extension, which can be an aid in hooking fish (written about by Ken Townley years ago in his chapter about Fishing In The Jungle in Tim Paisley's Big Carp), and can be straight or curved, as per a curved shank or even a bent hook rig style kicker.

To be honest, the answer to me sounds like the fish weren't comfortable feeding in the area, and so ejected the bait or didn't take it in well enough to have a hooked fish.

More people play around with rigs trying to solve problems that don't exist than getting the fish to feed comfortably. If the fish feed comfortably and confidently, then most of the time we don't need to spend time faffing about with rigs :wink:

personally i would shorten the tubing and give it a bit more of an angle, also I would move the rig ring almost (but not quite) to the point where it will slip round the bend and mount the bait further from the bend of the hook on a longer hair,

mike

Thats quite a big bait, i would personally be using a bigger hook, size 6 maybe even a 4,like nick said the way they are feeding plays a big part as well, the only time i go smaller than a size 6 is when im surface fishing but i suppose it is down to personal preference.

mufty :)