Weed rake and dealing with heavy weed

ghost101

Hello

Now the weather has been good for a little while more and more of my local lake is getting covered in canadian pondweed and silkweed, and it getting harder to find a clear spot.

So i was planning on getting a weed rake to clear a few areas, then bait these areas with particles mix with boilies to help clear the spots that little bit better. What i was wondering is, what weed rake would be the most effiecient at cleaning out the weed, the gardner one or AI.

Also in the mean time what are the better presentation to go with when fishing in heavy weed?

thanks

You don't always need a weed rake, you can just simply put in a bit of hempseed over a few weeks, on to the same spots, the carp will soon clear the weed to get at the seed.

I have always used a solid pva bag presentation, with either lead clips or drop off inline leads. The flat inline leads sit better in the pva bag. You could also use either a pop up or a critically balanced bait, just so it'll be one of the first items to be taken.

I would say if your going to clear an area in the weed then get yourself a proper rake that you throw out , the double headed garden type .

And bear in mind you'll only clear as far as you can throw and the weed will be back in a couple of weeks :evil:

The spot i am looking to clear is just a bit too far to throw and use a telescopic rake, only real option is to get something i can cast in a few times to clear it and then i was gunna bait the spots up with particles etc, to help get it a little cleaner.

I like the look of the AI ones as they have the extra prongs that might help grab that little bit extra weed, are they better than the gardner one?

Or could i even fashion up a small homemade rake that i can cast, has anyone done this?

thanks

I would say if your going to clear an area in the weed then get yourself a proper rake that you throw out , the double headed garden type .

And bear in mind you'll only clear as far as you can throw and the weed will be back in a couple of weeks :evil:

I was very suprised how far i could throw the rake .My take on it would be clear an area where ever it may be and they will come , also it must be easier to keep an area clear when it's in front of you.

TIP - if you go for the big rake get a decent lenth of rope and tie the end to something ( bitter experiance ) :cry:

Guest Anonymous

No worries, thought you wanted it for close in, they do a 4m handle but the verity of rake heads and other tool heads they do make for nifty little bits of kit, real strong German made.

forget the weed rakes and get yourself a breakaway sea lead. they have 4 prongs that fold back in the surf. just get a cable tie to stop the arms folding out, cheeper than a weed rake :wink: . oh and make sure your geared up for it. ive snapped 50lb braid clearing weed in this way :?

Hello

Thanks for the idea, i did have a 3oz sea lead with the pongs, you just reminded me about using it, but i did find it was a bit slow as it didnt bring much weed back on very weedy areas, although this was using it on silkweed so it might be better on canadian maybe.

Surely it would be possible to get a metal handheld rake and attach a ring to it then use that to cast in, wolf garden does one that has a hole ready for a ring to go in to but it made from plastic so i dont no whether this would stand up to the pressure etc.

If your intended spots are only covered with silk weed, just fish light leads with long hook links and critically balanced baits, or solid bags. Can't see the point of raking . I fish horseshoe a lot , and that's weedy as hell, using above tactics, no problem :)

If your intended spots are only covered with silk weed, just fish light leads with long hook links and critically balanced baits, or solid bags. Can't see the point of raking . I fish horseshoe a lot , and that's weedy as hell, using above tactics, no problem :)

but he is not trying to catch bream :P:P:lol:

sorry , couldnt resist.

mufty :)

sorry , couldnt resist.

No bream in horseshoe :lol: lots of Niges though

sorry , couldnt resist.

i have never fished horseshoe, would it be worth the long trip from london mate?

mufty

sorry , couldnt resist.

i have never fished horseshoe, would it be worth the long trip from london mate?

mufty

Stoogi and I fell in love with the place at the social that was held there last year, not easy but worth it, stunning fish.

Have a look

http://www.thecarpsociety.com/

And Niges post

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53246

sorry , couldnt resist.

mufty

looks like a nice place, i like the idea of paying by the hour, i think a little trip may be in order .

mufty

Stoogi and I fell in love with the place at the social that was held there last year, not easy but worth it, stunning fish.

Have a look

http://www.thecarpsociety.com/

And Niges post

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53246

:)