Well, there I was today, happily fishing away on a local lake when two guys turned up on the opposite side. They seemed to have all the gear and apart from having a long range discussion with each other, all ok so far!

One was dressed in a camo pattern hoodie. The temperature started to rise and off came the camo jacket to reveal underneath a white t shirt that a soap powder advert would have been proud of. As if that was not enough, his mate took off his (non camo) jacket and he was wearing a flourescent red shirt.

Needless to say they both blanked!

I fish a dog walkers lake, I wear what ever I feel like. People fishing 130yards out wearing realtree make me chuckle.

That's not the correct attitude, everyone knows you'll never catch a carp unless you have camo bivvy slippers, camo reels, camo socks and camo undies on.

I know where you are coming from mate, I sit there with my real tree coat on, hiding behind the reeds just my one rod, no rod rests no alarms, and where I am sitting there is a ton of swan or goose poo. How do I know that 5 mins before I got there the swans etc weren't there flapping their wings about . I might be wrong but I think that fish are used to seeing white but what they are not used to is someone wearing hi.vis stuff(you know who they are) or banging stuff in with a mallet

I went camo mad once. Everything that I could lay my hands on was cocooned in Realtree or sniper tape - even the backs of my alarms!!

Needless to say my mate took the proverbial big time and just to prove a point he sat by his rods all day clad head to toe in yellow hi-vis waterproofs and a red and white bobble hat! He out-fished me... :oops:

I still like drab clothing and most of my kit is green (I have one winter Realtree jacket that is so warm I can't even were it when there are actually leaves on the trees!) but I don't take it too seriously nowadays. Dark, neutral colours are just as good as camo in my opinion.

The only reason I ever cammo up is to hide my self from people, not fish. Personally I find blacks to be a far superior all year round cammo. The thing I try to get away from is solid blocks of colour. And olive. IMO Olive might sound a good cammo colour, but only hides you if you are hiding in a jar of olives, and don forget to wear your red pimento hat. As for realtree, well, unless its a certain 2 week period of the year, and you are in a certain part of America, you really don't fool anyone/anything.

This old angler was walking round a lake he had never visited before and suddenly this huge carp appeared right in the margins. He had a good look and realised that it old Scruffy Tail. He had caught her on 5 different occasions until she finally died at 48 lbs.

Then he suddenly realised that he must be dead as well.

So he fondled and stroked her a bit and the pair of them continued around the lake until they came to this huge estate with 10ft high walls with razor-wire on top and beautiful matt-black gates with the sign "Carpy Heaven, please ring for attention".

So he rang the bell and was answered by a very smart-looking guy dressed from head to foot in matching camo gear, impeccably-pressed and with creases in the trousers. He said "Good Morning, Sir! How can I help? to which the old chap answered "I would like to come in and can I bring my old friend Scruffy Tail" The guy answered "Yes, but you'll have to smarten yourself up a bit, we have a strict dress code here; and No, I'm sorry but pets are not allowed".

The old chap thought about this a bit and decided to move on round the lake.

Later the pair of them reached another place, surrounded by a broken-down fence and tatty old weather-worn gates with the sign "Carpy Heaven. Please knock". Stretching into the distance he could see a series of beautiful lakes, with willow trees, lily-pads and water-irises; surrounding the lakes were bivvies, tents and make-shift shelters; anglers fishing, dogs running around and herons in the margins - all in perfect peaceful harmony.

The old chap liked the look of the place and knocked on the gates. He was answered by a guy in a scruffy old suit and baggy trousers tucked into muddy black wellies who said "Hi Mate, I'm Dick. What can I do for you?"

Anyhow, to cut it short, the old chap and Scruffy Tail were admitted and on the way in he asked Dick "What's with the place down the road, they call themselves 'Carpy-Heaven' as well." To this Dick laughed and said "That's actually 'Carpy-Hell'. The old chap asked "But aren't you worried about that"

"Do me a favour, they 'ain't fooling anyone with their dress-code etc. and anyway we don't want blokes in here who would forget an old friend. Come on, lets introduce Scruffy Tail to Clarissa.

This old angler was walking round a lake he had never visited before and suddenly this huge carp appeared right in the margins. He had a good look and realised that it old Scruffy Tail. He had caught her on 5 different occasions until she finally died at 48 lbs.

Then he suddenly realised that he must be dead as well.

So he fondled and stroked her a bit and the pair of them continued around the lake until they came to this huge estate with 10ft high walls with razor-wire on top and beautiful matt-black gates with the sign "Carpy Heaven, please ring for attention".

So he rang the bell and was answered by a very smart-looking guy dressed from head to foot in matching camo gear, impeccably-pressed and with creases in the trousers. He said "Good Morning, Sir! How can I help? to which the old chap answered "I would like to come in and can I bring my old friend Scruffy Tail" The guy answered "Yes, but you'll have to smarten yourself up a bit, we have a strict dress code here; and No, I'm sorry but pets are not allowed".

The old chap thought about this a bit and decided to move on round the lake.

Later the pair of them reached another place, surrounded by a broken-down fence and tatty old weather-worn gates with the sign "Carpy Heaven. Please knock". Stretching into the distance he could see a series of beautiful lakes, with willow trees, lily-pads and water-irises; surrounding the lakes were bivvies, tents and make-shift shelters; anglers fishing, dogs running around and herons in the margins - all in perfect peaceful harmony.

The old chap liked the look of the place and knocked on the gates. He was answered by a guy in a scruffy old suit and baggy trousers tucked into muddy black wellies who said "Hi Mate, I'm Dick. What can I do for you?"

Anyhow, to cut it short, the old chap and Scruffy Tail were admitted and on the way in he asked Dick "What's with the place down the road, they call themselves 'Carpy-Heaven' as well." To this Dick laughed and said "That's actually 'Carpy-Hell'. The old chap asked "But aren't you worried about that"

"Do me a favour, they 'ain't fooling anyone with their dress-code etc. and anyway we don't want blokes in here who would forget an old friend. Come on, lets introduce Scruffy Tail to Clarissa.

Love this. I have nothing more to add.

Ian

I have some camo clothing, but not because I feel it helps me hide from the fish. That concept had yet to take root in North America, and if truth be told, we are all having a bit of a laugh at your expense. The fact that almost all of our waters are wild, and so are the fish in them, and they've never seen a fisherman or a boilie before, and the opposite is true in the UK likely means our carp are far more naive than yours.

Mike wins Carp Tales hands down :D

I'm not one for have to be camouflaged, but I do own a pair of DPM combat trousers and a well worn DPM Combat Jacket.

The majority of my clothing is more dull and drab olive green or black combats and dark t-shirts/sweatshirts. The reason; they don't stick out, and really take some ragging when I'm undergrowth crawling.

How come match anglers always wear bright reds and blues and sit right out over the water and still catch?

Probably because they are fishing grossly overstocked ponds where the fish rely on angler's bait for their nutrition. Hunger then overrides any natural caution the carp may have...

Probably because they are fishing grossly overstocked ponds where the fish rely on angler's bait for their nutrition. Hunger then overrides any natural caution the carp may have...

Took the words right out of my mouth mate.on them places you mention you could hammer your rod rests in and still be catching 5 mins later.