Hydraulic Fracturing

Hi all I am just putting this out there but what do you all think of the possibility that Hydraulic Fracturing could soon start happening at lots more sites around the UK and the adverse affect this could have with ground water and waste water contamination, are any of you as concerned as I am that this could pollute all of our waterways but especially our spring fed lakes and ponds. Have any of you read any of the reports of this sort of thing happening in the US and Canada?

Personally, I don't think that there is enough independent, unbiased scientific evidence to say for sure what, or if, there are any real issues that we should be worried about.

That said, it is purely because of the lack of unbiased evidence that fracking shouldn't be allowed to happen wholesale.

More study is required IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

Hydraulic Fracturing or Fracking is the name for pumping water into the ground in an attempt to force gas out of the underground rock formations.

As far as I can make out, it is the same as how we get oil and gas out of underseabed rock formations. We know how carefully that has to be managed to reduce risks to the environment, yet there are still accidents.

I really would like to see some long term results from above ground experiments, but the truth is that we need the gas (apparently) to fulfil our energy needs and that need is likely to push environmental care to the background.

• 3 weeks later...