Anything will do. If you are fishing extreme range then you need something special. Spod reels can take a real hammering, s really you need a half decent big pit IMO. plenty of sub £50 ones on the market, or even cheaper second hand.

I dont fish at a huge distance so I guess I could just get another of the Regal Z4000 for spodding then?

Anything will do. If you are fishing extreme range then you need something special. Spod reels can take a real hammering, s really you need a half decent big pit IMO. plenty of sub £50 ones on the market, or even cheaper second hand.

I dont fish at a huge distance so I guess I could just get another of the Regal Z4000 for spodding then?

If your standard reels can make the distance when spodding, and you are happy with them then use them. Be aware though that spod reels really get thrown around and abused. They take great stress reeling in under pressure with a load on (even a light spod), and get covered in water and other gunk.

For my money I have stuck with Shimano 8000 Aerlex's for spodding, and although they are around 10years old now are still going strong, despite plenty of use.

Shimano now make a spod specific Aerlex model, but if the standard 8000 Aerlex is cheaper I would go for that.

Bought the avid spod reel couple of weeks ago, cracking bit of kit 8)

I'm liking Avid's range of stuff, not just the reels.

I don't spod but my marker reel is a Daiwa Regal Plus 5000BRi. A little "last year" but strong and reliable.

I use the same on my rods, had them years and see no reason to change just for the sake of it.

Ian