Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
shootingman

Am I doing this right or wrong?

When soaking hemp seed 24hrs prior to cooking, I've been advised to add a good measure of molasses, when the hemp is cooked & I rinse it wth cold water to stop the cooking process, am I not washing out the molasses. :?

I don't wash mine. All that oily goodness in the juice is gold dust!

Just soak and boil for 20 mins or so until the seeds split and you can see the white bit inside.

Keep the cooked hemp in the cooking juice until you use it...

I agree with the above, I definitely wouldn't rinse the hemp after cooking.

And molasses is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to additives.

Take a walk up the world food aisle of the supermarket, or go to the local Indian Supermarket and take your pick of the spices.

A good dousing of salt is another good additive (But add the salt after you've taken it off of the cooker, adding it before makes it harder for the hemp to split.

The water that it is cooked in also makes a good ingredient for adding to method mixes, groundbait, spod mixes etc.

A good alternative to molasses is Marmite which, I guess, already contains molasses. Readily available, too.

Agree wholeheartedly with the gooner when he mentions the supermarket visit. Slightly off thread, if you have a branch of Farm Foods nearby take a look at their frozen sweetcorn. £1-00 per kilo bag and if you buy four you only pay for three. It's quality corn, too.

Ian

A good alternative to molasses is Marmite which, I guess, already contains molasses. Readily available, too.

Agree wholeheartedly with the gooner when he mentions the supermarket visit. Slightly off thread, if you have a branch of Farm Foods nearby take a look at their frozen sweetcorn. £1-00 per kilo bag and if you buy four you only pay for three. It's quality corn, too.

Ian

Yep I'm on that corn as well its good stuff for the money

Soak in water and molasses, cook, and use or freeze.

I don't often freeze it with the liquid in unless it is in a bucket. Often I have to freeze hemp in a bag as I don't usually have much room in a freezer, so need to save as much space as possible

If I freeze it I may tip some of the juice away into other containers and save for groundbait, or even freeze that in a separate container and pour it back onto the hemp when I do use it :wink:

If I have had to bag it, then I put water back into it when I arrive at the lake.

Shame about having to pour away the juices, but sometimes Needs Must and all that :?:wink:

I always boil the hemp in the water it has been stewing in and then bottle it but be warned don't keep the juice in the bottle under the sink like I did for 4 weeks and then opened it in front of the wife OMG I thought she was gonna kick my head in, it stunk like death and it kind of stuck in your nostrils do as nick says freeze it or bin it if your not using it straight away

Personally id not rinse after cooking. I wouldn't add any additive at thats stage. soak 24 hours cook until they split you'll see the kernels. strain the hemp and keep the both for mixing your spod mix. its at his stage ill use additives. while the hemp is still warm. personal choice for me would be a lille more hemp oil. tiger nut extract . the choice is unlimited

When soaking hemp seed 24hrs prior to cooking, I've been advised to add a good measure of molasses, when the hemp is cooked & I rinse it wth cold water to stop the cooking process, am I not washing out the molasses. :?

load of rubbish mate, the cooking liquor is the best bit of all, let it stew and steep and even go rancid in its own cooking juices, it will get better and better and better