Penn Carp Reels

There's a knockoff of the Penn baitrunner, I had one but unfortunately burned it out doing something stupid I don't want to talk about. I compared with a friend's Penns and most of the parts were perfect matches. I gave it to him for parts. The name escapes me now, but they're marketed in Australia and it was a nice reel.

Hah! Saratoga Salterus 50, not quite senile yet after all. We agreed they had to of come from the same factory. This was just after Penn stopped using the ads claiming to be the only remaining US manufacturer of reels.

Sea fishing reels painted black. Nothing wrong with that I guess though. I've used them on the bank before - Super smooth clutch and amazing line lay. (Due to the super slow oscillation.)

Sea fishing reels used for carp fishing, now there's a thought :wink::lol:

The original Shimano Baitrunners, I believe went by the name of Seaspins, and were marketed for sea fishing. Over time we carp anglers worked out exactly how good they were for carp fishing, a baitrunner saving us from loosening the drag on a rear drag reel, or fishing with an open bail (and line clip), or even with anti-reverse off for a proper reel churner, the baitrunner as it now stands clicking off on the turn of a reel handle and going to standard drag. Brilliant idea.

Shimano also sold the design to Daiwa, which after modification (Shimano gave them the flawed original version) they have marketed as their Bite N Run.

Since then various manufacturers have come up with an equivalent system.

As for Penn Reels, I know that the quality on many of them is very high, but it must be extrememly hard to break into any market in the United Kingdom, especially the carp fishing market; although Daiwa and Shimano rule the roost, smaller names are struggling to get into it, no matter how good they are as those 2 seem to have it mostly stitched, but there are some who are gradually making it.

Well all the reviews i found are bigging the penn's up albeit from sellers rather than actual users .

They certainly look the part as do the enormous mitchells that i saw a fella using last time i was fishing .

Since they are trying to carve a slice of the carping pie you think they'd be a little more attractively priced ? Surely if you can afford 2 or 3 of these you ARE going to go down the shimano or daiwa route are we not ?

At least the mitchell name has a fabulous reputation .

Ahhh those were the days

Penn are one of Pure Fishing's 'brands'. Along with Abu Garcia, Mitchell, JRC, Berkley and more recently Greys.

Mostly all made in China now but I've had no issues with the quality of any of these makes.( I've Abu multipliers/rods, Penn fixed spool/multipliers/rods, JRC stuff and loads of Berkley braid) I'd pick a Penn multi over it's Shimano/Daiwa equivalent any day.

I got some of the "enormous Mitchells" last week and used them for the first time today.

Solid, great line lay, excellent clutch, well balanced and three for £170 from England Angling. Very impressed.

If they had Daiwa written on them they'd be twice the price and flying off the shelves.

My first carp fishing reels in the 80s were Mitchell 410s but since then I've not seen a Mitchell that I thought I would be happy with. The Avocasts have changed that view.

I also had a look at the Penns- they looked good but no better than the Mitchells and much dearer

Got myself Mitchell Avocett 6500 big surf reels about 3 years ago ....

Quite a few where using them for spod/marker work but I've been using them as my main reels for the last 3 years .... Never had a problem with them there bullit proof and I've had them out in all weathers .....

Considering I paid about the same amount as what you'd pay for a 72hr session on some waters I reckon I got myself a bargin....

And if I choose to upgrade I've got myself spare marker/spod reels ...

Win,win in my book :wink::lol:

• 2 weeks later...
I got some of the "enormous Mitchells" last week and used them for the first time today.

Solid, great line lay, excellent clutch, well balanced and three for £170 from England Angling. Very impressed.

If they had Daiwa written on them they'd be twice the price and flying off the shelves.

My first carp fishing reels in the 80s were Mitchell 410s but since then I've not seen a Mitchell that I thought I would be happy with. The Avocasts have changed that view.

I also had a look at the Penns- they looked good but no better than the Mitchells and much dearer

I totally agree with you mate i recently had three from my local tackle shop at £55 each and i think they are the mutt nuts at the moment, i know only time will tell but up to now i can`t fault them.