What is your newest purchase

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A week on Redmire. My mate managed to get through last week so the 3 of us have the last week in September 

New sleep system - going down well!  Room for 2 no arguments!    

Gorgeous... sounds like Rolling Thunder 

Posted Images

Well it's a cork handled cane rod (which would tell me that it's possible rather old) looks in good condition although the eyes may need a good look over for nicks/sharp bits that will ruin the line

I take it no makers marks are present

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by spr1985

Well it's a cork handled cane rod (which would tell me that it's possible rather old) looks in good condition although the eyes may need a good look over for nicks/sharp bits that will ruin the line

I take it no makers marks are present

Thanks defo needs wd40 on joints as there brass and going green .

Eyes seem ok . What would this rod been used for as new to cain .

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I would go with brasso, not wd40 (personal opinion obviously) how long is the rod? I think came was a commonly used material back in the day....also I believe split cane was used in fly fishing rods (I'm sure someone will correct if wrong) I would hazard a guess at it being a general course fishing rod (again I might be wrong)

I would go with brasso, not wd40 (personal opinion obviously) how long is the rod? I think came was a commonly used material back in the day....also I believe split cane was used in fly fishing rods (I'm sure someone will correct if wrong) I would hazard a guess at it being a general course fishing rod (again I might be wrong)

14ft and like a whip not much of a back bone.

I would hazard a guess its a float or light ledger.

Looking at getting a center pin reel.

Going to use as that trotting and light ledger

Ps thanks spr getting brasso tomorrow.

Edited by David_Ridgers

I could be wrong, but it looks like a fibreglass rod blank with decorative whipping to make it look like a cane rod. Everything looks a tad too uniform for me.... Btw, apparently, HP sauce is good for cleaning brass up.... Brasso was a good shout tho'

Thats why i asked still for free not complaining at all actually intrested in what could use it for .

As for the mark it's "something" of "something" lol bc makes a valid point it is very uniform so he may be right on the fibreglass thing

maybe old bud but as long as the reel seats are good and the eyes and whippings are in an acceptable condition, depending on the maker you may have anything up to £500 worth of antique rod there sp :o

as you say tho, nice find :wink:

maybe old bud but as long as the reel seats are good and the eyes and whippings are in an acceptable condition, depending on the maker you may have anything up to £500 worth of antique rod there sp :o

as you say tho, nice find :wink:

Yea all good :) brass needs a clean and going to get a centre pin n 8lb line for trotting.

It wont compare to the materials of today, the ferrules are also prone to sticking, never was an expensive rod, Milbro enterprise was the one everybody wanted to own back in the day, but hey its a usable tool and will catch you lots of fish/

Again it was free so not going to worry . Was just curious as to what she is. As the lad had no idea .

To be honest looks much better then ngt rods .

And will be using for trotting fun on the river with a center pin :) a nice break from heavy gear .